What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 am

Your outburst led me to investigate my collection - seems I was getting Zit and Acne mixed up (easily done!).

Now, Smut, THERE's a crap comic!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 pm

I recently discovered the Digital Comic Museum.. http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

It's filled with loads of Public Domain American Comics, including loads with stories that were reprinted in those Alan Class reprints like "Creepy Worlds" and the like...I've put a couple of stories up on my Blog, so if you want you can check that out to see the sort of stuff you can find, but yeah...Great site! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Fizzywoz

Post by Fizzywoz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 am

I was wondering if any of you guys think the Beano Summer Special in WHsmith is worth the price? They are selling it at my local WHsmith for £4.99. Do you think i should get it?

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Fizzywoz wrote:I was wondering if any of you guys think the Beano Summer Special in WHsmith is worth the price? They are selling it at my local WHsmith for £4.99. Do you think i should get it?
You should buy it, if only to keep the British Comic industry alive!! :wink:

To be honest, I've no idea what the Beano is like these days, but the Dandy has become all Reality TV obsessed....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 am

Fizzywoz wrote:I was wondering if any of you guys think the Beano Summer Special in WHsmith is worth the price? They are selling it at my local WHsmith for £4.99. Do you think i should get it?
I've got it, and it's very nice - no new material besides the cover, mind - it's all reprints of various Summer Specials from the last 20-30 years. Very good all the same, there's a few stories in there and I've been like "Oh yes, I remember reading this one in a caravan in Wales" - so good in that sense.

Went out comic-hunting yesterday and came back with:
-Funny Fortnightly, issues 2-27;
-Issues 1-3 of Zippy Stories
-Gas (another Viz rip-off), Vol.2 No.1
-And a brand new Jim Woodring book I'd never heard of!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

lauraleebm

Post by lauraleebm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Mortadelo y Filemon was most famous comic on Spain. It was great!
Visit my sexy retro blog at http://desvandelaura.blogspot.com/

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Not really meant for kids, but I was about 12 or 13, what about Zit? Lambrusco the alcoholic sheep, Sam 'n Ella, Middle-Aged Melvin, Private censored... great characters and slicker-looking than Viz.
Just done a big fat blog post about Zit :D

http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk ... emish.html

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 pm

beano
dandy
whizzer and chips
shoot
look in
EAGLE MAG (which i still have most of them!)

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Morkin wrote:I nabbed a copy of Eagle Annual: The Best of the 1950s Comic for £4.99 in my local Works Shop last week.
That's an atrocity, that is. Just random pages with no complete stories. Far better to get a real old annual, or the collected hardback Dan Dare stories. I just wish they'd produce the 80's Eagle 'Dan Dare and the Return of the Mekon' as a collected novel.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm

i used to read:
beano (i joined the fan club and had the wallet and badges)
dandy (same as beano)
the occasional 2000 AD
oink (i used to think these were brilliant comics)
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

joefish wrote:
Morkin wrote:I nabbed a copy of Eagle Annual: The Best of the 1950s Comic for £4.99 in my local Works Shop last week.
That's an atrocity, that is. Just random pages with no complete stories. Far better to get a real old annual, or the collected hardback Dan Dare stories. I just wish they'd produce the 80's Eagle 'Dan Dare and the Return of the Mekon' as a collected novel.
Think I heard somewhere that the current "owners" of Dan Dare are more or less burying him, and come down on anyone like a ton of bricks if they try and do anything with him. Over on the Comics UK forum, someone scanned in a few pages for people to look at and they were "ordered" to remove them.

Maybe they're planning something big, maybe they have a weird vendetta against him, who knows?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I got bought the Beano every week, I think my mum was more into it than I was though. Got hundreds of them going back to the early 80's in the loft at my mums. Proper heartbreak when Gnasher went missing for months that time... Got years and years of Beano and Dandy annuals, some not in great condition going spare if anyones interested? Also got Transformers up until Marvel stop publishing it. The UK stuff was far superior to the American comic. My brother had a habit of subscribing to comics related to Cartoons that then stopped after about 12 issues, so we had MASK, Thundercats, Real Ghostbusters (which lasted quite a while and some of the text stories, Winston's Diaries and Tobins Spirit Guide, were genuinely funny and quite surreal). Then Eagle until that died, then 2000AD. Been buying all the Transformers UK stuff in trade paperback lately, getting ready to stick my collection on ebay.

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 pm

The only collection that rivals my Retro Gamers is Sonic The Comic

I would love to hear from any StC fans, particular website owners.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:03 am

I had the luck of having my dad who was a comic collector, so I had an entire wall of the living room covered in comics. Started with Disney, but I soon switched to other comics, Asterix is one I liked and still like a lot, but most of all I was lucky to discover Johnny Hart's (and Brant Parker's) comic strips, B.C. and The Wizard of ID, they're my favourites to this day.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am

de-void wrote:The only collection that rivals my Retro Gamers is Sonic The Comic

I would love to hear from any StC fans, particular website owners.
This one's good, but it's not updated as much as it used to be:
http://fyeahsonicthecomic.tumblr.com/