If the controller fits..

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Genuine or unofficial controllers?

Its all about style and class,i want the real controller!.
89%
I don't care,as long i can play the game!.
11%

Total votes: 18

Fred83

If the controller fits..

Post by Fred83 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:41 pm

On ebay you can often get unofficial controllers for your retro consoles.I had have some in past before and had some good use out of them.Sometimes the price of them makes them appealing.I know most of us rather the genuine controllers for comfort and style.What unofficial controllers have you bought,what's your own experience with them?.Nyself i have unofficial megadrive six button controller which does the job fine and would have no hesitation buying another one.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarance

Re: If the controller fits..

Post by clarance » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Well, a bit of both really - all Commodore controllers were pants, right up to the CD32 controller, but I have to have them just to make the system look complete.
There's a competition-pro CD32 controller that goes for silly money on ebay that I would quite like just to play the games in a little more comfort.

All third party Gamecube controllers that I've tried are terrible - you just have to have an official one.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:16 pm

For consoles like the 3DO, the official pads are really expensive and rare. I picked up a 6 button pad by Gamester for a couple of quid boxed though.

Anything common like the PS2 though, I try and get official. Sometimes I prefer to have a few official pads 'saved up' and just use some competent third-party pads until they die.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Always the real controller for me - never been overly impressed with the 3rd party ones ive used in the past... :(

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:23 pm

anyone have experience with unofficial snes ones on ebay?.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:58 pm

I have one of those clear snes pads, I used to have one when I first owned a snes and thought they were a shed load better than the official ones.
Last edited by felgekarp on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:40 am

I've got a couple of 3rd party clones of the original SNES pads and they're awful. The controls are all spongey and the plastic of the pad flexes under stress.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 am

iv'e tried third party pads for snes, n64, xbox and saturn the only half decent one was for the snes (it had autofire switches) but was more uncomfortable than the standard pad.

the problem with third party stuff (in the west at least) is the materials are always lower quality than the original pads. those GAMEware peripherals in particular were always awful, especially stuff like memory cards that wipe themselves etc.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:41 pm

The only 3rd party controller I will ever use on a regular basis is this one:
Logitech wireless PS2 action controller, just as good as a dualshock imo

The thing I find with 3rd party stuff is that the analogue sticks just aren't right... the deadzones are all to c0ck or too tight or flimsy

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:40 am

There will come a time, when all the original controllers will die, and we will all have to use 3rd party :cry:

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 am

The third-party controllers I've played on (SNES, PSone, N64) I've played on have been pretty shabby in comparison to the official versions and have put me off them for good.

I can't stand using second-hand controllers, when the action has been played out of them. It's even worse if they're grubby, I've been horrified by how dirty some pads I've been sent off e-bay are. The further back you go with consoles, the harder it is to get a new (or acceptable) official pad, it's a p*sser.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 am

Official ones for me. I remember going through a daft phase when the Playstation first came out and trying all these, what I thought, cooler looking 3rd party controllers :roll: none of them came close to the original (imo).

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:17 am

The only 3rd party controller I'm interested in is a Hori N64 controller. The Nintendo original is OK to use, but after a while when the stick comes loose (which doesn't take long on some controllers) they're downright horrible.

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:27 am

I've always thought that if you spend so much money on consoles and games, might as well buy real controllers. I keep thinking that substitutes aren't as great and won't last. I prefer to have the real thing. I remember when I got my last console, the main controller had a sticker on it, whilst the second one was a free one that came with a package deal, and I wouldn't let anyone use my 'main one' just cause it was the actual one that came with the console itself lol.

crumpta1632

Post by crumpta1632 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm

I have a couple of 3rd party controllers, mostly for the Mega Drive, the Gamester 3rd party pads that were released at the time the MD was out are fine, but I bought the Blaze Mega Drive (mostly out of morbid curiosity to see just how bad it really was) and the controllers that came with that were terrible! The D-Pad is raised far to high and unresponsive! Performing special attacks in Mortal Kombat/SF2 is nigh on impossible.

So while I do prefer the original controllers - I prefer to keep them to one side and use the 3rd party ones from the day as I don’t care so much if they break. Just keep away from 3rd party controllers built recently!