Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

delbert_trout

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by delbert_trout » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 pm

^ Don't remember it, but banana-flavoured Lilt sounds like a bloody nice idea! I'd buy it.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:26 am

Banana's one of those flavours that works better in a milkshake, frankly. The consistency I don't think is right for carbonated drinks.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 am

Megamixer wrote:Not sure if I mentioned this before but I remember being given a promo can of a new flavour of Lilt once. It was one of those mini cans and part of the flavour was banana but I can't remember anything else about it. Did anybody else get one of these cans? Am I just going mad?
I believe it was Banana and Peach.....never tried it personally, but it would seem I'm not missing much...

http://snackspot.org.uk/thread.php?story=0307171636daa
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Did the Rev. write that?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Oh, speaking of milkshakes earlier - can you still get lime Crusha? Shouldn't have worked, but it did.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Oh, speaking of milkshakes earlier - can you still get lime Crusha? Shouldn't have worked, but it did.
Whenever I go on holiday to south Devon, there's still a few cafes that serve it. Lime Crusha blended with ice-cream to make a lovely thick shake...mmm. There was one cafe with a whole shelf of around 10-15 different varieties of Crusha :shock:

Haven't seen it in the shops for ages though and the wholesaler where I work doesn't carry it either.

Interestingly, there also used to be Pineapple and Forest Fruit flavours which disappeared at around the same time. I even wrote to Crusha (I know it's sad but I was a kid) and they sent a reply along the expected lines of "they're a poor seller so we don't make them widely available".
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:32 pm

I still see the modern crusha. Don't know if it's the same thing tho ?
Also, Northumberland Fudge ? Kind of nutty and fudgy cover in chocolate. Sold in chunks and by weight from a jar and you'd get it in a bag like a 10p mix. They also did mint and IIRC orange flavours. For a while my local two newsagents had all 3 yar!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 pm

i have been trying to recall a sweet from my childhood,
it was a mint chew,individually wrapped like opal fruits,quite hard untill chewed a bit,they were half green half white and i recall the advert on tv for them had something to do with ice skating.
a bit vague but anyone recall these and if so WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY CALLED?please.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i have been trying to recall a sweet from my childhood,
it was a mint chew,individually wrapped like opal fruits,quite hard untill chewed a bit,they were half green half white and i recall the advert on tv for them had something to do with ice skating.
a bit vague but anyone recall these and if so WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY CALLED?please.
Pacers?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:01 am

SoupDragon wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:i have been trying to recall a sweet from my childhood,
Pacers?
Yep sounds like Pacers to me.
50510_55771732265_6556305_n.jpg
50510_55771732265_6556305_n.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:59 pm

yes it was pacers,at first i thought it didn't sound right but after googling and searching youtube for the advert you are correct.thanks SoupDragon and djcarlos :D
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Sticking with the mint theme, remember when they sold what were allegedly the bits stamped out to make the holes in Polos?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Sticking with the mint theme, remember when they sold what were allegedly the bits stamped out to make the holes in Polos?
POLO HOLES

Limited edition though........
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:53 pm

I remember getting a 'Lilt' rip-off as a kid called 'One Cal', I think they did a few other flavours too.
Oh and 'Logger' bars :D .... he he... with it's Monty Python Lumberjack-type song advert :lol:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:31 am

markopoloman wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:Sticking with the mint theme, remember when they sold what were allegedly the bits stamped out to make the holes in Polos?
POLO HOLES

Limited edition though........
Dunno why I couldn't remember THAT name - must have been so obvious it was in a blind spot in my mind.