What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroMartin

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Anybody remember the old Combat Colin short strips in The transformers comics?

I used to collect Sonic The Comic, Beano and Dandy personally!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

badda

Post by badda » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Simon Furman and Geoff Senior are gods.

Transformers UK in the '80s was the best comic, anywhere! 2000AD was a strong runner-up. The stories are still brilliant. Timeless.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Used to read loads of comics...still do...but the ones back in the day were...

Buster
Whizzer and Chips
Nutty
Dandy
Whoopee
Monster Fun
Beano
Eagle
2000AD
Transformers
The Beezer
The Topper
Scream
The Real Ghostbusters

...and my personal favourite....

Oink!

It's always being described as a kiddie version of Viz, but I don't feel that's the best way to describe it. It was quite gross with a twisted sense of humour, and it riled a few people...it even had it's own in-house critic in the form of Mary Lighthouse...and was even mentioned in parliament...Not for corrupting the youth of the nation, but because of a clever spoof of the Poll Tax, saying that owners of Parrots had to pay tax unless they were Conservatives.... :lol:

It was where Charlie Brooker and Marc "Lard" Riley cut their teeth too, as well as various artists who do stuff for Private Eye, etc....

Oh, and..
TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Ah, they had a few of those in the Oxfam on Bold Street recently - by the time I went back with money, they'd gone. Bugger?
..that's always one of the first places I visit when I pop down to Liverpool! I got loads of Whizzer and Chips and Whoopee issues in there! :D
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Morkin wrote:I've just read on Lew Stringer's blog that Classics from the Comics is finishing in October. :cry: :cry:
Well, it's October, and I got the new issue today, with no mention whatsoever of closure - rather, an exciting "Next Issue" advert, and an editorial in the letters bit about all of the "exciting things" that they have planned...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:32 am

TheBoingoBandit wrote:
Naitch wrote:From about 2 or 3 my mum used to by me Playtime, which featured BBC Characters such as Potman Pat, King Rollo and The Mr. Men! :D

Was that the one that used to feature Sooty & Sweep and The Moomins?
That was Playgroup, which I also have a few issues of from 1984 and 1895!

Funtime was the BBC comic I have, only I got the title confused! :?

Both of which featured games and puzzles!

I also have a few Jack And Jill comics, which also featured a few BBC characters such as the Little Miss!

Also got loads of Thomas The Tank Engine comics, a few Postman Pat comis, and a couple of issues of the Sooty Comic! :D
Press Play On Tape

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 am

beano, dandy, beezer, 2000AD

recently discovered marvel essential xmen TPBs - great stuff
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:33 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Morkin wrote:I've just read on Lew Stringer's blog that Classics from the Comics is finishing in October. :cry: :cry:
Well, it's October, and I got the new issue today, with no mention whatsoever of closure - rather, an exciting "Next Issue" advert, and an editorial in the letters bit about all of the "exciting things" that they have planned...
I think I read somewhere that it was too late to remove the next issue advert or that it had already gone to print, or something like that. I'm sure that the editor emailed Lew that it was ending. :(

EDIT

From Lew's blog.
Here's an advance look at the cover to issue 175 of Classics from the Comics, on sale next week. Sadly this is the final issue of D.C. Thomson's long running reprint monthly and no similar title is currently planned to substitute it.

I understand that this issue actually advertises issue 176 for next month, so presumably the cancellation was a last minute decision made after issue 175 had shipped to the printers.

News of the comic ending was announced here last month following an e-mail announcement from the editor Garry Fraser. My thanks to Garry for sending me the cover previews over the past few months and for producing a fine comic. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing him well for the future.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 am

I see that the new look Dandy is released next week. Anyone going to pick it up for old time's sake?

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 am

Morkin wrote:I see that the new look Dandy is released next week. Anyone going to pick it up for old time's sake?
I don't think I'll be buying it, but I may well have a flick through when I'm next in Smith's!

I did always love Dandy... :D
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Can't stand Harry Hill.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:59 am

Got a letter through the post from DC Thompson today, confirming that my subscription to Classics From The Comics has been refunded :(

On a happier note, I got that new Dandy the other day. It has a lot of the artists from the short-lived DFC, and has a few amusing bits in it. Only Desperate Dan, Bananaman and Korky the Cat have survived the transition, and none of them are recognizable by anything other than name. Pre-Skool Prime Minister is VERY funny, but the rest is a bit... strange.

"New" characters include Harry Hill, Simon Cowell, Noel Edmonds, Jeremy Clarkson, Cheryl Cole, Bruce Forsyth, those meercats from the adverts, that Go Compare singer man, The Bogies, Count Snotula... Yeah.

Obviously not as good as the original Dandy, but MILES better than The Dandy X-Treme.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Korky the cat lives on? Cool 8)

What was the name of that elf who was always nicking things in the Dandy? (Think it was Dandy)

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Usual suspects:

Beano
Dandy
Whizzer and Chips
Beezer
Oink
Whoopee

When I was ill (I was about 5 I think) my Mum's best friend brought around a selection of comics (mostly Dandy and Beano) from a collection she had in her loft. I remember they had prices like 2d on them, so they were seriously old. I devoured them, they were bloody brilliant and even better than the contemporary versions (1995). I'd give anything to thumb through those again.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

bsg

Post by bsg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 am

The Mask Seller wrote:I'd completely forgotten about Scream, it was properly scary as a kid, I'd love to read them again and see if I was just being a wuss. Without looking on the 'net I remember stories about a murderous, hunchback retard called 'Uncle Terry' who was locked away in someones attic, The 13th Floor (can only remember the title), a story about a pack of murderous domestic cats and another about a murderous Punch and Judy show. I'm going to look it up, see what horrific repressed memories I can exhume.
http://backfromthedepths.co.uk/ Enjoy dude :D

I used to read the following (my dad (RIP) used to buy me 2 every day, plus sweeties to go with them :D )

Commando
Warlord
Scream
2000ad
Eagle
Star Wars weekly
Beano
Dandy
Tiger
Hotspur
Whizzer and Chips
TV Comic
Topper
Dr Who weekly

God I was quite spoilt as a child :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:54 pm

bsg wrote:
The Mask Seller wrote:I'd completely forgotten about Scream, it was properly scary as a kid, I'd love to read them again and see if I was just being a wuss. Without looking on the 'net I remember stories about a murderous, hunchback retard called 'Uncle Terry' who was locked away in someones attic, The 13th Floor (can only remember the title), a story about a pack of murderous domestic cats and another about a murderous Punch and Judy show. I'm going to look it up, see what horrific repressed memories I can exhume.
http://backfromthedepths.co.uk/ Enjoy dude :D
Just reading the Hallowscream 2010 Scream fan-comic that the folks at Back From The Depths have done...My brother's just literally finished putting it together...He also did the "Terror of the Sheep" amongst other things... :lol:

You can download it from here...

http://www.clickwheel.net/features/308?episode_id=3293
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!