The godfather trilogy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Fred83

The godfather trilogy

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 pm

The godfather,often released and remastered and lampooned is an magnificent movie about organised crime,apparently its a favourite with real time gangsters,the first two movies where great,the second being the only movie in history that a sequel was superior than the first movie,whilst the third was the weakest,it may had stood up as a movie if it was released by itself,but it was the weakest in the trilogy along with ignoring the obvious ending that the godfather three should had,this movie seems to be coppola's bread and butter giving the amount of versions released,the 1901-1980 trilogy version apparently has more footage included but has not yet being released on dvd,making it scarce find,the movies have alot of memorable scenes,there where games released too,so whats your favourite godfather movie?,oh and check out the link below if you want to read about all the different versions-

http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.com/godfather.html

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: The godfather trilogy

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Yes love these films! Definitely amongst my favourite films of all time!! I think the second is the best film naturally, and I love the first one as well! I can't bring myself to watch the third because I don't want to be disappointed by it, but I think I will watch it one of these days!!

As for memorable scenes so many - I mainly remember them from the first one though - definitely one of my favourites is the wedding scene where Michael tells Kay about his family! Got to love the horse's head in the bed as well!!! One of the most exciting scenes is where Michael sits down to dinner with the rival gangsters after his father has been shot and we hear in the background the train getting closer and then suddenly Michael guns them down(one guy getting it in the throat)! I also remember the with Sonny getting gunned down at the crossing(in a homage to another great movie Bonnie and Clyde!)

Great music in it, as well as great cinematography, and of course the great acting!

My main memorable scene from the second one is the flashback with young Vito(Robert De Niro) and him coming from Italy and arriving in New York and when he wastes a guy who has been following him.

I should also mention the ending of the second film as well with what Michael did!!!!

The first two films where apparently re edited into a mini series which some people have raved about(it has some deleted scenes in it).

If I ever get around to getting a Blu Ray I will pick up the Godfather on it!

I remember in an early episode of The Sopranos they are watching it in the background!!!!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 pm

i think the third one would had being good if they had to give it the obvious downfall type ending.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 am

Fred83, it seems only you and me want to talk and rave about The Godfather!!! :(

Come on - surely someone else must like these films as well?

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 am

2nd one is easily the best, though the third one is nowhere near as bad as people make out.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:21 am

Joe mantegna was good in the third one.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 am

I picked up this boxset for a tenner in Music Zone before it closed down last year. Id never watched one until then. Brilliant movies.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:59 pm

I got the 3 dvd box set for xmas 2 years ago and only got round to watching them about a month ago.

i had seen parts of each film, but never the whole films.

1 & 2 are superb films, and then i watched the 3rd one and knew that it had been slated, but I personally thought it was a very very good film.....

They are a superb series of films, my personal favourite parts are the `lookback` scenes of Robert de Niro.....

The music is pretty special too...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm

I loved the spoof they did on godfather in robin hood men in tights :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAK1SyQokcY

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 am

Fred83 wrote:I loved the spoof they did on godfather in robin hood men in tights :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAK1SyQokcY
Hilarious :lol:

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 am

For me The Godfather Trilogy is among the best I will ever see!

I’ve got the 30th Anniversary DVD box-set edition released in 2002

It is certainly my favourite collection of Films (Seconded by The Lord Of The Rings!)

I think The Godfather is a magnificent story! Different in ways to the novel, but of course brought to life most brilliantly.

Every member of the cast is sensational!

I'm an Al Pacino obsessive as it is and he lights up every scene he is in.

Him being cast as Michael was a stroke of genius!

Michalel Corleone will be his defining role I guess, but I also love Carlito Brigante, Frank Serpico and Tony Montana.

Robert Duvall, James Caan, Talia Shire, John Cazale and of course Marlon Brando are all magnificent as well!

It’s amazing to think that Paramount didn’t want Al Pacino or Marlon Brando to be in The Godfather!! :shock:

Can you imagine Robert Redford in the role of Michael?

Parts I & II are simply amazing, with Part II being just breathtaking! The dual story of the young Vito intercut with the current Michael and Tom Hagen are brilliantly done.

Part III tends to get a lot of criticism.

Personally I’m a big fan of part III!

As a stand alone film it isn't so strong, but as part of the trilogy I think it rounds off The Godfather story brilliantly!

Granted they were missing Robert Duvall, and Sophia Coppola's acting isn't the best, but I think it's a really enjoyable well made film and as I said it closes The Godfather story very well!

I guess you can say I'm a Godfether Ubrer-Fan! :D
Press Play On Tape

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:22 pm

I am ashamed to say I have never seen any of the Godfather films. I just find the idea of investing 3 hours into sitting down and watching them puts me off, even though I know I will love them.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Fred83 wrote:The godfather,often released and remastered and lampooned is an magnificent movie about organised crime,apparently its a favourite with real time gangsters,the first two movies where great,the second being the only movie in history that a sequel was superior than the first movie,whilst the third was the weakest,it may had stood up as a movie if it was released by itself,but it was the weakest in the trilogy along with ignoring the obvious ending that the godfather three should had,this movie seems to be coppola's bread and butter giving the amount of versions released,the 1901-1980 trilogy version apparently has more footage included but has not yet being released on dvd,making it scarce find,the movies have alot of memorable scenes,there where games released too,so whats your favourite godfather movie?,oh and check out the link below if you want to read about all the different versions-

http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.com/godfather.html

Unless you count Empire Strikes Back , Terminator 2 or Superman II (to name but 3)

But yeah , it's a great set of ilms , although I do actually prefer the first ; the way that the film seems to constantly flick between different eras hurts my brain a little - plus i prefer the action of the first one. That scene in the restaurant is one of the most memorable , with Al Pacino having to make a decision which will change the rest of his life; really well acted , as you can see the thoughts flying through his mind
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 pm

I've got the trilogy on dvd (as the seperates), and, ashamedly, have never sat down and watched them :oops: I've seen clips of the first one, though, and liked what I saw. I will watch them one of these days.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 am

Trilogy? I thought there were only two films? :?

Seriously, the third isn't terrible, but I think they left it too long and it just doesn't blend quite so seamlessly as the first two do. Plus, coming out just after Goodfellas it was on a hiding to nothing.