What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

covertagenda

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by covertagenda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Seem to remember StarLord had Ro-Busters and Strontium dog in it before they were in 2000AD.Will have to check my parents loft sometime to see if there are any still up there gathering dust :D

Wizpot

Post by Wizpot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:36 pm

They all ended up getting mashed together, Star lord, Tornado .... they become part of 2000ad in the end. Star lord was good, really liked that one. Forgot all about it just curiosity about what the gifts were sent me looking ..... they nearly as dusty as me now ... :shock:
If it's not nailed down it's Mine ... If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down ... .. ~Wiz~ 1966-NOW

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Always looking for friends on XBOX LIVE .. Request with Retro G

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Morkin wrote::lol:

I've just bought some Big Comic Fortnightly & Funny Fortnightly comics for a bit of fun. Let's hope I don't start collecting them. :P
Those are both fun and plentiful - but if you want a rewarding challenge, try tracking down every issue of Monster Fun. Very rarely appears on eBay, and when it does, people go mad for it. Even the comic fairs don't have all that many Monster Funs, and when they do, they tend to charge £5 per issue :shock:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am

JazzFunk wrote:Totally forgot about Whizzer & Chips, funnily I barely remember anything about it except I preferred it to Dandy and The Beano. I also had a 'Sparky' annual, quite a weird comic with a mix of cartoony strips and well-drawn 'serious' ones (I seem to remember one called "The Birdman Of Alsace" which I never read because it looked boring). And I used to get Oink! until i read that mini-issue of Viz that Your Sinclair gave away. After reading that, I never touched Oink! again (I got my mum to buy me as many back issues of Viz I could afford!) Viz was the funniest thing in the world, back in the late 80s.

Oink was one of my personal favourites. One of the few comics I made a point of keeping. I still have a fair few issues in a stack of old comics somewhere. Along with the 1988 annual. It was one of the few comics that really made me roll around laughing. Great times. I was perhaps a little young for Viz back then when Oink was still in print. But when I discovered it via a Commodore Format cover tape (I could be wrong on the mag-) with a playable demo of the Viz game on it, I had to locate a copy of the comic. I dont think I did until I was in first year in secondary school. The comics used to pass their way through inumerable hands in school. Usually read in groups behind the tennis courts. I later inherited a large stack of the compendiums from my uncle. Which I still have.

Besides that, I was an avid reader of the Beano. I had a subscription in the local newsagent who used to hold me a copy every week, along with the Dandy. My name scrawled in biro at the top of every issue. I sold them all to a second had comic store years ago to get cash, which was spent on a stack of second hand CD's

Occasionally I would get the Topper, the Beezer, Buster and Whizzer & Chips. And of course Big Comic and Funny Fortnightly.

Was never a big fan of the war comics, Had a few Victors, and Warlord. Used to get Battle quite a bit for the Action Force strip. There was a few issues of Eagle and 2000AD too. I really got into the 2000AD stuff in my early teens though.

Other stuff like the old Star Wars magazine format comic with the forgotten expanded universe stories. (I'd love to get my hands on some of them again) Again I had a subscription to that one at the local newsie, I was very, very young though so my Dad had to read them to me. And of course any comic based on a toy line that was popular at the time. Supernaturals, Ring Raiders, M.A.S.K., He Man, Thundercats, Transformers and so on. Most of these were donated to school markets and the likes.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:10 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Morkin wrote::lol:

I've just bought some Big Comic Fortnightly & Funny Fortnightly comics for a bit of fun. Let's hope I don't start collecting them. :P
Those are both fun and plentiful.
The first batch turned up today & having a quick look, there appears to be plenty to make me grin.

Nobby & His Hobbies
Fuss Pot
Chalky
The Bumpkin Billionaires

:lol:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:...but if you want a rewarding challenge, try tracking down every issue of Monster Fun. Very rarely appears on eBay, and when it does, people go mad for it. Even the comic fairs don't have all that many Monster Funs, and when they do, they tend to charge £5 per issue :shock:
Interesting. I think I need to have a good read about that one over at Comics UK. There are a few annuals on eBay at the moment, so I might be tempted to go for one of those to check it out.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Morkin wrote:I got The History of The Beano a while back & it's superb.

I've also slowly started to buy all The Beano collections that have been printed over the years.

The London based chain Book Warehouse are selling this for only £10 and Great British Comics for only five pounds.

http://www.thebookwarehouse.co.uk/Tempo ... ation.html

Red_Hot_Sax_Man

Post by Red_Hot_Sax_Man » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I wasn't into the DC or Marvel comics, or any other comic about Superheros ... but I was into the Beano and Dandy BIG TIME! I was a subscriber to the comics as well as the fan clubs.

I remember the Beano fan club sent me an official fan member card with authentic black plastic holder - a Dennis the Menace badge, a Gnasher (furry) badge as well as a load of other useless tack - well worth my Mums cash!

I recently bought a copy of the Beano for my sons - they, and I, were not impressed ... it has changed a whole lot.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:56 pm

TheBoingoBandit wrote: The London based chain Book Warehouse are selling this for only £10 and Great British Comics for only five pounds.
http://www.thebookwarehouse.co.uk/Tempo ... ation.html
That Great British Comics book is a nice read, except a lot of the strips printed in there are far too small to read. Still worth £5 though!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:59 am

This one?

£12 on Amazon. Been thinking about getting it for a while. Worth the 12 quid?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:07 am

Certainly is, it's fairly hefty and covers just about everything - not just your DC Thompsons and your Fleetways, but your Viz, 2000 AD and so on as well. Very colourful, but as demonstrated above, you can probably get it cheaper than £12.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Morkin wrote:This one?

£12 on Amazon. Been thinking about getting it for a while. Worth the 12 quid?

If you're interested, I might be willing to sell my copy (which is in very good rather than perfect condition).

Otherwise, I might be able to buy you one of the £5 copies and send it to you as long as you pay the postage as well.

If so, send me a private message.

This offer applies to anyone else on the forum.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 am

Many thanks for the kind offer. :D I'm going to have a look around my local shops for a copy, but if I can't find one, I might get back to you. Thanks again. :D

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Anyone remember Triffic or Fizzog - both early 90s, neither lasted very long. I always seemed to go down an odd route...

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Beano.
Dandy.
Marvel.
DC.
Total Carnage.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Anyone remember Triffic or Fizzog - both early 90s, neither lasted very long. I always seemed to go down an odd route...
No, but I'm intrigued enough to Google them.
EDIT:
Found something about Triffik, looks like fun! Those are Lew Stringer's drawings, right? Can't find anything Fizzog-related yet...

How about the Zig & Zag comics? They were a laugh, in their own special way.