What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

filecore

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by filecore » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:18 pm

I used to get the Dandy delivered with Dad's paper once a week. However later on I preferred picking up Whizzer and Chips specials from the Newsagent.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Used to pick up the Beano on a weekly basis and the Dandy on an occasional basis.

Always used to get annuals for Christmas which included Beano, Dandy, and related characters. When I was old enough to get pocket money I used to go around car boot sales picking up old annuals for Topper, Beezer and Whizzer and Chips. Still have a few of the old ones in a box somewhere.

I remember the little Commando comics, used to see them when I was on holiday at Skegness and would pester my mum for them, only ever got two if I remember correctly.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice to see that some of you bought comics and annuals like me. Funny, I used to have the Beano and Dandy Annuals for Christmas, but I can only ever remember buying more than a dozen or so of the Beano and and Dandy comics themselves.

Printing wasn't full colour back then either, most comics were either black and white or B&W with a mixture of red or orange colours.

Famous characters from the Beano were 'Dennis the Menace', 'The Bash Street Kids', Minnie the Minx and Lord Snooty.

I've just checked out the Beano Website, it looks good, but the cartoons seem a bit sanitised now, a bit too much PC for my liking, not the same now.

Apart from Desperate Dan (a man so hard, he shaves with a blowtorch), what characters were in The Dandy?

thl

Post by thl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Apart from Desperate Dan (a man so hard, he shaves with a blowtorch), what characters were in The Dandy?
Korky The Cat, Bully Beef & Chips, Winker Watson and The Jocks & The Geordies.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:15 pm

I used to get The Transformers comic (started about the Dinobots were introduced and Swoop got killed by Guardian) and stopped around the time the Headmasters arrived. Also got the spin-off Death's Head comic and the Sleaze Brothers, wish I had them still as I had both sets from issue one until they were cancelled, doubt they'd be worth anything but they'd be nice to have.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:57 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Commando is still going? Really, after all these years? Cool!!

Where can i get a copy?

As for the Beano, has it all gone politicaly correct? Does Dennis get wacked with a slipper anymore?
Commando's in WH Smiths, you should find it in the same section as the Beano.
As for the Beano, it's hasn't really gone all THAT politically correct. No slippers, but he does still roam the streets, throwing tomatoes and setting his Abyssian wire-haired tripe hound onto softies. There's one page a week called "Beano Manga" (drawn in a manga style), it's still the same guy drawing the Bash Street Kids as it has been for the last 25 years, Calamity James is still there (and still drawn by Tom Paterson), and Minnie the Minx's new artist seems to enjoy drawing his women with very large breasts (not Minnie, obviously, but her teacher and everyone else).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 pm

David Cameron reminds me of Lord Snooty.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:As for the Beano, has it all gone politicaly correct? Does Dennis get wacked with a slipper anymore?
I have a new mission in life. I must, MUST seek out Commando comics next time i'm in Smiths! :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

SoupDragon wrote:David Cameron reminds me of Lord Snooty.
Oh, it's Lord Snooty the Third now, and he's a secret agent! He's supposed to be the original Lord Snooty's grandson, and he has inherited Snooty's fortune. From this we can conclude that Snooty is dead. Here's what that heir looks like:

Ball Boy has also changed dramatically:
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:From this we can conclude that Snooty is dead.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo, not Lord Snooty.

And that new one just looks crap in my opinion.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 am

I never did go for the Beano or Dandy. As far as UK funnies go it was always the IPC stuff - Whizzer and Chips, Monster Fun etc. In the '70s my mainstays were all the UK Marvel titles and eventually 2000AD from '77. I remember the day I issue 1 of 2000AD well. I didn't have any money on me so my Mum bought it for me. If only she'd known the carnage of Harlem Heroes and the gore of Flesh that was going on inside!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:57 am

I got The History of The Beano a while back & it's superb.

I've also slowly started to buy all The Beano collections that have been printed over the years.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 am

Got that book for Christmas, 'tis superb!

This one is also a nice "history lesson" sort of thing:

By "collections" do you mean the annuals? Or those Classics From The Comics things? Far as I know, regular Beano strips aren't collected into any sort of coherent archives, just occassionally reprinted in things such as the above mentioned.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:32 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
By "collections" do you mean the annuals? Or those Classics From The Comics things? Far as I know, regular Beano strips aren't collected into any sort of coherent archives, just occassionally reprinted in things such as the above mentioned.
These ones. :) Although I would love it if the regular strips were collected. Why don't they do this?

I had one a few years ago & don't remember why I didn't carry on buying them although I got these two for Christmas.

Image Image

And I'm hoping that someone will buy me this one for Christmas. (I see that the Christmas annuals are out already, but it's a tradition that I get them on the 25 December)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:53 pm

oh man. I used to have loads....we used to swap them in the playground, once we'd read them.

I remember having The Topper and Beezer....when they were still 'broadsheets' :)

The Victor and 2000AD (my grandad used to buy me 2000AD...he only stopped when i got married :oops: :lol: )

I used to buy the Dandy and The Beano with my pocket money (6p for them both). I only used to buy the Beano when they went up to 5p each. Couldn't afford it....

A little later i used to get The Nutty and Roy of the Rovers....then i got into the more 'adult' ones like Viz and Zit.

I always like the Holiday Specials of Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Sparky, Cor!! etc... when we went to the seaside, but i really used to enjoy the reprints of the '50's American comics. They had some great adverts for cool gadgets. I spent hours poring over those.....Could only ever seem to find those sort of comics at the coast though, never had them in our local newsagents anyway :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)