What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Wil wrote:I never did go for the Beano or Dandy. As far as UK funnies go it was always the IPC stuff - Whizzer and Chips, Monster Fun etc. In the '70s my mainstays were all the UK Marvel titles and eventually 2000AD from '77. I remember the day I issue 1 of 2000AD well. I didn't have any money on me so my Mum bought it for me. If only she'd known the carnage of Harlem Heroes and the gore of Flesh that was going on inside!
There's a Harlem Heroes collection on the way, in fact it might be out this month, I've got mine on order.
Splink!

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Morkin wrote: And I'm hoping that someone will buy me this one for Christmas. (I see that the Christmas annuals are out already, but it's a tradition that I get them on the 25 December)

Image
Looks fun this year - it's a bit early for annuals though isn't it? I know Selfridge's in London put there decorations up on Monday (marking "145 Days to Go"), but still... Yeah, looks nice.

I have a really nice book called DC Thompson's Firsts, complete fascimiles of all of DC Thompson's first issues (including the Beano, Dandy, Eagle and Sparky) - can't find any evidence of its existence on the Internet though...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Used to be a masssive reader of The Beano and Dandy in the early/mid 80s, plus 2000AD in the Ron Smith years, nobody ever did Dredd as well as Ron, he really *is* a f*cking fantastic comic artist, and he must be about 85 now, must've been in his sixties when he did Dredd.

That and Scream . It's amazing, in the 80s, comic producers assumed kids had been exposed to video nasties/Hammer Horrors, that comic had a proper adult fear contained within it. One of the early issues came complete with a plastic spider, yet - for an 8-year old - that gift felt so pitiful and childish compared to the actual adult sh!t /themes I was witnessing in the comic(!)

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Morkin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:46 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
I have a really nice book called DC Thompson's Firsts, complete fascimiles of all of DC Thompson's first issues (including the Beano, Dandy, Eagle and Sparky) - can't find any evidence of its existence on the Internet though...
I bought that about a month ago! :P I saw it mentioned on Lew Stringer's blog & found a copy going quite cheap on eBay. There's a very small mention of it here.

User avatar
The Mask Seller
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:34 am

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by The Mask Seller » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:39 am

JazzFunk wrote:That and Scream . It's amazing, in the 80s, comic producers assumed kids had been exposed to video nasties/Hammer Horrors, that comic had a proper adult fear contained within it. One of the early issues came complete with a plastic spider, yet - for an 8-year old - that gift felt so pitiful and childish compared to the actual adult sh!t /themes I was witnessing in the comic(!)
I'd completely forgotten about Scream, it was properly scary as a kid, I'd love to read them again and see if I was just being a wuss. Without looking on the 'net I remember stories about a murderous, hunchback retard called 'Uncle Terry' who was locked away in someones attic, The 13th Floor (can only remember the title), a story about a pack of murderous domestic cats and another about a murderous Punch and Judy show. I'm going to look it up, see what horrific repressed memories I can exhume.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:04 am

What was that evil elevator (Max I think it was called) that took people to a 13th floor in? Eagle or 2000AD?
Image

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 am

Morkin wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
I have a really nice book called DC Thompson's Firsts, complete fascimiles of all of DC Thompson's first issues (including the Beano, Dandy, Eagle and Sparky) - can't find any evidence of its existence on the Internet though...
I bought that about a month ago! :P I saw it mentioned on Lew Stringer's blog & found a copy going quite cheap on eBay. There's a very small mention of it here.
Ah, glad to hear it! It's a great book - think I got it on my 10th birthday or something.

Had this one until a few years ago:
Image
Who knows why I got rid of it? I certainly don't.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 am

Sad to know Lord Snooty has gone too :(
Image

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Morkin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Had this one until a few years ago:
Image
Who knows why I got rid of it? I certainly don't.
I love those Broons/Oor Wullie books - I've got every edition since they started. :P This thread is proving rather dangerous actually as I'm now constantly looking at old comics on eBay. :oops:

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9034
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

SoupDragon wrote:What was that evil elevator (Max I think it was called) that took people to a 13th floor in? Eagle or 2000AD?
That was in Scream.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
Wizpot
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: Outside The Known Universe
Contact:

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Wizpot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Used to read Warlord and anything by Marvel.
Still got 1st 20 issues of 2000ad ....
If it's not nailed down it's Mine ... If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down ... .. ~Wiz~ 1966-NOW

                                               Image

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Always looking for friends on XBOX LIVE .. Request with Retro G

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:01 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:What was that evil elevator (Max I think it was called) that took people to a 13th floor in? Eagle or 2000AD?
That was in Scream.
Ah right, thanks Jdanddiet.
Image

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Totally forgot about Whizzer & Chips, funnily I barely remember anything about it except I preferred it to Dandy and The Beano. I also had a 'Sparky' annual, quite a weird comic with a mix of cartoony strips and well-drawn 'serious' ones (I seem to remember one called "The Birdman Of Alsace" which I never read because it looked boring). And I used to get Oink! until i read that mini-issue of Viz that Your Sinclair gave away. After reading that, I never touched Oink! again (I got my mum to buy me as many back issues of Viz I could afford!) Viz was the funniest thing in the world, back in the late 80s.

knight_beat
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: London... Home of Danger Mouse

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by knight_beat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

SoupDragon wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:What was that evil elevator (Max I think it was called) that took people to a 13th floor in? Eagle or 2000AD?
That was in Scream.
Ah right, thanks Jdanddiet.
Your memory hasn't failed you. The 13th Floor was reprinted in Eagle during the late 80s and early 90s.

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Just learned that John Sherwood - who drew the Bash Street Kids in the 1970s and who created Les Pretend, died in 2003. This is sad.

Also, Bill Ritchie - who created/drew the likes of Baby Crockett and Hungry Hoss for the Beezer, died in January of this year.

All these names I wouldn't know without the likes of Crikey! magazine (and of course, Wikipedia). It's nice to put names to the comics I grew up with, but sad to see the sculptors of the past die like that. Very sad indeed.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest