Sony Minidisc

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ootini

Re: Sony Minidisc

Post by ootini » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 am

I went through two of these. My Dad brought me back a SHARP one from Malaysia one year and I used it incessantly for the best part of 3 years until the think literally fell apart.

Got a sony one after that. It had a feature that allowed you to compress more music onto a minidic. So an 80 minute could fit 160 instead. Dead handy. Also used it a huge amount for recording ambient sounds etc for projects in college.

Its a pity sony didnt adopt it as the format for their older consoles. Would have made sense and injected more life into the format.

xist

Post by xist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 am

I had two of the things, with about 30 or 40 MD's which i'd recorded tons of stuff from the radio and classic mixtape type stuff onto so i could take the things about and connect them up to stereo's. Far better than a Discman too with their almost ever present stutter when you moved.

Unfortunately all the recording must have knackered something as both are now dead and departed from this world.... :(

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 am

I've still got my first (and only) MD Walkman

A fantastic bit of kit that served me well until I moved over to the iPod. My last car had MD in it too. Got a new car a week or so ago and CD in the car is just a pain.

Also, a friend who used to use them for his disco setup gave me a Sony separate MD deck a year or so back that now sits in amongst the hi-fi. Works fantastically but rarely gets any use nowadays. To be honest it's got so many little buttons I only know the basics of what it can do!

Yeah, I loved MD and like the cassette I'll always have some around to (like Mr.Benn's souvenirs) help me remember.

Mr Creosote

Post by Mr Creosote » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Got a Sharp MD MT161 MD player/recorder about 10 years ago. Cost me about £120.00 then and the thing still works. Absolutely pummeled, dropped,, bounced and scratched, left at bottom of bags and luggage, but as it's a fairly hefty piece of kit, it still plays discs, and I consider it utterly indestructible. Its also lasted far far longer than the 3 players by Sony I've bought since, although they used compression to squeeze more onto a disc, effectively doubling the playback time.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 am

I still use my portable MiniDisc player (Net MD). Sonicstage is great for making compilation albums - I love the fact you can combine tracks and move them around. I mainly listen to film scores so it's great for making 10 minute suites! :D

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:36 am

converted a load of speccy games earlier this year and threw them on a mini disc .......it plays them really loud (the speccy needs this) and allows you to easily skim throught the tracks to go straight to Bomb Jack or Bruce Lee....

A great piece of kit and music sounds superb too !!!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I think anyone that has any official mini disc album releases from their favorite bands should hold on to them.I think they be worth a few quid now for serious collectors who snap them up.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 am

i bought a second hand one quite recently, as i wanted to try the format out. paid peanuts.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:17 pm

I recorded and used MiniDiscs a lot when I was at college, but both the (admittedly quite cheap) portable players I bought knackered out fairly quickly. Great format though. Probably would have been hugely more successful and widely-used if MP3 hadn't very shortly afterwards become so massive and blown it out of the water.
It was pretty annoying however to discover that I could only transfer tracks from the computer to a Net-MD recorder, but NOT vice-versa (unless the recording came from the same computer in the first place). I'd been trying to obtain a decent recording of my brother's old band from cassette to the computer/CD-R for years and really thought I'd cracked it!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm a minidisc fanatic and still use 'em because as someone said earlier, it's like the best of both worlds: the quality of CD and the flexibility of cassette. I need them because I hate digital recordings, and MD is the best way to transfer old records and tapes into a durable format. The editing features are sensational - I love making edits of overlong songs, cutting them down to three minutes instead of six, and you can't even tell, because the cut is so perfect! To top it off, you have the supertastic MONO option, which I believe to be better aesthetically.

I also have a super-rare minidisc backup system that allows you to copy MD tracks onto another disc without any generation loss, so no worries if you drop and break one. Not that MD's are fragile - apparently in an accelerated ageing laboratory experiment, they were found to last 100 years! Will your ipod last that long? I doubt it.

MD FOREVER!! :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Spector wrote:the quality of CD ... I need them because I hate digital recordings
:?

Minidisc uses compression much like MP3, so it's NOT CD quality and it IS a digital recording (as is CD for that matter).

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 am

BobGeorge wrote:
Spector wrote:the quality of CD ... I need them because I hate digital recordings
:?

Minidisc uses compression much like MP3, so it's NOT CD quality and it IS a digital recording (as is CD for that matter).
Yeah I know that but only a dog would hear the difference, ATRAC's better quality than mp3, and I was using verbal shorthand - it's the digital mastering of music that kills it, such as noise reduction etc. It's amazing how good a vinyl transfer is to MD.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

station

Post by station » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:07 am

I got one of these in my car in 2002, complete with Sony 10 CD changer:

I was going to buy a minidisc recorder some time after, but I never did. I don't think it ever played a minidisc - will keep hold of it though as a future 'curiosity'. It even had the Sony 'Commander' unit that you put on the steering column.

I took it out when I got sick of all the chavvy LED flashing, and put the original tape player back in.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm

My first Sony Minidisc deck cost me £279 from the Sony Centre and came with 10 blank Sony discs :D , i've still got 2 Identical Sony decks, a portable Sharp MD recorder (that runs on 1 AA battery!!!) and a Sony Minidisc car stereo I used to have in my Fiesta Si(that's in a box in the shed these days). The thing that drew me to the minidisc was the fact that you could digitally edit music, I made up quite a few instrumental tracks by looping bits of songs and putting the loops into the program mode and recording the results to my second deck. I absolutely loved the Minidisc and still think it was way ahead of it's time with what it could be used for besides simply playing songs!!. I think I only bought about 4 pre-recorded albums though as it didn't interest me buying pre-recorded stuff.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Burkey

Post by Burkey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

I still have my Sony seperate mini-disc player/recorder. Used to use it all the time for recording DJ mixes, either off the radio or straight from the mixing deck back when I was into that sort of thing. They were great, and you could switch the recording to mono to double the length - handy!