Who remembered Speak & Spell?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thl

Who remembered Speak & Spell?

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:44 pm

Speak and Spell was one of the most enjoyable object that I had ever seen. I was around four-five years old when I first saw it. Lot of childrens that time would get a Speak & Spell notably as a Christmas present.

It was quite strange when I look back at this. You realise that you're going totally interactive to it. After hitting the keypad, you don't know who you're talking to or have a clue who's behind the voice. So that remains a mystery?:lol:

I wonder if it's still around now? :?
Last edited by thl on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

paranoid marvin

Re: Who remembered Speak & Spell?

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:43 pm

thl wrote:This has to be one of the most enjoyable object that I had ever seen. I was around four-five years old when I first saw it. Lot of childrens that time would own a Speak & Spell notably as a Chritmas present.

It was quite funny when I look back at this. You realise that you're going totally interactive to it. By hitting the keypad, you don't know who you're talking to. You've no clue who's the voice of that electronic toy. So that remains a mystery?:lol:

I wonder if it's still around now? :?
Wasn't it Stephen Hawking?*

Only joking!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:44 pm

I had a Speak & Maths instead. Very annoying as the american guy in the box sounded like he had a speech impediment, so for instance 'one' sounded like 'why'.

Still great pieces of learning kit for the time though.

LoungeVamp

Post by LoungeVamp » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:43 am

Hijacking the thread slightly, but it's still related...

Way back in primary school, I remember having an A4 folder which has pockets that held little cards with words on them. Along with this folder you used to get a long strip of folded grey (or possibly green) plastic in which you had to slot the word cards in to make sentences.

I think it was based on a graded system so that once you proved you understood a particular level you got new and funkier words to play with.

dattson510

Post by dattson510 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Sonic Boom (ex Spacemen3) does a whole album based on a modified speak and spell. He heads E.AR. All the records are great if you like soundscapes and strange electronic noise.
http://www.sonic-boom.info/ear.php

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:36 pm

dattson510 wrote:Sonic Boom (ex Spacemen3) does a whole album based on a modified speak and spell. He heads E.AR. All the records are great if you like soundscapes and strange electronic noise.
http://www.sonic-boom.info/ear.php
It'll be a surprise if it's heard at every clubbing night/house parties.:o

DJs/composers would be very ambitious when it comes to sampling the voices and sound of that electronic toy.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:16 am

I used to have a speak and spell my relatives thought it was so good I ended up with several of the add in vocabulary modules hence my lexicon is now occupied with a veritable cornucopia of language.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm

There was a programme like that on one of my form tutors old acorns. I cannot forget the day that I heard it say in its Stephen Hawking like voice
'Go f*ck your Nan@ continued by a long line of other 'obsenities resulting in a load roar from the form tutor and 2 mates of mine getting chucked out amid fits of laughter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slackdog

Re:

Post by Slackdog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:53 pm

Sega2006 wrote:There was a programme like that on one of my form tutors old acorns. I cannot forget the day that I heard it say in its Stephen Hawking like voice
'Go f*ck your Nan@ continued by a long line of other 'obsenities resulting in a load roar from the form tutor and 2 mates of mine getting chucked out amid fits of laughter :lol: :lol: :lol:
We used a similar situation to get the beeb speech synth to suggest that anyone listening might like to discover satan, lol!

Best bit we could do it from another room :P
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 pm

SASS is a Speak & Spell Emulator (or simulator, depending on how you look at it)... Google it for a laugh...
真・豪鬼

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:00 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:SASS is a Speak & Spell Emulator (or simulator, depending on how you look at it)... Google it for a laugh...
I wonder if it'll work and how would the voice sound like after nearly 30 years?

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:07 pm

LoungeVamp wrote:Hijacking the thread slightly, but it's still related...

Way back in primary school, I remember having an A4 folder which has pockets that held little cards with words on them. Along with this folder you used to get a long strip of folded grey (or possibly green) plastic in which you had to slot the word cards in to make sentences.

I think it was based on a graded system so that once you proved you understood a particular level you got new and funkier words to play with.
I remember those! Was it called "Word Builder" or something similar?
真・豪鬼

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:57 am

Old Speak n Spell commercial with Texas Instrument spoksperson Bill Cosby.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

I had one, mainly because I was really in to E.T. - big time as a little kid, but it did help with my spelling at school, this was a much loved toy. I also got a major morgan, which wasn't that good. Was the white model of the speak and spell the maths version? Also they keyboard was more a touchpad than the american one, which was raised keys.

Anyone remember lights alive? my cousin had one and am after something similar for my nephew who is about to turn 5 next month, he is a little retro gamer as well, he pinched my Pacman TV plug n' play game, last month and loves the Atari one at our house, I've told him we'll have the C 64 next time he comes round, he's game boy mad, loves Sonic and likes Mario! :wink:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 am

I remember a really crappy dance tune that sounded like a speak and spell had been used. It was realesed at least 3 years ago as my granpa was still alive
Watching you sleep since 1990