Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:42 am

Never got one, but a mate of mine seemed to have one everyday. Little astronaut toys, yes?

He was the one that there's always one of in every school - the one who had all the Turtles, all the Jurassic Park stuff, a Mega Drive, Mega CD, Master System, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Game Boy, Amiga... And he ALWAYS had Pop Tarts in his house.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

this might be unlikely, because not only was i little, we moved around a lot when i was younger, so i'm not sure where we were living when i used to have them. i have a feeling it was whilst we lived in the yemen, but who knows. they were triangular cartons of juice - orange i think - but they tasted different to normal orange juice (probably no oranges anywhere near them or something!). anybody know what it might have been? or whether you can still get them? would have been in the 80s.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:26 pm

thingonaspring wrote:this might be unlikely, because not only was i little, we moved around a lot when i was younger, so i'm not sure where we were living when i used to have them. i have a feeling it was whilst we lived in the yemen, but who knows. they were triangular cartons of juice - orange i think - but they tasted different to normal orange juice (probably no oranges anywhere near them or something!). anybody know what it might have been? or whether you can still get them? would have been in the 80s.
I remember them but I couldn't tell you what they were called!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 am

Sun Lolly?

You're supposed to freeze them, but they can consumed as a drink if you REALLY want to. Still available!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 am

That's not the ones I was thinking of, they would have been around in the early 80s.....

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 am

same here - but i guess it could have been a modern version of it.
i wish i could remember something about the name. maybe it was "juicy" or "sunny" or "calypso" or something.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 pm

hmm.
this could be it... but it says it died out in the 60s?! so unless it was whilst i lived in the yemen and they were a bit behind :lol:

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Either that or they were really past their use by date.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm

i did say they had a unique taste! :lol:

Twinbee

Post by Twinbee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

I remember when McD used to have 'rootbeer' on the menu. I think they stopped doing it in the early 90's. I loved that drink. You can still buy it in cans though made by a&w. Or better still, a root beer float!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm

^Ooooh, yeah....loved that 'medicinal' flavour it had. God knows why they discontinued it, it was lovely. :(

Home Bargains still do it, though the stuff they do is partially sweetened with aspartame and the flavour suffers as a result (it doesn't taste quite the same). You can also get sarsaparilla on the same 'label' but that again is slightly f*cked up by the aspartame. When I used to visit Morecambe as a child in the mid-80s, used to be able to get yummy, cold sarsaparilla from the rock shops and also get nettle beer (which sounds vile but is bloody lovely). That's what I miss about the 80s, all the pops/soft drinks these days taste really processed, there's not enough variation and if you want nice pop, you've got to pay well over the odds for stuff like Fentiman's (which is nice n' all but WELL overpriced).

Anyway, on a different note, anyone remember a brief fad in the early/mid-80s when supermarkets started mixing orange juice and milk and sold it in cartons and bottles??? Sounds vile, *was* pretty vile, didn't really catch on.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Does anyone remember the Alton Towers Nemesis drink? It was kind of liquorice-ey.

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Who wants to back my campaign for the return of Savoury Beef Doritos?

Please note that this isn't an actual campaign but feel free to start one yourself.

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Burger King anyone?

Nearly all of their restaurants look like they haven't seen a paintbrush since the 90's.

Apart from those La-De-Da Angus burgers, the menu also seems to be stuck firmly in the 90's.

The companies marketing and publicity seems to be about 15 years out of date.

My local one even still has one of those Barnardo's coin spinners that used to be everywhere a couple decades ago..

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 pm

^ We don't even have a BK in the high street anymore, just a drive-through in one of the retail parks on the outskirts.
Mind you, with a Maccy D's, KFC, three Gregg's, a Nando's, Subway, Chicken Cottage, Sayers, Domino's and endless chippies, kebab houses, pizza joints, Chinese and Indians they got crowded out!