Sony Minidisc

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

Sony Minidisc

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Just wondering how many people fell for these when they came out. I opted for one in 2001 before the MP3 player made it mega-big. Recall most retailers having a very limited stock of Minidisc albums that eventually got ditched by the record companies, then it mainly used it to play ripped CD's on the go....but then it died and I replaced it with an MP3 player.

Had a quick look on the internet and the medium still seems to be alive...to a fashion!

Fred83

Re: Sony Minidisc

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Always wanted one but could never afford one in its day.Let alone there wasn't much mini disc releases was there?.Otherwise i'm surprised it didn't catch on more. i mean you had a scratch proof cd didn't you!.
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:38 pm

i used to have a md player, quite enjoyed making my own discs then playing them in the gym on my portable player. MP3's and ipods have taken a bit of the fun out of it.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Sony tried to promote it through the film subsidiary of colombia pictures on films like the last action hero.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I bought one with some birthday money one year. I loved the noisy little bugger. I used to make my own MDs full of my favourite stuff (mostly old-school hip-hop at that time, iirc). I even used it to record my own ditties to play back to the band (sort of like a medium-fi demo). One of the great things about my player was that it had two headphone outputs, so me and my mate could listen on the train to and from uni.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I still use mini discs, not to record any more but I have about 110 ish Recorded MD albums from back in the day.I play them on my hifi, this..

I still have my portable panasonic player, think it was £200 :oops: loved it at the time though.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:26 pm

I never got one. My brother and uncle both brought one! It was actually quite a successful format. There were albums released on to. They were mainly used to record tracks on to off of CDs! They were mainly used in personal players - before the iPod came to the fore! The sound quality was pretty good, not quite up to CD standard, but still pretty good! The MiniDisc was certainly more successful than Philips Digital Compact Cassette! It also helped kill off the old audio tape as well(along with CDs). I think there was even a model of MiniDisc recorder which had a USB connection - so that you could control it from your PC!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I had one. It was about 2000 - 2001 I think. I'm pretty sure I used it upto about 2004. It was a Sony model, pretty light on features, but the sound quality was good, better than cassette, and the player was easy to carry.

I had a small Hi-Fi at the time that also has a built in minidisc recorder/player, so I used to use that to record my CD's to it. I don't recall ever buying an album on minidisc, although I remember them being available to buy in HMV for a time though.

I found my old Sony portable minidisc player a few months ago, and it still works!

eastcoasteric

Post by eastcoasteric » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:24 pm

I was in a band that recorded a short EP on one of these CD's.

In fact I was just talking to my wife and trying to find some still to this day

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:21 pm

I still have 3 of them and used to have 4. I love them, not so much now though as I can use the PC for what I used to MD for.
The MD was great for recording from any source. I used to record my own music with them and make a whole bunch of ringtones back in the day.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:27 pm

I never left the house without mine and always had a handful of discs with me for a good variety of music. I never bought a single pre-recorded disc but I'd spend hours naming the tracks one by one on every disc I'd make. The 2nd player I bought had some kind of extended recording mode that give 4 times as much music. Anyway, I was a huge fan of them as walkmans were unreliable and the sound quality was shIte, portable cd players weren't as option they were to big and I was really anal about the care I'd take of my cd's, and I just didn't like the idea of mp3 and I didn't have a pc at the time. I miss them now though, they had so much more personality than an ipod.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Bought a minidisc car stereo in the late 90s - A Sony with stalk remote. It was very cool at the time but I didn't even have a recorder to make any discs! A mate had one, so he did me a few discs until I bought a recorder for my hi-fi for my birthday.
I liked them better than CDs. They didn't skip when you hit a pot-hole, scratch proof, re-recordable, easy to find a disc in the glove box etc. The walkmans were also much smaller than CD or tape jobbies.
Stopped using mine a few years ago when I bought a car that couldn't have the stereo removed as it was part of the security system. Bought a ipod instead and connected it to the aux.
I hadn't long bought a new one when I had my car upgraded. Gave it to a guy at work who still uses it now.

Pre-recorded discs were rarer than rocking horse sh*t here (and expensive). Bought a couple in France where they seemed quite popular and were pretty cheap too. Thing is though, it was better to just buy the CD and make discs with the songs you like.

Minidisc was a very good system. It's just that MP3 killed it once flash memory became cheap enough. Probably would have lasted longer too if Sony had switched to MP3 instead of persisting with ATRAC for far too long.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I had a Panasonic one, in 2001 I think it was. It combined the high quality sound of CDs with the fun of recording to tapes, plus recording from any source whatsoever - I recorded the South Park movie onto it (just as funny to listen to), and a few episodes of Jools Holland too. Fun times, just a shame that MP3 players knackered them. Just drag and drop now, convenient but ho-hum.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:42 pm

I picked up a Sony Walkman mini-disc player from a charity shop for £4. Mint and complete too. Shame I only have one album for it... Manic Street Preachers.
Going Solo...................

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 am

What a post! Yes - I had a portable Sony MD player. At the time, it was so effing small! Compared to Discman's and tape walkmans anyway. And it was stainless steel, it looked the bees knees it really did. Sadly it broke last year or so and i binned it. I've got about 50 discs still (all re-recordable ones, I never actually bought a "proper" album).

I've also had two or three stereos with MD players. The mighty Sony stereo I have now also has an MD player. The last of a breed...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."