This is your life

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

This is your life

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:23 am

Who remembers this with michael aspel.Emerging with the red book and catching celebs by surprise.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Re: This is your life

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:05 pm

The bigger question is who remembers it with Eamonn Andrews?
Splink!

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Yep- I remember both of them.

For one of the most patronising segments of TV ever check out the original American version when Laurel & Hardy appeared - it is one of the most cringeworthy things I have ever seen - constant references to Oliver Hardy's weight etc.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:02 pm

I remember them both as well and how much I disliked the programme but had to watch it as my grandparents liked it. :(

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Death may be your Santa Claus.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:21 pm

I do remember this programme. It was originally on ITV then moved to BBC 1. I remember when Danny Baker had his chat show on BBC 1 in the early 90s and he had Michael Aspel on it, afterwards Danny got taken off to have his own This is Your Life show. I do remember the Tom Baker one, and I think I watched the Jeremy Clarkson one as well(ironically he said at the time he was too young to receive it!).

I think I remember seeing a book of This is Your Life compiled by Michael Aspel in a second hand book shop a while back as well.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:50 am

Used to watch it, it really did depend on the person surprised on whether it was worth watching... some episodes were a lot more interesting than others, and towards the end they got a bit desperate and started surprising younger celebrities (Frank Skinner was barely 40, if I remember correctly)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 am

Always thought this was a 'parents' program. Used to watch a few (as my folks often had it on) but i dont know, hearing about some millionaire actor/sportsperson in the papers in one thing, to go through their life and praise them constantly and say how great they are, i dont know, just wasnt a fan of it.

Back in the day it really was an epic program as it was huge to have Eammon Andrews come out with the red book and surprise some celeb. Not surprised it was eventually dropped by ITV though

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

Yep I remember it with Eamon Andrews. Wasn't much of a viewer tho.

RPKGV

Post by RPKGV » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:03 pm

DAH DAH, DA, DUHHHHHHH! (Opening music)

Yeah, I remember it. :lol:
My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more, http://www.youtube.com/user/RPKGameVids

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 pm

the theme tune some how reminded me of some rusty old gate you might hear opening :? :?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 am

....and it's ending one minute at a time
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Red_Hot_Sax_Man

Post by Red_Hot_Sax_Man » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:45 pm

I remember Michael Aspel ... used to watch it on a Wednesday evening on ITV (before it was known as ITV1) if I remember correctly. The most memorable for me was the Big Daddy (British Wrestler) and all of the British Wrestlers making their way into the studio to celebrate the life of one of, if not the, most popular and well known British Wrestlers of all time.

They should bring it back onto TV - there has been enough of a gap from its last airing that there are a whole host load of new celebs that could be presented the big red book. I think it would suit well into the new era of reality TV and celebrityism.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Red_Hot_Sax_Man wrote:I remember Michael Aspel ... used to watch it on a Wednesday evening on ITV (before it was known as ITV1) if I remember correctly. The most memorable for me was the Big Daddy (British Wrestler) and all of the British Wrestlers making their way into the studio to celebrate the life of one of, if not the, most popular and well known British Wrestlers of all time.

They should bring it back onto TV - there has been enough of a gap from its last airing that there are a whole host load of new celebs that could be presented the big red book. I think it would suit well into the new era of reality TV and celebrityism.

Oh God, no. It would be all Big Brother contestants and actors who had five minutes' screen time on Hollyoaks.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:52 am

merman wrote:
Red_Hot_Sax_Man wrote:I remember Michael Aspel ... used to watch it on a Wednesday evening on ITV (before it was known as ITV1) if I remember correctly. The most memorable for me was the Big Daddy (British Wrestler) and all of the British Wrestlers making their way into the studio to celebrate the life of one of, if not the, most popular and well known British Wrestlers of all time.

Oh God, no. It would be all Big Brother contestants and actors who had five minutes' screen time on Hollyoaks.
And cretins like Jodie Marsh.