What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

delbert_trout

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 am

I got every issue of 'Sonic the Comic' for a long time as a kid, loved it. I still have many of them today (the ones in reasonable condition with the covers intact that is, the rest I chucked) as I had thought about maybe eBaying them - but not too sure I want to part with them now!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 am

I used to be really into Comics when I were a lad!

From about 2 or 3 my mum used to by me Playtime, which featured BBC Characters such as Potman Pat, King Rollo and The Mr. Men! :D

Then as I got a bit older I got into The Beano and Dandy.

I was also a really huge fan of Whizzer And Chips, and I also loved Whoopee! In many ways I prefered them to The Beano or Dandy.

I've got a few Sonic comics lying about somewhere.

I first read 2000 AD for the first time in about 1990 at my Cousin's house. He let me borrow, and eventually gave me a stack and I've been a fan ever since!
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Naitch wrote:From about 2 or 3 my mum used to by me Playtime, which featured BBC Characters such as Potman Pat, King Rollo and The Mr. Men! :D

Was that the one that used to feature Sooty & Sweep and The Moomins?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Anyone remember Triffic or Fizzog - both early 90s, neither lasted very long. I always seemed to go down an odd route...
Success! Patience paid off, just got the first issue of Fizog from eBay for £3 including postage - I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives, obviously.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Mainly Beano and Dandy.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:00 am

I've just read on Lew Stringer's blog that Classics from the Comics is finishing in October. :cry: :cry:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Oh balls, just as it was getting to be like a "proper" magazine, with letters and requests and everything :(

Been going for ages that one, I know I used to get it semi-regularly during my Beano subscription days.

In happier news (sort of), Fizog arrived today, and it's a strange comic, for sure. Like a half-way point between Buster and Viz, with most of the stories ending with the main character's death. Unpleasant, but strangely fun. A bit like Fizz - anyone remember that one?
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:55 pm

^I don't remember Fizog but it sounds interesting, I'll check it out, Viz inspired many strange (and mainly bad) comics around the late 80s/early 90s. I remember this awesomely offensive comic called 'Ziggy', it had these vile and obscene (and mainly extremely funny) jabs at celebrities, I remember something like 'ten facts about Roy Castle', which was *incredibly* disgusting and childishly hilarious - anyone remember this comic (think the issue in question had Bros dressed in Nazi uniforms on the cover)?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Haven't read through this whole thread, but I used to read The Beano, The Dandy, Oink!, Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Topper, The Beezer, Whoopee, Nutty and Hoot! mainly. Most now sadly out of print :( (Whizzer & Chips was probably my fave of the lot). To a lesser extent, I also used to read The Eagle and 2000ad and any Marvel/DC stuff that my local newsagent got in...it was actually through my local newsagent that I first discovered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles long before they became a phenomenon. Later on, I also read Deadline for a while (more of a lifestyle magazine but I used to love the comic strips in it, especially Tank Girl and Milk & Cheese), also at one point I had a complete collection of the Marvel UK Beavis & Butt-Head comics (not sure what happened to them :? ) and have still got the complete 'Tank Girl' mini series that Manga Comics published around the time the Tank Girl movie came out.

Have also been reading Viz since I was about 11 and now subscirbe to it. Used to also like Spit! comic (a lot of the strips were actually funnier than Viz's) and Zit, but I don't think either of those are published anymore. One good thing with Viz though is that Lew Stringer is now one of their regular artists, I used to really love his stuff in the other comics I used to read :D

EDIT: Oh, and loved the short lived Scream horror comic as well, some excellent stuff in that. I remember getting a free pair of Dracula fangs with issue 1. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Thing is, most comics like that were shit. Viz was obviously what they all wanted to be really ("when they grew up", LOL), and so you can't really get too thrilled by Dennis the fucking Menace giving Poofy Wotsit a bit of a wedgie when Biffa Bacon's getting sledged in the sausage-yacht by his own mother on a regular basis, right?

Viz is currently the only other thing I have on subscription apart from RG - I still have yet to find out who subscribed me, but I owe you a doubleplus reach-around... :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Although props for mentioning Spit and/or Zit - "The Pig Sex/Friendship Story" remains one of the best pieces of comic art I've ever experienced, along with being one of the funniest fucking things in the world. I'm sure I still have it somewhere, it needs framing (again)...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:also at one point I had a complete collection of the Marvel UK Beavis & Butt-Head comics (not sure what happened to them :? )
I have several of those, amazing artwork in them. Due to not having Sky or cable at the time, those comics were all I knew of Beavis & Butt-Head.
The Ren & Stimpy comics from Marvel were equally great, I have all but ONE of those (the content I DO have, in an anthology, but it'd be nice to have the actual comic).

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 pm

The Master wrote:Although props for mentioning Spit and/or Zit - "The Pig Sex/Friendship Story" remains one of the best pieces of comic art I've ever experienced, along with being one of the funniest fucking things in the world. I'm sure I still have it somewhere, it needs framing (again)...
There was some great stuff in those, especially Spit Comic, because Spit's stories were usually blatent rip offs of Dandy and Beano characters but with adult humour. One of the other things I used to like in Spit was when they got hold of one of the adventure stories from a comic like Commando and kept all the same artwork but completely changed the captions for each picture and photoshopped some of the pictures a bit to suit what they'd written.

They did a short lived spin off comic of their 'adult adventure stories' as well, it was called The Scurvy Dog. It only ran for about 3 issues I think :( But it was funny as hell.

The fake news reports in Spit were funnier than Viz's as well, I remember one about an exhibition into an Egyptian tomb to find the treasure of a homosexual pharoah called 'Rama Lama Ding Dong'. :lol: :lol: There are some good fake news stories in Viz though, the ones with Professor Hugo Guthrie (a character they've made up) are good for a laugh, they had him saying once that that he'd found a pair of underpants in Tipton with a stain resembling the face of Christ in them :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:27 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:They did a short lived spin off comic of their 'adult adventure stories' as well, it was called The Scurvy Dog. It only ran for about 3 issues I think :( But it was funny as hell.
Ah, they had a few of those in the Oxfam on Bold Street recently - by the time I went back with money, they'd gone. Bugger?

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 am

TheBoingoBandit wrote:
Naitch wrote:From about 2 or 3 my mum used to by me Playtime, which featured BBC Characters such as Potman Pat, King Rollo and The Mr. Men! :D

Was that the one that used to feature Sooty & Sweep and The Moomins?
Think so!

I'll have a look through my archives over the Weekend and let you know... :)
Press Play On Tape