What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

deadpan666

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:29 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Don't suppose you have a full list of Oink! stuff? I've got issues 0-50, and two of the annuals (one has a butcher's head on the front, the other has a plasticene pig on the front). Also got several, several Busters with Oink! stuff in them too.
I didn't count the Busters after Oink merged, as Pete & His Pimple and Tom Thug basically became Buster characters after that.....

But yeah, don't have a full list....the ones I've heard about are 68 Issues of Oink!, not including the preview issue, the computer issue that came with Crash, 2 summer specials, 2 Annuals and the Smokebusters special...

The Smokebusters special is particularly hard to find as it was only released in limited quantities...you can read more about it on Lew Stringer's blog...

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/03 ... sters.html
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 am

Interesting... So that makes me 18 issues, a flexidisc, the Smokebusters special and the Crash special short of the "full set".

Should go for it :D

If you're ever in Manchester, there's a place called Empire Exchange, which has hundreds of boxes and racks full of old comics and magazines. I've got tons of stuff from there - if the Smokebusters can be found anywhere, it's there.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Another day off, another day out in Manchester, another nice little haul of reading material :D

That "How to Draw" book is done by Fleetway's very own Terry and Sheila Bave!
Also found an old issue of Load Runner, which I gave to Mr. the_hawk as thanks for the "40 Years of Dennis The Menace" thing, top left there.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

GamingWeston

Post by GamingWeston » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 pm

The Amazing Spiderman, of course :D
My own handpicked collection of flash games: Free Online Flash Games

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:12 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Another day off, another day out in Manchester, another nice little haul of reading material :D
Ah, you managed to get that Summer Special. :D

I nabbed a copy of Eagle Annual: The Best of the 1950s Comic for £4.99 in my local Works Shop last week.

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Beano, Play magazine( ps1 era ) and my favourite, The Simpsons magazine.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Another day off, another day out in Manchester, another nice little haul of reading material :D

That "How to Draw" book is done by Fleetway's very own Terry and Sheila Bave!
Also found an old issue of Load Runner, which I gave to Mr. the_hawk as thanks for the "40 Years of Dennis The Menace" thing, top left there.
Any chance of uploading a pic of Load Runner used to buy that in Torquay but nobody remembers it.. Here's a few I found in the attic

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Also found an old issue of Load Runner, which I gave to Mr. the_hawk
And bloody brilliant it is too, cheers! :D
Shinobi wrote:Any chance of uploading a pic of Load Runner used to buy that in Torquay but nobody remembers it.]
Sure thing buddy, will do just that when I get home this evening. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Big time
Sonic the Comic
'Ar Wullie
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: That "How to Draw" book is done by Fleetway's very own Terry and Sheila Bave!
I still have my copy of this I got from the school book club! I got the "How to Draw Monsters" one as well....

Oh, and is that a collection of Fortean Times stuff, or just an old issue?
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 am

Just an old issue, from 1991. Hardly ever find these out and about, so it's always fun to get them.

Pleasing to see that they haven't changed the format all that much in 20 years!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:33 am

the_hawk wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Also found an old issue of Load Runner, which I gave to Mr. the_hawk
And bloody brilliant it is too, cheers! :D
Shinobi wrote:Any chance of uploading a pic of Load Runner used to buy that in Torquay but nobody remembers it.]
Sure thing buddy, will do just that when I get home this evening. :D
:oops: Oops forgot!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Brilad

Post by Brilad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 pm

A few more shouts here for Oink!

Looked around ebay a little bit a few weeks ago but I've already got a stack of stuff due for scanning to PDFs (prinicipally an almost complete set of Zit comics).

I occasionally get old stuff but don't consider I've fully 'got' them until scanned and backed up.

There have been a few mentions for Scream and like me, most people seem to remember the 13th Floor the best. This was one of the only comics where I'd be waiting for the publication day to come around and I was pretty narked when it went - a vicitim partly of over sensitive parents/media hype. Some of the artwork was gruesome but kids love it. Some images I can always recall are the episode of 13th Floor where some bloke has done a hit and run (i think) and ends up on an infinitely sized motorway being driven at by Skeletons in Yank-type vehicles. Great. True to form he ends up going quite, quite mad.

One strip from Oink! that I remember was by Banx (yes - they had some seriously good cartoonists contributing) and it was a three frame effort, where a spaceship sets off to explore - wasp buzzes in to ship - crash lands on desert planet with wasp dead in sand with sting upwards. Awesome.

As far as 2000AD goes - have a look for the Strontium Dog story 'The Killing' - some quality one liners in this. The line "Tres Despotique" manages to crack me up every time.

I am looking for a strip called 'Pimp Kid' if anyone can help - I think it appeared in Zit, but must be one of the few issues I don't have.
The main character was Leroy Pimple, a common or garden 12 year old English Schoolboy who behaved and talked as though he were a sterotypical 70s Chicago pimp - better than it sounds, honest!! From the same comic "Lambrusco", "667 The Neighbour of the Beast" and "Full Mental Jacket" were always worth a read.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Think I've seen Zit a few times - did it have a bit of the swearing removed at any point, and get launched again as Fizz? Just remember reading Fizz a lot ("The Comic for Teenagers!") and then finding Zit, and noticing that they shared many characters.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 am

^Gah, used to HATE Zit!!! It used to make Smut seem like comedy genius, plus classy, to boot! Remember the first issue, think it was orange, iirc, I still have it somewhere, had a strip called 'Sadman Insane' in it ('cos it was around the time of the original Gulf War) and it was a witless strip with a very thick, obvious title. Only thing good about Zit was that it had phone sex ads in the back with pictures of tits n' fannies, Viz never went there (at least you could crack one off to offset your dissatisfaction with the ineptitude of the comic).

Seriously, Zit was a terrible comic, a witless, derivative and predictable attempt to ape the 'shock factor' of Viz (but forgetting that what made Viz funny was the actual inspired wit and talent of its collective writers/artists). Please do not speak of it as a classic. :o

Sh!t, I was hating Zit when I was 14/15, I was a somewhat outspoken schoolyard connoisseur of Viz-aping 'adult comics' in the late 80s/very early 90s (and probably deserved a thorough egging, followed by the bumps, and badly, lucky I was a big bast) I was never a massive fan of Smut but Zit's content made 'Everard Edbutt' seem like Blackadder in comparison (and that's not good).

(Soz for the outburst, here, just a personal reflection....of how much I F*CKING HATE(D) ZIT!!!) :lol: