Video nasties!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

James A

Re: Video nasties!

Post by James A » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:There was so many in the 70's and 80's.

C.H.U.D
Basket Case
Re-animator
XTRO
Phantasm
The Warning
Demon Seed
Driller Killer

Ohh to be 10 again!!!!
I know Xtro released as a 15 now. its funny to see how unshocking alot of these films are now, Saying that there still is some bad stuff out there especially with animal crueilty in some of the Italian films.

Im suprised no ones mentioned on here the Japanese Guinea Pig films. Ive not seen them yet but alot of people say they are pretty bad.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 am

I've seen the first 2 Guinea pig films and they're pretty extreme. The 2nd one, The Flower Of Flesh And Blood is one of the most brutal films I've seen. As a film its absolutely terrible, as a gory special effects showcase and an endurance test for a strong stomach its very good though.

If that's your bag then Maskhead and the August Underground films might be up your street as well.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

retromax

Post by retromax » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Came in from school when I was about 8 and my Dad was watching "I spit on your Grave" in the living room on our new "3 feet thick" top loader video while my Mum and sister were sat in the dining room not daring to enter.... :lol: anyway I sat and watched it with my Dad.
I have a few of the banned tapes from the early 80's which I wouldn't dare put into my DVD/VHS recorder in fear of breaking the machine with their age!!... probably be worth something one day, I have 2 copies of the Excorcist and a Chainsaw Massacre... the Chainsaw Massacre still looks like new!... obviousley all been re-released for quite some years now but I still have the pre-cert's.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:07 pm

the shock factor is gone now,surely since arrival of internet shopping and channels you could go to get the uncut versions,anyone agree?.

eastcoasteric

Post by eastcoasteric » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm

We are lucky in America, we barely get any censorship for extreme violence.
However, if someone shows a boob, then it must be banned!

It makes no sense to me

I AM WALKING THE COW

Post by I AM WALKING THE COW » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Video nasties are awesome, its all before my time but evil dead, I spit on your grave, last house on the left etc are all great films

It wouldnt be the same if these films were all made on a huge budget either, it would have ruined them imo
Image Image Image Image

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Bought a couple of the Cult Labs DVDs released by Arrow films because of this thread, so far I have

House by the Cemetery
Street Trash
City of The Living Dead.

They all have really good transfers and decent features and are more importantly UNCUT.
I'm tempted to collect them all as there are quite a few Dario Argento ones on there who I'm a big fan of :D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 pm

GunstarHero wrote: Street Trash
Excellent film, very funny and well put together and one of my all time favourites. The parody of 'I Did It My Way' over the end credits is brilliant. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DemonEyeX

Post by DemonEyeX » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:28 pm

The video nasties - a much misunderstood part of UK entertainment history.
I was only 7 when the video recordings act came into existence, obviously a bit young to be into gory movies, but by the time I hit my early teens I got a taste for scary films.
You know what kids are like - tell them that they can't have something & they just want it more, I guess thats how it worked for me.
Now, as computer\video game collectors know, even the most elusive item can be found for the right price with a bit of patience. Back in the 90s (before every shop was a tesco), many early video releases could be found for tiny amounts of money in second hand shops, market stalls & car boots.
I've seen vids that i've bought for 50p go for £100+, but I can't see myself ever getting rid of them, even though they rarely get watched, any decent films have since been purchased on DVD, some of which seem to somehow lose entertainment value due to the enhanced picture quality
It's more like collecting Japanese games, the artwork & the big old box with all it's attached history is what does it for me, the majority of these films only ever got noticed because of the gory artwork on the sleeves, and contrary to popular belief, many of the releases were cut versions (Evil Dead, The Beyond, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain & many more).
Some of these films are pretty terrible, but have some incredible moments of unintentional humour, however some of my alltime faves are also included on the notorious DPP list.
Anybody else out there got any interesting stories regarding bargain finds, some pics would be cool.
Last edited by DemonEyeX on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mum,Dad - Can I Have Another 10p Pleeeaaaase.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:34 pm

i did find amazon uk you can pick up some videos cheaply,some of them would not be available on dvd yet.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:40 am

DemonEyeX which of the old 80s horror videos ones are worth watching out for to make a bit of money on?? Ive seen a few at carboot sales but never picked them up as generally you can get them on DVD or just download them. A friend of mine did get the The Beyond and Evil Dead 2 DVD Tin sets at a carboot quite cheap. I think they are pretty scarce.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 am

Henry.
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 am

DemonEyeX wrote:Anybody else out there got any interesting stories regarding bargain finds, some pics would be cool.
No pics, but a few years back, in about 2004/2005/2006(?), after going 'all-DVD', Blockbuster bizarrely started encouraging people to trade-in their old VHS tapes. The resulting stacks of VHS vids were then sold off at 99p, buy one get one free (I sh1t you not).

As I was a heavy eBay seller at the time, I struck gold on certain £20ers like War Of The Buttons and that Chris Rea flick, La Passione, but on a certain Tuesday afty, I bought the *actual* 'video nasty' The Werewolf And The Yeti and Terror (on the rare "Cinehollywood" label), 99p BOGOF!!!!

I watched both (Terror's decent, Werewolf... sucks massively) and plonked them on eBay. Werewolf... went for about £45, Terror went for an amazing £91, even though it's not a proper nasty! I'm not bullsh!tting here, either. :D

Also, back in about 1992, I found a Cinehollywood Devil Hunter original for £2.50 at Wakefield market, only to foolishly swap it for some lesser pre-certs from another collector who exploited my then-17 year old naivete. It was worth a bomb. What a p!sser. :(

supermario

Post by supermario » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Still not watched "I Spit on your Grave" - I just wanted to get the 20,000th post on this section......

supermario

Post by supermario » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 pm

I wrote:I Spit on Your Grave was on the Horror Channel this week so I've Sky plussed it.
Bet it's crap when I finally get round to watching it.
Yeah it was and rather unpleasant even though I skipped around 30 mins of it, plus it didn't have the scene I though in it which I now believe came from Halloween II.
Scene is - Someone has been badly burned and lying in hospital, totally bandaged with only 1 eye exposed. Someone comes stabs them through this eye with a hypodermic - Anyone confirm this is the correct film ?