Page 19 of 22

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:00 am
by TwoHeadedBoy
Cheers, here's hoping :D

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:52 pm
by Spector
I still have all the 1986 issues of Oink! comic, a genuinely funny type of Viz for the Beano crowd that wanted something a bit edgier. Also loved The Eagle from 82-87. One day I'll read through these old Eagle issues again.

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:00 pm
by spuggybridge
Whizzer and Chips, Dandy, Beano, Scream, Roy of the Rovers, Return of the Jedi there was a lot more (especially someone else's on my paper round) but my fading memory is playing up again

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 pm
by stayAwhile
MattyC64c wrote:Ahh, Comics, they arn't as popular as they used to be on they. Did you ask for the Beano and Dandy Comics when you were a kid? I did, in fact I had several, I got rid of them though years ago. Shame really, they would have picked up a few quid these days.

Anyone remember 'Commando'? It was a small comic book with different World War II stories. I had loads of them when I was a nipper too. How about 'Eagle'? I'm sure there were various cartoon stories in there, Dan Dare featured prominently.

Another favourite of mine was the classic 2000AD, which I understand is still going strong.

What were your comics back in the day?

mainly the beano , marvel and 2000ad then anything that looked good later on I got into not so well knowns such as image , malibu, valiant and there was a company that did full magazines of dread and rouge trooper

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 am
by ArchaicKoala
The Beano and Sonic the Comic were my weekly reads as a kid :D

I should still have a near complete set of Sonic Comics in my mums loft somewhere, I'll have to have a look this weekend whilst I try and track down my Atari 2600

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 pm
by TwoHeadedBoy
If anyone DOES have any Sonic The Comic(s) left over, and they're looking to clear space, I'm still missing a few issues...

Namely issues 2, 4, 7, 9, 16, 18, 22, 23, 71, 73, 77, 120, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 153, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 169, 170, 171...

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 pm
by knightintosh
Spector wrote:I still have all the 1986 issues of Oink! comic, a genuinely funny type of Viz for the Beano crowd that wanted something a bit edgier. Also loved The Eagle from 82-87. One day I'll read through these old Eagle issues again.
Good on you! :D Oink! still remains as my favourite comic of all time, not only was it genuinely doing something different and recycling 1930s humour, but it was created as a creator-owned comic too. So instead of the characters belonging to the publisher, they belonged to those that created them, hence why there's Oink! characters popping up in new stuff even to this day!

If you're interested I also do a blog about the comic, reading each issue 27 years to the day of its release (up to #32 at the mo) and the creators have been awesome in helping me with behind-the-scenes info and funny stories, all okay'ed by the publisher too. There's also a buzzing Facebook group full of those that worked on it and all us "pig pals" ;D

Charlie Brooker even started out on it!

[url]http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk"[/url]

Image

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am
by Treguard
This is as good a place as any, but the Humble Bundle are running a IDW Transformers bundle until August 6th. The 'pay what you want ($1 or more) offer is 4 of the Transformers Classics collections, fetauring most of the original US run of the Marvel comic. Granted most of the best stuff was UK only (Dinobot Hunt, In the National Interest, City of Fear, Target 2006 etc) but thats a lot of comic for very little money, and it comes in formats to fit any device. If you pay $15.00 you get the first two volumes of the current ongoing series too. It's a seriously good offer IMO.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?tran ... s%20Bundle

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm
by Mallo
I used to love reading the Camelot 3000 series by Mike Barr & Brian Bolland.

Bolland really could draw women well! I think I fell in love with a few of his characters... ;-)

Image

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm
by Shinobi
3DwhO wrote:
Good on you! :D Oink! still remains as my favourite comic of all time, not only was it genuinely doing something different and recycling 1930s humour, but it was created as a creator-owned comic too. So instead of the characters belonging to the publisher, they belonged to those that created them, hence why there's Oink! characters popping up in new stuff even to this day!

If you're interested I also do a blog about the comic, reading each issue 27 years to the day of its release (up to #32 at the mo) and the creators have been awesome in helping me with behind-the-scenes info and funny stories, all okay'ed by the publisher too. There's also a buzzing Facebook group full of those that worked on it and all us "pig pals" ;D

Charlie Brooker even started out on it!
I got a sticker of Oink on one of my boxes some green thing saying "love me love my liver" What is that thing actually called and does your site have any scanned strips of it?

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 pm
by felgekarp
Mallo wrote:I used to love reading the Camelot 3000 series by Mike Barr & Brian Bolland.

Bolland really could draw women well! I think I fell in love with a few of his characters... ;-)

Image

Nice pick sir, I agree about Bolland as well.

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:23 am
by knightintosh
Shinobi wrote:
I got a sticker of Oink on one of my boxes some green thing saying "love me love my liver" What is that thing actually called and does your site have any scanned strips of it?
Yes that's Burp the Smelly Alien from Outer Space by Jeremy Banx. His internal organs often came out to do things independently of his body! Here's a link to all the posts which have featured him so far:

http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Burp

Image

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 pm
by Shinobi
3DwhO wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
I got a sticker of Oink on one of my boxes some green thing saying "love me love my liver" What is that thing actually called and does your site have any scanned strips of it?
Yes that's Burp the Smelly Alien from Outer Space by Jeremy Banx. His internal organs often came out to do things independently of his body! Here's a link to all the posts which have featured him so far:

http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Burp

Image
That's awesome I read your webpage and those Burp are quite un PC especially for a kids comic, I'm assuming this was for kids and not adults like Viz.. That 'Tom Thug character I used to see advertised in C&VG but he was in something called Zit I think

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm
by knightintosh
No Tom Thug was an Oink! original and then went to Buster a few years later when Oink! folded. There was an Oink! computer game though so that's probably how you saw him in C&VG.

Yeah it was aimed at 9-13 year olds but never spoke down to them and was truly modern in its humour, so it ended up being a hit with people of all ages, whereas most kids' comics were still stuck in the 1950s with their jokes. You could see it as un-PC these days, but back then it was simply speaking to the kids with a modern sense of humour. Burp slicing the top of Ronald Reagan's head off to speak to the small person controlling his brain was just seen as a brilliant piece of satirical humour. If you look back then we also had Spitting Image and Monty Python, both modern 80s humour that's still very funny and relevant today but could be seen as un-PC in these days of "safer"humour, but it's not really un-PC :)

Thanks very much for reading the blog, I'm still loving it and a new issue goes up tomorrow with the THUNDERPIGS on the cover :D

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am
by TwoHeadedBoy
Shinobi wrote:That 'Tom Thug character I used to see advertised in C&VG but he was in something called Zit I think
You might be thinking of Billy Butt (He's a Right Hard Nut), another "bully" character who appeared in Acne comic, which was advertised fairly often in C&VG and the like (including those phone-in competition pages where you could win pinball machines and the like).