World in action

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

World in action

Post by Fred83 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Who remembers this program on itv all those years ago.it covered various topics,used to catch an odd glimpse of it from time to time.Some of the topics might seem laughable/acceptable in todays world,like the "shocking" topic about the great acid house partys of the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsdUExawFg
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wil

Re: World in action

Post by Wil » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 am

When I was a kid in the '70s World In Action was only matched by Panorama in its 'instant boredom' factor. I'd happily go and clean my room rather than watch either of those. Now, of course, I'd probably find it quite interesting but as modern day Panorama has turned into a Daily Mail sensation-fest I'd imagine that if they brought World In Action back it, too, would be a pale imitation of its former self.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 am

laishacollins wrote:That was one of the amazing shows I have ever seen. I had seen many of videos as well and I never missed single episode of it and also used to see repeal telecast of it. It was fun show.
Ha ha sorry i've just noticed this post from that crappy spammer.

Funny theyre trying to look like theyre 'normal' and join in (when they just want to spam that Web design company - Still havent a clue at all why the mod's never changed the sig despite a few requests to) but its funny as anything that they obviously dont know what the program World in Action is about.

I've never heard someone calling it so amazing or saying 'they never miss an episode' or it and its a 'fun show'. Very funny. 'laishacollins' will probably reply in a Schindlers List thread next and say its one of the greatest comedies of all time

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 am

You fancy them :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Brilad

Post by Brilad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 am

Wil wrote:When I was a kid in the '70s World In Action was only matched by Panorama in its 'instant boredom' factor. I'd happily go and clean my room rather than watch either of those. Now, of course, I'd probably find it quite interesting but as modern day Panorama has turned into a Daily Mail sensation-fest I'd imagine that if they brought World In Action back it, too, would be a pale imitation of its former self.
Heh heh I remember 'instant boredom' very well. Those programmes absolutely guaranteed to get the telly switched off.

The best example I can give of it was a programme called "aap ka hak" which was an Urdu language version of "Have Your Say". The English "Have Your Say" was bad enough but multiply that by putting it in Urdu and I'm off out on my Arena double quick.

Aap Ka Hak might have been Granada only.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm

My gran still thinks standing too close to a microwave will cook your brain, thanks to the infamous WIA from the 70s (know about it cos of that Electric Dreams on BBC4). Mind you, in her case there may just be some evidence! :lol:

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:35 am

Ah yes World in Action, oh how I hated the theme tune, and that picture of the man with his arms outstretched - which incedentaly is the 'Vitruvian Man' by Leoardo da Vinci.

I don't think I ever watched it. I think at first I was put off by the theme, and then as I got older it seemed really depressing, but I was rather young back in the 1980's.

Theme and opening sequence from the early 80's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4LCieQ7 ... re=related

I've found a full episode here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SoundLad#p/u/46/DwJlZrNPviY about unemployment in Birkenhead, probably from from the early 80's when over 3 million were unemployed. I haven't watched it yet, but this thread has ignited an interest, one which I never had back then.

I didn't realise that it continued until the late 90's. I must have been playing too many PS1 games and watching far too much stuff on Sky to notice.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm

It used to be one of ITV's top programs. Made by Granada. Chris Huhne(the Energy secretary) was a producer on the program. I do remember one program, featured the former Tory MP(now newspaper columnist)Matthew Paris, trying to live on benefits for a week.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Brilad wrote:Aap Ka Hak
This and "Weekend World " on a sunday made the wait for BJ And The Bear seem like a fricking aeon.

Edit: And now I've remembered Brian Walden who looked like a Sontaran and was only slightly less scary than Raggety out of Rupert Bear. I won't sleep tonight.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Crunchy wrote:BJ And The Bear
That sounds like something completely different to what it probably is.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
Crunchy wrote:BJ And The Bear
That sounds like something completely different to what it probably is.
It features a trucker and a chimp.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Crunchy wrote:
Brilad wrote:Aap Ka Hak
This and "Weekend World " on a sunday made the wait for BJ And The Bear seem like a fricking aeon.

Edit: And now I've remembered Brian Walden who looked like a Sontaran and was only slightly less scary than Raggety out of Rupert Bear. I won't sleep tonight.
The 'Weekend World' featuring the great 'Nanticket Sleighride' by Mountain as its theme tune. Yeah, now I notice the 'Sonataran' resemblance of Brian Walden. He is one of those people like Jonathon Ross and the late Roy Jenkins who seem to have trouble with their 'Rs'.

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

My wife starred in a reconstruction for 'World In Action' In her youth. Maybe I can peddle some signed photos on the forum (not THOSE Kind of photo's!!!! :D )