Electronic Arts' Deluxe Paint (DPaint)
100%
Cloanto's Personal Paint (PPaint)
No votes

Total votes: 10

woody.cool

Deluxe Paint vs Personal Paint

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:05 pm

We've had a thread recently mentioning the delights of Deluxe Paint on the Amiga, but there were other contenders to the graphics market, one of which was Cloanto's offering, Personal Paint.

So, here's the poll, which do you prefer?

Fred83

Re: Deluxe Paint vs Personal Paint

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:07 pm

only ever used deluxe because it was bundled free :oops:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:17 pm

I got PPaint 4 on a coverdisk with Amiga Computing (full prog, no restrictions) but I've always found (even in the later versions) that the animation facilities are quite weak in Personal Paint.
Also, PPaint uses much more memory than DPaint ...... the only reason I can see for Personal Paint (PPaint) is that if you have the DataTypes installed, you can open & save GIF, JPG, BMP, PNG and PCX as well as a whole host of other formats. DPaint only does IFF ILBM.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:25 pm

full program of personal paint was given away with amiga format cd50, issue 135,cd can be found on ebay or on a search

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I went for DPaint too..simply because PPaint came after wards and at this point Dpaint 4 aga had it sown up with all elements with Anim brushes, 256 colour palette support, HAM,and the amazing Kara-Fonts, I just felt PPaint was really good..but tried too much to take on Dpaint which at that point everyone was using to create game sprites, intro and animations..PPaint may of had it's technical extras, but I think everyone knew Dpaint still over shadowed it, sure what about "Brilliance" and incredible art package that surfaced which was super fast at handling higher resolutions even better than Dpaint..but still didn't cut the ice over DPaint..so I'm afraid Dpaint is still the winner here..but a great thread to compare them..I used both, but at the time Dpaint was the god given!
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Greyfox wrote:I went for DPaint too..simply because PPaint came after wards and at this point Dpaint 4 aga had it sown up with all elements with Anim brushes, 256 colour palette support, HAM,and the amazing Kara-Fonts, I just felt PPaint was really good..but tried too much to take on Dpaint which at that point everyone was using to create game sprites, intro and animations..PPaint may of had it's technical extras, but I think everyone knew Dpaint still over shadowed it, sure what about "Brilliance" and incredible art package that surfaced which was super fast at handling higher resolutions even better than Dpaint..but still didn't cut the ice over DPaint..so I'm afraid Dpaint is still the winner here..but a great thread to compare them..I used both, but at the time Dpaint was the god given!
Well, PPaint was going a long time .... the versions 4 and earlier were all from the Kickstart 1.2/1.3 era, so almost as old as DPaint!

However, I agree with what you say about DPaint being better. I used quite a few packages: DPaint, PPaint, Aegis SpectraColor (that was a mistake) and Brilliance (not a fan tbh, but I was still on an A500+, although with an 8MB RAM upgrade, at the time)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 pm

I really like these V.S. threads..as you get the two sided sword view3 to what ppl where using and revealing there flaws etc...with Dpaint everything was so accessible to the user, the interface, I even when to the extremes and bought 3 training VHS tapes on Dpaint 4 from America, and create a Earth globe Spinning created using Stencils + Masks, it even had a highlight in the top corner, making it look 3d on a 2d plane..cracking stuff!!..we really where doing near next gen 16bit art work with these programs, and always find the time here and there to watch a repeat of Eric Schwartz Animations for inspirations and pure delight at what the Amiga computer could do.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Not 100% sure, but I think the 'Deluxe' suite of applications were the only non-game software to ever come from Electronic Arts! Can anybody verify this?
(I say the Deluxe suite, as there was Deluxe Paint, Deluxe Print, Deluxe Video and Deluxe Music)

The other reason I liked DPaint so much, was that it was easy to import the animations into AMOS Professional (which was my programming language of choice back then) ..... PPaint seemed to do odd things with the file format of animations.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Greyfox wrote: always find the time here and there to watch a repeat of Eric Schwartz Animations for inspirations and pure delight at what the Amiga computer could do.
amazing when you look back on it,the computers they had in school,they where shíte compare to the amiga,the amiga was really powerful comp before the arrival of the cards on p.c,old school used to have apple macs,my own amiga was more bloody powerful than them!.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Fred83 wrote:
Greyfox wrote: always find the time here and there to watch a repeat of Eric Schwartz Animations for inspirations and pure delight at what the Amiga computer could do.
amazing when you look back on it,the computers they had in school,they where shíte compare to the amiga,the amiga was really powerful comp before the arrival of the cards on p.c,old school used to have apple macs,my own amiga was more bloody powerful than them!.
I remember when I started secondary school, we had a mixture of IBM PS/2 PCs running MS-DOS 6.22 and Acorn Archimedes A3020s.
The Acorns were pretty cool machines and could do quite a lot. I could never get my head around that bizarre operating system though (RISC OS) ..... this is where the Amiga really did p*ss all over the other machines ..... the integration of OS, custom chips and memory usage was perfect.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:11 am

woody.cool wrote:Not 100% sure, but I think the 'Deluxe' suite of applications were the only non-game software to ever come from Electronic Arts! Can anybody verify this?
They had The Music Construction Set in 1984, Instant Music in 1986 and Studio 32 animation tool in 1990.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat May 01, 2010 6:03 am

DPaint. It was brilliantly designed, and a joy to use.

I think I use PPaint a few times, but I didn't like it. Probably because I'd got used to DPaint, but if it was the other way round I might have moved from PPaint to DPaint.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Only ever used DPaint on Amiga! Sorry! :cry:

I used version 2, 3, 4, and I occasionally use the 4 AGA version(via WinUAE).

Lost land of Amiga

Post by Lost land of Amiga » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:30 am

Sad but I only have an Amiga emulator now (Amiga forever), and its not very DPaint frendly I tried to beef up my old Amiga but the firm {Power Computing}I bought all the stuff from let me down constantly as they did with Pee See stuff.

Im asking for anyones help here, Do you know any paint packages for the PEE SEA that can do animation and all the other stuff as good? :x
Last edited by Lost land of Amiga on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:44 am

Spent most of my time using Degas Elite on the ST.

:oops: