What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lord Innit

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:42 am

I used to buy Action just to read the Hookjaw story.I remember there being some controversy about the graphic nature of the story and pictures.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 am

'Your memory hasn't failed you. The 13th Floor was reprinted in Eagle during the late 80s and early 90s.'

I thought it was Eagle too. Thanks! I remember it in Scream but was sure id read it elsewhere. Loved it :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 am

Whizzer and Chips is the only one I remember getting. I tended to spend my very limited pocket money on other things.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:22 am

Does anyone remember a cartoon strip that featured CB Radios? I have this memory of reading a comic that featured them, but can't remember which one.

EDIT

Found it. It was in Wow! :D
KBR - Kids Band Radio, about a group of CB radio users. A jargon guide (Yak Yak KBR) appears at the end of each week's strip to explain technical terms. The strip also includes a fan club (KBR Korner) featuring fellow CB Radio fans. Survived merger with Whoopee.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:18 pm

I used to read the Transformers comics as a kid, until in one of the seperate back stories, they turned some woman into a beasty, which scared the sh*t out of me!

Cant remember the name of the story, involved some underground stuff with men in weird suits, and some huge monster, one was green with a lizrd like appearance, the other was yellow with its ribs exposed. I remember they made it into an anime at some point :?

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:16 am

Following on from my mission to find Commando comics, I have found success! :D I found some in a rather large WH Smiths in Birmingham city centre. I bought two. At £1.35, their a bit more expensive now than I can remember back in the late 80's. I think they were 50p back then.

I also purchased a special edition of The Beano and The Dandy in the same anual. The strips are all from the 1980's, I can remember some of them too. :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:17 am

MattyC64c wrote:I also purchased a special edition of The Beano and The Dandy in the same anual. The strips are all from the 1980's, I can remember some of them too. :D
Oi! You're not supposed to get that until Xmas!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
MattyC64c wrote:I also purchased a special edition of The Beano and The Dandy in the same anual. The strips are all from the 1980's, I can remember some of them too. :D
Oi! You're not supposed to get that until Xmas!
Seconded! :P

Did anyone ever read Black Bob? I don't recall doing so, however, a lovely book came out recently that I only noticed thanks to Lew's blog & it's only £6.49.

Wizpot

Post by Wizpot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:27 am

The £1 shop recently did Beano & Dandy annuals, prob still do not been in for a while (got plenty of batteries :wink: )
If it's not nailed down it's Mine ... If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down ... .. ~Wiz~ 1966-NOW

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Always looking for friends on XBOX LIVE .. Request with Retro G

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 am

My first 'proper' comic was Knockout which I started getting in 1972. From there I went on to Whizzer & Chips and the occasional copy of Dandy or Beano bought by grandparents. From about 1974 I started getting Commando as well and then my grandmother started buying me Battle when it was first published. A lodger who lived with one of my grandmothers friends also kept me supplied with War and Battle picture libraries too.

Having a large family meant I had plenty of cousins and every so often they would send their comics over to me so I also got to read stuff like Valiant, TV21 and British Marvel imprints. My cousins in the US would also bring their older comics over to swap during the summer so I got to read 'Tomb of Dracula', 'Ghostrider', 'Moon Knight', 'The Punisher', 'Sgt Rock' and various others of the DC war comics as well (just recently DC have re-printed some of these as part of their showcase anthologies and it's great to be able to read titles like 'Enemy Ace', 'The Haunted Tank', 'The Unknown Soldier', 'The War That Time Forgot' and 'Sgt Rock' again).

I did start reading 2000AD from issue 1 but for some reason my mum took offence to it and banned me having it so I had to go round to a mates and read his copy. A similar thing happened with Action a year earlier.

I got the UK Marvel 'Star Wars' comics for a few years (still have them somewhere) and every so often would pick up random copies of Warlord, Bullet, Victor and Cor! Oddly I used to get Victor, Warlord and Beano annuals most years though.

In the 1980s I started getting 2000AD on a regular basis and picked up a fair few US copies of 'Indiana Jones'. I think the last comic I bought from start to end was the very short lived Toxic (not to be confused with the kids mag of the same name on sale nowadays) which was like 2000AD on drugs and drawn and written by a number of 2000AD artists and writers. However, I have recently been picking up a number of the Marvel, DC and 2000AD collections that are on sale along with the Commando, War Picture Library, Battle Picture Library, Air Ace and Battle comic anthologies.

So, over the years what with my family sending me comics, friends loaning me comics and me buying them I managed to get to read quite a few of the classics from the golden age of the late 60s to the late 80s.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:56 am

There was a guy selling a load of old Beanos yesterday in the carboot. Wish id grabbed them now :oops:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Morkin wrote:Did anyone ever read Black Bob? I don't recall doing so, however, a lovely book came out recently that I only noticed thanks to Lew's blog & it's only £6.49.

I prefer the Viz version...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am

:lol:

I've just bought some Big Comic Fortnightly & Funny Fortnightly comics for a bit of fun. Let's hope I don't start collecting them. :P

covertagenda

Post by covertagenda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Started with the Beano and Dandy,then moved on to Warlord,Commando,War picture Library.Then along came 2000AD,I seem to remember the fist edition came with a free spinner frisby type thing and the second with some stick on bionic patches,anybody remember that?

Wizpot

Post by Wizpot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:59 pm

2000AD 1st -spinner 2nd -stickers 3rd -secret wallet ..... I still got the mags.
Anyone remember Star Lord? Just found em, they were 2000ad-sh, didnt last long though ...
If it's not nailed down it's Mine ... If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down ... .. ~Wiz~ 1966-NOW

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Always looking for friends on XBOX LIVE .. Request with Retro G