Video nasties!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Fred83

Video nasties!

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Who remembers these.The news reports in papers,banned in your own country.Then might be released years later.Now since the internet and digital tv.A lot of movies like reservoir dogs,natural born killers,henry portrait of serial killer would now be often shown late at night.Whats your memories of all this?.
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supermario

Re: Video nasties!

Post by supermario » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

The Cannibal films (Ferox, Apocalypse); I Spit on your Grave (got to watch much of that at school somehow!), Driller Killer. They were gruesome at the time, especially when some of them were being portrayed as "real", when I was a young lad but laughable now.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 pm

i remember when childs play 3 became unavailable

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 pm

I remember Nightmare On Elm Street being banned from my local vid shop. They'd happily hand over Texas Chainsaw Massacre to me (knowing I was about 12) but the owner put his foot down with Freddy K :shock:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

supermario wrote:The Cannibal films (Ferox, Apocalypse); I Spit on your Grave (got to watch much of that at school somehow!), Driller Killer. They were gruesome at the time, especially when some of them were being portrayed as "real", when I was a young lad but laughable now.
italians where masters at making some really shocking movies.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:40 pm

was a little too young at the launch of the "video nastie" being born in 1981, but had an older brother who was in his teens, he religious went out of his way to collect a whole bunch on VHS and BetaMax at the time. When I was a little older in my teens in the early 90's he passed them down to me, so too speak lol watched them all and became the wonderfuly balanced human being I am today lol I transfered alot of them onto DVD a few years back to preserve them as some of them are the original uncut efforts before the BBFC came into force and runied it all for the "stable minded" among the world. but got a huge list:

ANTHROPOPHAGOUS THE BEAST
THE BEYOND
ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (UNCUT EYEBALL SCENE)
CONTAMINATION (ALIEN CONTAMINATION, ALIEN 2)
EVILSPEAK (UNCUT PIG EATING SCENE)
FACES OF DEATH (WITHOUT 35MINS OF CUTS)
THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE (WITHOUT CUTS)
NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES
SHOGUN ASSAISIN (FIRST TWO BABY CART MOVIES STITCHED TOGETHER FOR THE US MARKET)
THE TOOLBOX MURDERS

Among others, countless overs, I sold a fair few of the bootlegs on ebay back in its infancy before ebay stopped such things, so only either have a DVD or a digital file on the HDD somewhere, but some of the transfers are shocking lol wasnt really upto speed on video transfer in the early days so just settled for what looked good at the time and left it at that.

I know some of them on the list have been released (living dead at manchester) but the cuts just turn them into non sensical movies which is a shame. Oh if you havnt figure it out, im quite into this subject (in a non psycho im going to do you in way!!) In fact before I forget, CONTAMINATION (Alien Contamination) is currently being shown on THE UNEXPLAINED CHANNEL on SKY as part of there 9pm movie showings, but be warned, all the gut exploding effects are heavil edited but the GOBLIN soundtrack is still fu-cking awasome!!
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 pm

I might watch some them movies."shameless films" and "criterion" often release controversial movies.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:04 am

tekaotaku wrote:ANTHROPOPHAGOUS THE BEAST
THE BEYOND
ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (UNCUT EYEBALL SCENE)
CONTAMINATION (ALIEN CONTAMINATION, ALIEN 2)
EVILSPEAK (UNCUT PIG EATING SCENE)
FACES OF DEATH (WITHOUT 35MINS OF CUTS)
THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE (WITHOUT CUTS)
NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES
SHOGUN ASSAISIN (FIRST TWO BABY CART MOVIES STITCHED TOGETHER FOR THE US MARKET)
THE TOOLBOX MURDERS
The ones I've highlighted in crimson have been released on UK DVD *fully uncut*! In fact, many of the better nasties have emerged on UK DVD unscathed by the censors. There's a few more I'd like to be released uncut - Absurd, The House On The Edge Of The Park, Blood Bath, Nightmares In A Damaged Brain, Island Of Death, but the jury's out on whether they'll ever get released over here(???)

Amazingly, all of Fulci's main zombie gore opuses - The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters, House By The Cemetery - have been released completely uncut in the UK. Plus, even Cat In The Brain is uncut over here these days!!!

As I was 8 in 1983, I was pretty much weaned on the nasties, it was a fabulous time watching such amazingly weird cr4p, I developed a real love for cheapo horror flicks and it was great going to school and people'd be raving about certain films, it's be like "Have you seen that bit in Dawn Of The Mummy?...", it was great. :D

Less than a decade later, I used to collect the original nasties, seek them out from car boot sales and the like, the ones I couldn't find, I'd pay £10 for a crappy VHS copy just to see the ones I couldn't get, it was like Pokemon.
I ended up flogging them on eBay in 2001/2002 and made a small fortune (enough to keep me in ganja for a good eighteen months, as I was a heavyweight weed-mong at the time), I still think that big-box retro UK VHSes are the absolute bomb. I also remember the time of the Bulger biz, and market stalls were selling big-box rental tapes of Child's Play 3 for £50 a pop (and it was a fooking 15!)

In recent times, I've gradually tried to get all the nasties in their uncut DVD incarnations. As certain films haven't been released in their full versions due to lost prints and whatnot, it's pretty difficult, plus there are lots of films on the nasties list (Devil Hunter, The Werewolf And The Yeti, Cannibal Terror etc.) that are simply too abysmal to even contemplate rewatching. I mean, most of 'em ARE sh1te, but there's a few seriously good films on there (Evil Dead, Tenebrae, Shogun Assassin, Z.F.E., The Beyond etc.) and it's a pretty good "occasional hobby" to have, nasty collecting. :wink:

Anyway, gotta catch 'em all (including the ones that never made the "list of 39"!!!)

PS, @ tekaotaku, you were right about the awesome Goblin music in Contamination, I rank this track as their mightiest tune (even above the godly "Snip-Snap"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUOxvPaJuE

:D :D :D

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm

I saw Contamination at the Dublin Horrorthon there last year. Great fun, but like most of the late 70's early 80's spagetti horror movies, makes very little sense. Well maybe a bit more than the Beyond or some of Lucio Fulci's other movies. Was a pretty cool night out though. Ian McCulloch was there to present it with a fair few anecdotes about making Contamination, Zombie Flesh Eaters and Zombie Holocaust. Even spoke a bit about the "Banned 100" list.

Personally I only have very vague recollection of the whole media uproar. There was a market near my house that had a stall which started selling bootleg VHS's of them all. They had a massive poster for Fulci's 'City of the Living Dead' over the stall which has been emblazoned in my mind ever since.

Vipco's vault of horror had a great deal of them re-issued there a while back, but went bust in 2007. There is a line called "shameless' which is re-issuing a fair few of them, fully uncut too. They recently did 'The New Your Ripper' and 'Manhattan Baby', which I think is possibly Fulci's craziest moment.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Shogun Assassin
Savage flick alright. Watched it again recently. Only discovered recently that its actually a piecing together of a bunch of old 70's Japanese movies. Saw the box set of the originals in London last year but it were mucho espensivo.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 pm

^I've seen the Babycart series of films since watching Shogun Assassin, and though they're great, they don't have the Capcom-style solid energy of that film, watching the entire series takes a lot of patience unlike the instant blast of funk you get from Shogun Assassin. They are good, mind.

It's like, they've just cobbled together loads of the funnest, most gored-up sequences from the Babycart flicks, tightly slotted them together and added the most f*cking awesome battle-ready synth music you could ever wish to hear. What the Americans did to the Babycart films should have been oh so bad, but it turned out to be better than any film with Bruce Lee in! :lol:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 pm

"new york ripper" is supposed to be a right shocker i heard.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 pm

^Well, it's certainly gory, though the effects are really rubbery and it's hard to take the film seriously, especially as the titular 'ripper' bloke makes quacking noises throughout. Definitely not a great Fulci film, but interesting to lovers of culty sh1te! Ropey as it is, I'm pretty sure it'll never get released uncut in the UK due to its overly misogynistic use of violence (though, like I said, it's so poorly done, it's less shocking than some bananas).

It was basically an Italian rip-off of an American film called "Maniac", which is a *much* better movie.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Island Of Death is another video nasty

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Last time i went to New York i picked up a massive load of the previously banned DVDs from a second hand shop in Brooklyn. I got all three Luci Fulci double packs, Cannibal Holocaust + Ferrox, Zombie Flesh Eaters 25th Anniversery, Urotsukidoji Perfect Edition and some others ones. I was bricking it coming back through customs. The worst one out of the lot that i saw though was Black Emanuelle in America, i felt ashamed to have watched that it is so messed up in places.

Reading this thread is bringing back some fond memories especially being back in school and hearing of all these mythical movies. Someone had always seen one of them and would go on about how horrible it was making you all the more determined to see it. Most of the time though they turned out to be pretty naff. When the Bulger killing happend the Daily Mail had a list of the ten movies they wanted banned at the time. Im so glad i read that list as Hard Boiled and The Killer were on there and so hence got me into John Woo and Hong Kong cinema.

I remember when my folks first got a VHS when i was about five the first video i got was Bronx Warriors as the cover looked cool. On it it had a trailer for Slugs which had an exploding head on it. It was terrified after watching that trailer but i think it set the seeds for what i was looking for in movies later in life :D