What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by LAIS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm

The Beano and Dandy, occasionally Buster, and I enjoyed a bit of Sonic The Comic when it came out. Don't know if anyone remembers Cosmic or Planet PC, but I used to enjoy them too.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 am

Yeah, Cosmic! The one with all the puzzles, yes? Captain Cosmic, Sergeant Star, Talista's Travels in Time... Around 20 issues in they started having less puzzles and more popstar interviews, as is always the case with fledgling kids magazines...

Went to WHSmith's yesterday to get that Beano Summer Special, and it wasn't there - but they DID have a big fancy 130-page Sonic The Hedgehog celebration thing, with stickers and badges, so got that instead.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Went to WHSmith's yesterday to get that Beano Summer Special, and it wasn't there - but they DID have a big fancy 130-page Sonic The Hedgehog celebration thing, with stickers and badges, so got that instead.
The Gamesmaster one? I grabbed that today.

ruffian

Post by ruffian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:31 pm

British comics are in a sorry state...Beano...or is it Dandy...now features Harry Hill?! WTF?

The artwork is also abominable...Dennis The Menace now looks like his crap tv show counterpart and too kidified...the vintage feel to these comics has been totally lost IMO.

I wish DC Thomson would do what Marvel and DC have been doing for many years and get some good reprints going...there was 'Classics From The Comics' but that folded last year, I believe.

Would be good if they did some good omnibuses of stuff like Monster Fun and Cor!! Or some nice reproduction annuals like the Rupert ones...
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Hearing about Cosmic makes me wonder - does Quiz Kids count as a comic, each issue had a story anyway. My favourite puzzles in it were the ones with the scratch panels.

ruffian

Post by ruffian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Hearing about Cosmic makes me wonder - does Quiz Kids count as a comic, each issue had a story anyway. My favourite puzzles in it were the ones with the scratch panels.
I hope that didn't lead to a scratchcard addiction!
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm

ruffian wrote:British comics are in a sorry state...Beano...or is it Dandy...now features Harry Hill?! WTF?

The artwork is also abominable...Dennis The Menace now looks like his crap tv show counterpart and too kidified...the vintage feel to these comics has been totally lost IMO.
Even when I was a kid, the artwork in The Beano/Dandy felt kind of 'old' and dated (in a charming way), everything felt like it was from the 40s,50s,60s, it had an atmos from a different, less complex era, it was like I had a really cool Grandad and he was was drawing all these fun comics on his own (and the artwork was fantastic).

But with nowadays, it's hard to link the charm of that artwork with where the world is today. Everything has been exposed nowadays, the quaint naiveté of our old retro kids comics is probably long-gone (plus I'm pretty sure most of those old 'n highly skilled Beano artists must be dead?) Kids' comics have changed in this 'cyber age', it'd be ridiculous to expect current-day children to respond to the same stuff we did as a kid, despite how much we would like them to.

I know Harry Hill is a contentious figure (humour-wise) but in some way embodies the spirit of 'old humour', he is knockabout, juvenile, childish, slapstick but entirely CLEAN and devoid of malevolence, at the root. I don't find it inappropriate at all that he's in either Beano or Dandy these days, plus reckon that a lot of the readership of those comics will watch TV Burp semi-regularly and find it very funny.

In some way the spirit of them old comics will live on, except the artwork won't be as good (to us oldies).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 am

JazzFunk wrote:(plus I'm pretty sure most of those old 'n highly skilled Beano artists must be dead?)
Well, Leo Baxendale, creator of the Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, Little Plum, The Three Bears and Willy the Kid, is still alive, as is Tom Paterson, creator of Calamity James and Sweeney Toddler.

My all-time favourite artist, Mr. Ken Reid (of Faceache, Roger the Dodger and Jonah fame) died in 1987, which is a bugger, but I think between them Lew Stringer, Leo Baxendale and Tom Paterson could create something special.

And I agree with the above thing about Harry Hill - he fits into the Dandy very well indeed!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:26 am

Faceache was absolutely brilliant! Some of the "Scrunge-es" scared the bejesus out of me, sad to hear Ken Reid died so long ago.

Nice that Tom Paterson is still around though, I thought the original Sweeny Toddler was amazing, did he do stuff like Cheeky & Paddywhack too? From memory they had very similar styles.

Thinking back, it's amazing how racist Paddywack was, of course it completely passed me by at the time. I think the premise was that he was just basically a "typical think Irish bastard" complete with stupid curly hair.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 am

Nah, he didn't do Paddywack - that was Jack Clayton. Cheeky was Frank McDiarmid...

For more Fleetway-based non-PC fun, how about Mustapha Million?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:21 am

Ah, more innocent times.

I always preferred the Fleetway stuff to anything else, I've got the urge to go back & read a load of those now I must actually have a wee scan though the next batch before giving them away. :lol:

OR type 99 to continue

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:41 am

Well you know they're going to a safe home :wink:
Anytime you want any of them back, just say the word - ALMOST finished working my way through all those Oinks, haven't even started on the latest batch!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 am

:lol: Naw you're all right fella, I've got zero room to store them all & if memory serves there are another 4 binbags to get through yet!

If they ever made their way to our house the Mrs would have them recycled faster than you can say Cor!!

Speaking of Cor!! Did you know there was a character in Corr!! called "Kid Chameleon" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Chamel ... c_strip%29 ) - he can be added to James Pond & Wonder Boy as comic characters that had the same name as computer game characters. :D

OR type 99 to continue

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 am

I'm just waiting on issue 44 of Oink! to plop through my letterbox, and that'll be me with a complete collection of all the actual issues! Just need one of the summer specials, the first annual and the Smokebusters special (not holding out much hope for that last one...very rare!) and I'll have every bit of Oink! published... :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:22 am

Don't suppose you have a full list of Oink! stuff? I've got issues 0-50, and two of the annuals (one has a butcher's head on the front, the other has a plasticene pig on the front). Also got several, several Busters with Oink! stuff in them too.