THE YOUNG ONES

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:04 am

Robbo wrote:
roberthazelby wrote:Just such a shame that the Young Ones DVDs have bits and pieces cut out of them :(
What bits were cut out as I was considering buying them? If you're right then I won't bleedin' well bother!

I know I was watching UKGold the other night (or was it a few weeks back?) and the episode (I believe it was 'Bored') saw big chunks of a scene cut out at the point where a bloke was giving away a car and get's called a "sambo darky coon" by the copper wearing sunglasses.

I can't stand all this political correctness bollox... next thing you know, Game On will be edited to remove any references to 'girly shirt lifting toss pieces' or 'ginger tossers'. :evil:
Could we have a moderator censor this post, please? It offends my delicate sensibilities and gives me bad feelings. :shock:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:52 am

Sorry but I agree with censoring sh!t like that. I love the Young Ones, but some jokes should be left inthe 70s.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:12 am

Hmmm maybe that came across wrong. I agree that there's no place in modern comedy for racist comments and that, all I was saying was that when I buy these older shows I like to watch them as I remember them, not cut to pieces. So to me that's political correctness gone mad.

I do think you chaps can sometimes be a bit 'over reactive'. :roll:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:07 pm

I'm suprised that The Young Ones has been cut in this way,esp when you consider that Love Thy Neighbour and In Sickness And In Health have been released on dvd - if you cut out all the racist comments in those two,you'd have no show left at all
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree that political correctness went mad (especially in the late 90s) and wanted to pull my hair out when they tried to stop people saying blackboard! Even more so when they said we shouldn't fly England flags during the world cup, but some things really annoy me and racism is probably top of the list.
Sorry if it seemed over reactive, but when you feel strongly about something you speak up.

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:52 pm

SirClive wrote:Sorry if it seemed over reactive, but when you feel strongly about something you speak up.
Well I think I could have worded it better but I hope I got my point across in the end! :wink:

You're correct that there is no place for racism in the modern world but comedy shows from yesteryear obviously did have a bit of it in them. I do believe it was Warren Mitchell himself who said that when he played Alf Garnett, the racism his character showed was intended to make Alf Garnett look and idiot, or words to that effect.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:05 am

Robbo wrote:You're correct that there is no place for racism in the modern world but comedy shows from yesteryear obviously did have a bit of it in them. I do believe it was Warren Mitchell himself who said that when he played Alf Garnett, the racism his character showed was intended to make Alf Garnett look and idiot, or words to that effect.
I know where you are coming from, but unfortunately that may have been Warrens justification for it but the narrow minded biggots in this country certainly didn't take it tha way.
That said, I did like watching Alf Garnett and it didn't turn me into a racist.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:52 pm

SirClive wrote:
Robbo wrote:You're correct that there is no place for racism in the modern world but comedy shows from yesteryear obviously did have a bit of it in them. I do believe it was Warren Mitchell himself who said that when he played Alf Garnett, the racism his character showed was intended to make Alf Garnett look and idiot, or words to that effect.
I know where you are coming from, but unfortunately that may have been Warrens justification for it but the narrow minded biggots in this country certainly didn't take it tha way.
That said, I did like watching Alf Garnett and it didn't turn me into a racist.
Thing is , can you be a racist if (like Alf) you hate everyone?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:53 pm

depends on why you hate them

Brilad

Post by Brilad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:13 pm

The 'racist' jokes in the Young Ones were obviously satirical...written by people having a pop at the Thatcherite establishment*. I seem to remember coppers wearing aviator shades appearing in other Rick and Ade/Comic Strip Presents... productions.

Why these jokes are cut is totally beyond me.

Filthy Rich and Catflap is one of my faves...the dead milkmen sequence is top. And where he has a dinner party for Brucie and Tarby. Nigel Planer is superb as the seedy Filthy.

To me, the reason I like the young ones best is because of the surreal aspects, like where posters would come to life etc, or where there would be a totally random sequence like those two blokes on the raft.

They also had the balance of Mike...with his odd statements...it was a play on the traditional sitcom mum/dad/two kids. At one point they tear through the titles of the good life.

OK sorry for rambling.

B.

*who now are arch Blair arselickers...Queen the Musical anybody?

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Brilad wrote:Filthy Rich and Catflap is one of my faves...the dead milkmen sequence is top. And where he has a dinner party for Brucie and Tarby. Nigel Planer is superb as the seedy Filthy.
FR&C is a superb show, far better than Young Ones and probably on a par with Bottom.
The Trivial Persuits/GMTV show is superb.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:39 am

I remember thinking at the time that The Young Ones was far better than FR&C when it was first shown.

Watching them again now I would say that they were at least on a par but FR&C is practically Bottom anyway in an early form.

All of them pale in front of "More Bad News".
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:41 am

Just noticed this thread! I used to love the young ones, my brother taped them all onto VHS cassette and they were well used and well loved in our household.
The 'racist' jokes in the Young Ones were obviously satirical...written by people having a pop at the Thatcherite establishment*. I seem to remember coppers wearing aviator shades appearing in other Rick and Ade/Comic Strip Presents... productions.
I agree, it shouldn't have been cut out, the racist comments were made by a policeman wearing dark glasses. It was a joke about the police. If you cut that then you may as well cut all the sexist/racist/religious gags in things like the office and Extras, but as in the young ones, we are not laughing at the comments we are laughing at the idiot saying them.

Oh.. and am pretty sure as someone said earlier that the episode where Vyv is "pregnant" is indeeed the same one where Neil joins the police.

Unless someone with a better memory knows different of course

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:59 am

scunny wrote:
I agree, it shouldn't have been cut out, the racist comments were made by a policeman wearing dark glasses. It was a joke about the police. If you cut that then you may as well cut all the sexist/racist/religious gags in things like the office and Extras, but as in the young ones, we are not laughing at the comments we are laughing at the idiot saying them.

Oh.. and am pretty sure as someone said earlier that the episode where Vyv is "pregnant" is indeeed the same one where Neil joins the police.

Unless someone with a better memory knows different of course
The racist jokes in THAT episode of TYO was a joke about the police becoming a fascist, racist bunch of barstards (Could the writers see into the future..?) and not a cheap gag just poking fun at someone's colour.. He actualy says it to Neil, who is so pasty he couldn't be any whiter... The joke is that the police are so stupid and rasist they would nick someone just for being black when in fact they were white and the copper forgot to remove his sunglasses...

Neil does just join the police force to earn money to pay for Vyv's baby...
Heres your uniform, mind the special branch on your way out.. :)

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 am

what's so special about that?