What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Moloch

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Moloch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 am

Wow, haven't really thought about comics in ages, but let's see what I remember ...

I really enjoyed these titles/characters: The New Mutants, Alpha Flight, The Defenders, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Dare Devil, Plastic Man, more

Reminds me, need to sell off my collection ... they're all wrapped up in the mil-spec bags and proper upright boxes.
ImageImageImage

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Not really meant for kids, but I was about 12 or 13, what about Zit? Lambrusco the alcoholic sheep, Sam 'n Ella, Middle-Aged Melvin, Private censored... great characters and slicker-looking than Viz.
Viz had Simon Thorp, who is an *incredible* illustrator, by far the most skilled artist on 'them types o' comics', look at his stuff, he's like the fart comic equivalent of Rembrandt!!!

Viz also had "Tommy And His Magic Arse" which is officially the best, short-lived one-page comic strip of ALL time. :wink:

It also had Tristram Banks (and his various pranks, all involving incredibly amusing sadism).

It ALSO had that guy who accidentally and inadvertently loses his trousers/underwear in gentlemens lavatories. And that Mrs Brady strip where she goes to the bingo and I almost shat myself with laughter when reading it on the bus...

Aaaah, Viz was ace... :D

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:09 am

I love Viz, and the strips themselves are well-drawn for the most part, but up until about 10 years ago cut and paste to them meant scissors and glue. :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 pm

deadpan666 wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ooh, a Sparky book! Nice.
Ever read any Wham! books? Now they're funny stuff.

That most beautiful of forum members, Mr. the_hawk, gave me a massive bag full of Buster comics last year (as well as the near-complete run of Oink), having a chuckle making my way through them.
Don't think I've ever read any Wham! books......I do have an almost complete collection of Oink! though...only need about 4 issues for the whole set! :)

@Shinobi......It's a bit like a toned-down Viz, but also so much more! And the alien was Burp...

You can read some of his strips here..http://www.jbanx.com/strips/burp/index.html....at the author's site. You can find some of his other stuff there too, including Mr. Bignose....
Thanks for the links Deadpan:) I have a sticker of that Alien thing you linked (Stuck on a box in the attic) "Love me love my Liver" brings back some memories.. You made me want to look on Ebay for 'Oinks' I imagine would be very pricey like everything thats decent
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:15 am

Just seen on the Comics UK forum that there's going to be a Beano Summer Annual & a Broons/Oor Wullie one as well. :D

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Thanks for the links Deadpan:) I have a sticker of that Alien thing you linked (Stuck on a box in the attic) "Love me love my Liver" brings back some memories.. You made me want to look on Ebay for 'Oinks' I imagine would be very pricey like everything thats decent
I picked up a load of them for 15 quid...that's what started me off collecting them all again! They now come on from anywhere between 99p and a tenner per issue...the ones at a tenner never seem to get many bids though! :D
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Went to my favourite shop in the world today (Empire Exchange, in Manchester) and got loads of Monster Fun holiday specials! Happy reading :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 am

Mostly Spider-Man, and particularly Venom (hence my profile pic). I'm into my anti-heroes and Venom was up there with the best of them. In hindsight, with an adult mind looking back, DC was far better at doing anti-heroes than Marvel; I hated the nauseating cleaniness and goodness of the likes the Fantastic 4 and other Marvel pin-ups, and I think DC comics were, in general, much better written. But Venom was awesome.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 am

che_don_john wrote:Mostly Spider-Man, and particularly Venom (hence my profile pic). I'm into my anti-heroes and Venom was up there with the best of them. In hindsight, with an adult mind looking back, DC was far better at doing anti-heroes than Marvel; I hated the nauseating cleaniness and goodness of the likes the Fantastic 4 and other Marvel pin-ups, and I think DC comics were, in general, much better written. But Venom was awesome.
agreed, do you remember its beginning in Secret Wars?

Shame they shoehorned venom in with the other baddies in Spiderman 3 movie.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
che_don_john wrote:Mostly Spider-Man, and particularly Venom (hence my profile pic). I'm into my anti-heroes and Venom was up there with the best of them. In hindsight, with an adult mind looking back, DC was far better at doing anti-heroes than Marvel; I hated the nauseating cleaniness and goodness of the likes the Fantastic 4 and other Marvel pin-ups, and I think DC comics were, in general, much better written. But Venom was awesome.
agreed, do you remember its beginning in Secret Wars?

Shame they shoehorned venom in with the other baddies in Spiderman 3 movie.
This going to sound like absolute sacrilege...but I actually prefered the idea of Venom's origins from the Ultimate series. There, I said it, it's out there!

But what I mean specifically is, I prefer the idea that the symbiote was genetically engineered rather than being extra-terrestrial. Of course, I prefer all the Venom story lines that came out of Secret Wars (I was but a baby when it came out but read it in my teens), but I just always had a bit of a problem whenever Marvel brough extra-terrestrials into the mix; it just didn't seem 'real' (as real as a webslinging teenager and his symbiotic nemeis can be).

As for Spiderman 3, don't get me started. In fact, I think it served as a good example of why the extra-terrestrial origin of Venom wasn't as good as the 'genetic engineering' version. The way it just landed via the meteorite, with no explanation, like the audience is supposed to accept it...grrr...There just wasn't room for two agonists in that film, let alone Venom as well. If you're not going to do him justice, don't bother including him at all.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

PINMAN

Post by PINMAN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 am

Anybody interested in the following, before i list them on Ebay ?.

26 Beano comics from 1993-97.
14 Dandy comics from 1996-97.
3 Buster comics from 1996-97.
4 Simpsons comics from 2008-09.

Asking £10 for the lot, plus postage.
Thought it would be better to ask within this thread, rather than the off topic section. Please PM me if interested.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Comics.... Lets see....

As a young kid (ie primary school age) I read the Beano and Dandy every week.

Once I got older I shifted on to 2000AD, Batman, and the various 'Aliens' comics.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 am

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Good news indeed, but could I really bring myself to buy a comic with as crap a name as "Phoenix"?

In happier news, just got a load of boxes of mine from my dad's attic, and it seems at some point over the last few years I acquired a HUGE stack of Norwegian comics. Interesting to look through, but haven't got a clue what's going on. A lot of them have Nemi in them (as in, that girl from the Metro).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Good news indeed.
So. This is: DFC presents - The Phoenix. It will be very much the same familiar style and presentation of comic as before: a weekly aimed at a similar audience of 8 - 12 (though as we saw last time, anyone and everyone should enjoy something inside!) It aims to launch First Quarter 2012.

DFC (David Fickling Comics) is its own company now, with its own new sparkly office. Once again we have The Lovely Ben Sharpe and The Wonderful Will Fickling at the helm. David himself is not directly involved this time. It is no longer a part of Random House and has its own funding. We had the rug ripped out from under us last time, and rest assured it will not happen again.

As a further note: The DFC Library is also a separate entity and, like The Phoenix, sits independantly. Perhaps we can consider them cousins or siblings...? ^_^

No holding page on the internets as of yet, the old DFC page redirects to David Fickling Books... but I'm sure we'll get one soon, and will link here when we do!

For now, GET EXCITED FOR THE PHOENIX! And spread the word!
http://www.sweatdrop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13547

Are you still buying The Dandy? I've decided to stop buying it now as I'm just not enjoying it that much. :(