My old CPC 6128 with green monitor.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spartan_X

My old CPC 6128 with green monitor.

Post by Spartan_X » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:00 am

Hello to everyone, as this is my first post on this forum :D

My name is Gregory, i am from Athens, Greece, and i am 35 years old. Yesterday, after a quick search in the storage room of my house for various old stuff, i dug up the first computer i ever had, My old Amstrad CPC 6128. Along with some disks that i have kept.

My parents bought it in the summer of 1986. I used it mostly for games, and I learned some programming with it. Some games i fondly remember are "Ikari warriors", "Match day 2", "Wonder Boy", "Fruity Frank", and many more ...Eventually it was replaced by a Amiga 500 in 1990, ( a computer that i do not own anymore since i sold it in '95 :( ), and the Amstrad went to the storage room, along with some other old stuff ( i have a early 70s portable TV there, and a AKAI vcr from 1983 ). Anyway, i wanted to check if it still works, and indeed, it. ... mostly ... does. The monitor is working perfectly, the computer powers on, all the keys work fine, but Sadly the disk-drive isn't working. The red light on it is constantly on, and when you insert a disk it doesn't "see" it, and only makes a buzzing sound.

If anyone has any info about what might be the problem with the drive i would appreciate it greatly.

Here are some pictures of the computer, in the condition it is today. I think it holds up pretty well still, considering its age, and the fact that in the 20 years inside the storage room only very rarely i check if it is still working...

The CPC in all its glory

The controls on the monitor. The reason for the 3 cables - for those who don't know it - is that the monitor served as the power supply for the computer also.

The color table of the CPC. On a green monitor like my own of course, all of these are just shades of green ...

Box of a floppy disk.

The floppy disk itself.

The instructions on the inside of the box.

Side of the machine. Note the external tape connector, and the inverted joystick port ( so only joysticks made specifically for the CPC can be used with it... )

This is the problem. Disk inside, computer doesn't see it.

Old style power plug...

The plug has this piece of paper still attached to it

Info on the back of the monitor

Well, that's it. See you later i guess :)

paulisthebest3uk

Re: My old CPC 6128 with green monitor.

Post by paulisthebest3uk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Have you had a look inside, sometimes on the Spectrum +3 disc drives, the belt snaps or slips off, i would imagine inside the AMSTRAD cpc 128, it has a similar design disc drive.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Yup, it'll be the drive belt. See this thread (which happens to include a link for Amstrad instructions):
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=23556
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 pm

That's, funnily enough, what I was going to say. You must have read my mind.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:10 am

Spartan_X wrote:Side of the machine. Note the external tape connector, and the inverted joystick port ( so only joysticks made specifically for the CPC can be used with it... )
Sorry... wha?? On my CPC 6128 & 464 I can use just about anything that fits the standard 9-PIN connector, including a Master System controller.

station

Post by station » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Joystick looks like standard 9 pin D-plug?

I still have my 464 with green screen! Power supply thing was a stroke of space saving genius!
My keyboard is U-shaped from pummelling it with my fist everytime I lost a game.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm

station wrote:
My keyboard is U-shaped from pummelling it with my fist everytime I lost a game.
Open it up and straighten it out..... it's a 2 minute job!!, the metal plate that the keys are mounted on is a bit bent and can be straightened easily by hand :wink:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

station

Post by station » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:11 am

I think I actually did that about 10 years ago!