Video nasties!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

JazzFunk

Re: Video nasties!

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 pm

^I haven't seen both movies in about 18 years, but that scene you mention sounds like it may have been from Dead & Buried (which WAS a video nasty, primarily for that scene, it's a pretty well-made horror film and was later re-released with mere seconds snipped out - though the uncut version was also accidentally re-released on sell-thru). The rest of the film is pretty tame, it's just that one bit that is overtly gruesome.

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:47 pm

JazzFunk wrote:^I haven't seen both movies in about 18 years, but that scene you mention sounds like it may have been from Dead & Buried (which WAS a video nasty, primarily for that scene, it's a pretty well-made horror film and was later re-released with mere seconds snipped out - though the uncut version was also accidentally re-released on sell-thru). The rest of the film is pretty tame, it's just that one bit that is overtly gruesome.
Aye that looks like it, has also got the guy being tied up in a net and burned - cheers

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:43 pm

For those who have the horror channel.I spit on your grave is on at 12.50 pm tonight.With rerun on 30th aug at 22.55.More info below-

http://www.horrorchannel.co.uk/shows.php?program=175667
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 am

Has anybody seen the remake of I Spit On Your Grave yet? To be fair i don't even like the original and probably won't ever watch it again, its really just not fun! I do however appreciate its place as one of the most shocking movies of all time and many people regard it as a classic and i think it should have been left well alone. If somebody wants to retell the story or make a film inspired by this then thats great,that happens all the time, but for fucks sake at least change the title!
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:03 pm

One shown on horror channel is the uk cut version.For those with the curious mind and strong stomach,head over to movie-censorship.com to see differences in movie.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:34 am

^The original, uncut ISOYG is no great shakes, it's more the theme of the film that garnered it such a reputation. One bit, she slashes off a bloke's widgey, all you see is some primary school powder paint splashed about.

Similar films on the list, like Last House On The Left, The House On The Edge Of The Park and Late Night Trains/The Night Train Murders offer more interesting, better-made examples of that particular theme (RAPE AND HUMAN DEGRADATION!) None are particularly graphic, mind, which is probably a very good thing. THOTEOTP also offers extra disco value, *plus* David Hess - in all but the character's name - reprises his LHOTL role in a film which is basically an Italian rip-off of that film (but waaaaay better and funner!). :D

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 pm

The first film I EVER watched on video was I spit On Your Grave when I was about 8 years old, I came in from School and my dad had made himself a member of the local video shop (a porta cabin in a car park :lol: ) and was watching the video as I walked in so I watched the rest of it while my Mum and Sister held their hands over their ears in the dining room :lol:
The region2 disc of ISOYG is obviousley cut if you look on the BBFC site but I own the region1 that was released in the late 90's. I remember the absence of these films as I grew up and the reputation they had got through being banned so when you got to see them re-released the hype they had got didn't go down too well when viewed by a modern audience.
I took my girlfirend at the time to see Chainsaw, Excorcist and A Clockwork Orange at the cinema when they were re-released.......... 7 years younger than me she wasn't impressed.......... I Loved it!!
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Moviecensorship.com is good site to check out detail on censored movies.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am

Fred83 wrote:
supermario wrote:The Cannibal films (Ferox, Apocalypse); I Spit on your Grave (got to watch much of that at school somehow!), Driller Killer. They were gruesome at the time, especially when some of them were being portrayed as "real", when I was a young lad but laughable now.
italians where masters at making some really shocking movies.

Such as Phenomena? With the bird from Labyrinth in it? Seen parts of that and it looked quite nasty, also had a CRACKING soundtrack from Goblin, with parts of it redone and covered by Rhapsody!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Fred83 wrote:i remember when childs play 3 became unavailable
Yeah I remember that. It was because those 2 kids who killed James Bulger said that film was one of their favourites. I had it on video when I taped it off Sky when I was young and when Childs Play 3 was in the papers for said reason I hid it under my bed wrapped in a jumper and I was convinced that one of my friends was going to tell the police and id get arrested! :lol: :lol:
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:43 am

^At the time, the ex-rental tapes of Child's Play 3 were going for £50+, bad copies for £15 (which was pretty damn high back then)!!!

Biggest problem was, the killers'd never seen it, the film was a massive pile of sh!te anyway, the tabloids once again created some pointless, scapegoat 'demon' which sold more copies more because of its notoriety than its quality. And if I remember correctly, wasn't it a "15"?

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 am

Yeah there was no proof they had seen it and like you say it gave them something silly to blame, making it exchange hands for silly money and hypeing it up to hell!
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 am

A similar sanario(spelling) happened with Michael Ryan (The Hungerford Massacre) back in the 80’s. The press made a huge fuss over the fact he owned a ‘Rambo’ knife and was a massive fan of the film and rented it time and time again. It only came to light much later after the story died down that Ryan didn’t even own a video recorder!
Oh, and Child’s Play 3 is a big bag of w*nk.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 pm

List here of the most controversial movies all time-
http://www.filmsite.org/controversialfilms.html

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:13 pm

*link removed
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.