Video nasties!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

themightymartin

Re: Video nasties!

Post by themightymartin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

If anybody really wants to see Cannibal Holocaust and find out for themselves what all the fuss is about, it is available to view (legally, I believe) at http://youtu.be/ErnHx2kqYHU

WARNING!

This film is disturbing beyond belief! Aside from the graphic and realistic special effects (involving such delights as mass murder, beheading, castration and cannibalism) there are a number of scenes featuring genuine animal killings. Probably the most disturbing of which is when the characters capture, kill and cook a large turtle. There is also a scene where the natives kill a squirrel monkey by slicing the top of its head off and eating its brains.

There is also a short segment in the film called The Last Road to Hell. Although the characters claim this segment to be fake it actually features footage from real executions.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

parappa

Post by parappa » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I know they proved the killings werent real, but i wonder if they really raped a tribe girl for the movie.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:21 pm

No they didn't.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I caught a film on the horror channel recently called "Welcome To The Jungle" that was billed as a remake of Cannibal Holocaust. Its different enough to the original and its pretty well put together, best of all it features none of the animal cruelty of the original. The original is by far the better film but its extreme nature and general horribleness will put off most people.

On a different note i'm loving just how much hate The Human Centipede 2 is attracting online, a lot of people REALLY seem to hate this films very existence! I can't wait to see it myself.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 am

parappa wrote:I remember my jaw dropping the first time I watched Brain Dead with the zombie granny falling apart and stomping on the monkey. I actually ordered an uncut copy of Spit on Your Grave from China - wish I hadn't bothered now I've seen it.
Braindead was never a 'Video Nasty'. It was one of the earlier films by Peter Jackson and as far as i'm aware the UK release was the most complete version anywhere and featured no cuts as opposed to others worldwide.

If you liked Braindead then i'd highly recommend Bad Taste which was Jackson's first film. The acting is woeful but the special effects are superb, especially with the budget (or lack of) that they had to work with.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am

goldenone wrote:If you liked Braindead then i'd highly recommend Bad Taste which was Jackson's first film. The acting is woeful but the special effects are superb, especially with the budget (or lack of) that they had to work with.
I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 am

Was that the one where they all had long protruding buttocks and drank from bowls of green slime? I'm sure I saw that all the way through back in the day.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

parappa wrote:Was that the one where they all had long protruding buttocks and drank from bowls of green slime? I'm sure I saw that all the way through back in the day.
Thats the one. Also has a memorable scene involving a Sheep and a rocket launcher.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 pm

If you really want to see Peter Jackson at his pre-LOTR sicko best watch Meet the Feebles.

http://youtu.be/6yrI01TOlOE Link NSFW!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 pm

They showed Bad Taste on tv years ago followed by a doc on the making of that was quite good, I've not seen that on any of the dvd releases though.
Splink!

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:18 pm

felgekarp wrote:They showed Bad Taste on tv years ago followed by a doc on the making of that was quite good, I've not seen that on any of the dvd releases though.
I caught that too, i especially loved how the guns were made in true blue peter style using toilet roll tubes and sticky back placstic. The documenty is called "Good Taste" if my memory serves me correctly. There was an limited edition Anchor Bay DVD that features the documentary, don't think it was ever released in the UK though and wouldn't fancy your chances of getting it at a reasonable price anymore. I'm pretty sure it'll be available on the some torrent site or other though.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 am

felgekarp wrote:They showed Bad Taste on tv years ago followed by a doc on the making of that was quite good, I've not seen that on any of the dvd releases though.
I have the limited edition region 1 dvd of Bad Taste that has both the film and documentary.

It is a fantastic set with great content and superb packaging. Well worth keeping an eye out for :D

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 am

Anyone seen the women-in-prison movie Chained Heat? that was hillarious with a crazy man sneaking into the jail in womans clothing and a seedy warden with a hot tub and luxury office.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:50 am

parappa wrote:Anyone seen the women-in-prison movie Chained Heat? that was hillarious with a crazy man sneaking into the jail in womans clothing and a seedy warden with a hot tub and luxury office.
Theres a whole sub genere of Womens prison movies :D

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Just noticed the horror channel are playing a documentary about video nasties. Probably be worth a watch for anybody into them.