Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
bonerlaw
Posts: 3043
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:03 pm

tekaotaku wrote:how about james the cat, you just wouldnt get away with calling the main character "fatty" these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOTQI3Q ... re=related - james the cat

or how about the little green man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2ke-DL2XE

gonna be whistling that theme all day now, grrrrrrrrrrrrr............
Thank you sir! Nobody I know remembers The Little Green Man and Zoom Zoom!
Image

User avatar
tekaotaku
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Scunthorpe aka sunny scunny!!

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:21 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
tekaotaku wrote:how about james the cat, you just wouldnt get away with calling the main character "fatty" these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOTQI3Q ... re=related - james the cat

or how about the little green man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2ke-DL2XE

gonna be whistling that theme all day now, grrrrrrrrrrrrr............
Thank you sir! Nobody I know remembers The Little Green Man and Zoom Zoom!
I used to love the little green man when I was about 6-7 years old, apprently I used to drive my parents mad trying to whistle the music round the house. Not sure of the age of the cartoon, I think it was on re-runs ( or 3rd or 4th time round) when I watched it.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

User avatar
Helensification
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by Helensification » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:31 pm

I loved the Tomorrow's People and Battle of the Planets. I would make sure my homework was done just so I could watch them.

My school books were covered in sketches of Princess and Jason, who I 'loved'. I was very disillusioned when I saw what Casey Kasem (who's voice was used for Jason) really looked like.

Also there was a series which I can't remember the name of from the 70's. I remember a couple of the scenes where the adults were affected by the electric pylons and became like zombies and where a young girl was stuck in her bedroom and the standing stones on the grass outside kept moving closer to her house.

It scared me for a long time afterwards and I still don't like pylons. :D
Image

vanhelsing
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by vanhelsing » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:59 pm

ismellicecream wrote:
necronom wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:Mr Rossi (I think it was a french cartoon)
The main thing I remember about that is that the opening titles lasted for about 5 minutes!
All I remember is that you could always see both of his eyes, even when viewed from the side.

Anyone remember 'Hard time on Planet Earth'? With the nasty sensei dude from Karate Kid, where he was an alien with a little metal floating eyeball pet type thing?
Mister Rossi was Italian

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by Shinobi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Few others not mentioned yet

The incredible Smoo looked like the thing of a boy and his Blob
Tellybugs
Alfie Atkins just remember the episode when he couldn't sleep as he was so scared of the ghost in his house

That Lord of the Rings rip off cartoon where James Earl Jones done the voice 'Oberdon' or something like that
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by djcarlos » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 am

Will Kwac Kwac
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 am

Helensification wrote:I loved the Tomorrow's People and Battle of the Planets. I would make sure my homework was done just so I could watch them.

My school books were covered in sketches of Princess and Jason, who I 'loved'. I was very disillusioned when I saw what Casey Kasem (who's voice was used for Jason) really looked like.

Also there was a series which I can't remember the name of from the 70's. I remember a couple of the scenes where the adults were affected by the electric pylons and became like zombies and where a young girl was stuck in her bedroom and the standing stones on the grass outside kept moving closer to her house.

It scared me for a long time afterwards and I still don't like pylons. :D
It was called 'The Changes'. and I've always been scared of pylons too! Look like metallic giants :shock:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Does anyone remember this short film(???) that was on in the early/mid 80s, round about the time when 'V' was showing on ITV at night?

It was basically this little boy getting chased by Darth Vader (!iirc) onto this subway train, and it had this pulsating synth music in the background. It was only like five-ten minutes long, I *think*.

Anyone know what the hell I'm on about? It's been bugging me for years!

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by The Master » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:09 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Helensification wrote:Also there was a series which I can't remember the name of from the 70's. I remember a couple of the scenes where the adults were affected by the electric pylons and became like zombies and where a young girl was stuck in her bedroom and the standing stones on the grass outside kept moving closer to her house.

It scared me for a long time afterwards and I still don't like pylons. :D
It was called 'The Changes'. and I've always been scared of pylons too! Look like metallic giants :shock:
Wasn't the one with the standing stones called "Marianne Dreams"?
I like the sound of the pylon thing though.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

User avatar
Helensification
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by Helensification » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:40 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Helensification wrote:Also there was a series which I can't remember the name of from the 70's. I remember a couple of the scenes where the adults were affected by the electric pylons and became like zombies and where a young girl was stuck in her bedroom and the standing stones on the grass outside kept moving closer to her house.

It scared me for a long time afterwards and I still don't like pylons. :D
It was called 'The Changes'. and I've always been scared of pylons too! Look like metallic giants :shock:
Thanks 'paranoid marvin' - that does ring a bell.
The Master wrote: Wasn't the one with the standing stones called "Marianne Dreams"?
I like the sound of the pylon thing though.
Thanks 'The Master'. Now that you mention it, the two scenes could easily have been from different TV shows. The mind just messes things up at times, especially from 30 years ago. The pylon one (The Changes) was really good but it would be funny to watch it now and see if I can work out why it scared me so much. The only other thing I remember scaring me as a child was Dr Who - not the Daleks though, it was Dr Who himself. I apparantly hid behind the settee when he came on the screen (Patrick Troughton) but I was only 3 or 4 at the time.
Image

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by The Master » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 am

Helensification wrote:Thanks 'The Master'.
Just "Master" will do :D
Helensification wrote:Now that you mention it, the two scenes could easily have been from different TV shows.
"Marianne Dreams" was televised in 1972 as "Escape into Night":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_Dreams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_Into_Night

It still exists, albeit only in black & white thanks to the Beeb's "trash 'em all" policy of the 70s.

In fact I'm downloading it now...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 am

JazzFunk wrote:Does anyone remember this short film(???) that was on in the early/mid 80s, round about the time when 'V' was showing on ITV at night?

It was basically this little boy getting chased by Darth Vader (!iirc) onto this subway train, and it had this pulsating synth music in the background. It was only like five-ten minutes long, I *think*.

Anyone know what the hell I'm on about? It's been bugging me for years!
I want to know what this one is, sounds amazing!
The closest thing I can think of is Incredible Games, but that was more of a mid-90s gameshow thing. It had a bit where Darth Vader would chase them around a chess board, then sometimes pop up in corridors and chase them into a lift.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fred83
Posts: 6997
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by Fred83 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 am

ox tales!

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I want to know what this one is, sounds amazing!
The closest thing I can think of is Incredible Games, but that was more of a mid-90s gameshow thing. It had a bit where Darth Vader would chase them around a chess board, then sometimes pop up in corridors and chase them into a lift.
It definitely wasn't Incredible Games, though that sounds amusing in itself(!)

It was probably a one-off, it would've definitely been around 1983/1984, maybe some kind of Return Of The Jedi promo material (????). What I kind of remember is when Vader is just about to 'get' the kid near the end of the train, the kid's dad turns up and Vader is gone (something like that). The whole thing had this 80s 'neon' feel about it, and was pretty surreal.

I've asked about this years back on a now-defunct film forum, and never got any answers! :o

User avatar
Juggernaut Headcrush
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:34 am
Location: A baw-hair away fae Glesga.
Contact:

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm

JazzFunk wrote:It was probably a one-off, it would've definitely been around 1983/1984, maybe some kind of Return Of The Jedi promo material (????). What I kind of remember is when Vader is just about to 'get' the kid near the end of the train, the kid's dad turns up and Vader is gone (something like that). The whole thing had this 80s 'neon' feel about it, and was pretty surreal.

I've asked about this years back on a now-defunct film forum, and never got any answers! :o
Piqued my interest too, so I typed "Darth Vader" and subway into Google, and someone else was looking for it on another forum...don't know if it was yourself or not :lol: . Here's what they wrote...

"I think I know what you're talking about. It was one of those odd little film shorts HBO used to run inbetween movies in the 80's.

The plot is basically just a boy riding alone on a monorail(?) type of train. (I remember it being an elevated track.) He was reading a Marvel Star Wars comic, and his imagination cuts loose as the train keeps going. A whole lot of pseudo-2001 visuals set to a synthesizer score follow, as the boy imagines travelling in hyperspace and firing at the bad guys.

There is no dialogue, which is why it might have seemed like it was a music video.

When he arrives at his station, Vader is waiting for him! He starts to flee, when Vader grabs him! The boy snaps out of the fantasy, and realizes it's just his older sister. They go down the escalator together. The End."
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest