Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pottyboy

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Fishsta wrote:I know it's had a brief mention, but Ovide Video had a great theme tune, although I can't remember exactly what it was about.
Yeah, Ovid Video! It was some birds who lived on an island and ran a restaurant, and there was a snake who tried to sabotage it a lot. Also some koalas.
Still got this on VHS, but for some reason the sound doesn't work anymore. Hmm.
OMG I remember this!!! I've not seen it for years, yet I still have the theme tune stuck in my head!!!

Opening Titles
Closing Titles

Also, has "The Family-Ness" been mentioned? Got the 2 DVDs from Play.com through the post yesterday :-) Nice little cartoon from the same people who brought us Jimbo and the Jetsets.

Believe it or not, there was a Family-Ness 7" single record! It had an extended version of the closing theme (called "You'll Never Find a Nessie in the Zoo") which is also heard during the last episode, with an extended version of the opening theme as the b-side!

Extended Closing Theme
Extended Opening Theme

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Yeah, with their magical thistle-whistles?

Bit of a weird memory on that one - I'd never get out of a bath until that song had been sung (this is when I was about 4 or 5 years old).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:48 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Yeah, with their magical thistle-whistles?

Bit of a weird memory on that one - I'd never get out of a bath until that song had been sung (this is when I was about 4 or 5 years old).
Yep that's the one :)

Oddly enough, I never saw it very much when I was little, and me and my brother would only watch it if it was just on (i.e. we never turned the telly on just to watch that one show). I did enjoy it though, and I did once have a video that had 2 episodes of it (along with other programmes like Pigeon Street, Ivor the Engine etc).

It's a pity you can only get most of the episodes on dvd. The 2 DVDs available have just 8 episodes each. There are also 5 more episodes that have appeared on various VHS compilations, and 4 of which are unavailable - almost to the point of being "lost" :-(

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Tried YouTube? Could always see if the missing ones are on there, then stick them on a home-made DVD thing.

On the subject of "lost episodes" - I'm sure there's one missing from the "complete" Bucky O'Hare DVD. Something to do with the toads turning a planet into a health spa, this one wasn't on the DVD. Puzzling.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:54 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Tried YouTube? Could always see if the missing ones are on there, then stick them on a home-made DVD thing.
I originally tried torrents first. However, I couldn't EVERY episode that were not on the DVDs (just those 5 episodes that were on previous home video releases), and they wouldn't download anyway as they weren't being seeded. So off to YouTube I went. Downloaded those 5 episodes, but still couldn't find the other four. According to the info that was provided with the torrents, episodes 16, 18, 19 & 20 never appeared on a commercial home video release. At the moment, the only way to see these episodes is to either get your hands on the original masters, wait until it's on TV again, or pray in hope that some people have taped them off the telly and not got rid of them!

Considering that the 5 episodes I've downloaded are VHS rips, I'll just burn them as a DivX disc. Pretty much all our players in the house will play them.
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:On the subject of "lost episodes" - I'm sure there's one missing from the "complete" Bucky O'Hare DVD. Something to do with the toads turning a planet into a health spa, this one wasn't on the DVD. Puzzling.
I never heard of this cartoon until I saw the Unconverted feature last issue (issue 90). I can smell another trip to YouTube coming :-)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 pm

You think that's bad?
Round The Bend - three series, all I can find are two YouTube clips, each only half an episode (separate ones), both atrocious quality - even Avidemux can't clean them up, and it's worked miracles for me before.
Any help - I'd like more Doc Croc, Wee-Man, Ricky, Transformazoids... I'll stop there!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 am

Round The Bend, yeah... Teenage Mutant Ninja Toilets, Wooly The Wonder Sheep, that one episode where they all caught a disease that makes you spotty and spin around on the spot... Good stuff.

If everyone here would've had the common sense to record every minute of CITV every day for seven years, we wouldn't be in this mess.

And Pottyboy - Bucky O'Hare is great! Really catchy theme song, fairly likeable characters, good action... It's ages better than Masters Of The Universe, that's for certain.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:22 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:And Pottyboy - Bucky O'Hare is great! Really catchy theme song, fairly likeable characters, good action... It's ages better than Masters Of The Universe, that's for certain.
Just finished watching the first episode and... I enjoyed it! Full of over the top action and excitement. with a wee bit of humour thrown in for good measure!

It's an early 90s cartoon, and I was born in 1986. How could I have missed this?

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 am

Liamh1982 wrote:You think that's bad?
Round The Bend - three series, all I can find are two YouTube clips, each only half an episode (separate ones), both atrocious quality - even Avidemux can't clean them up, and it's worked miracles for me before.
Any help - I'd like more Doc Croc, Wee-Man, Ricky, Transformazoids... I'll stop there!
Round The Bend can be found on Tony Husband's website, along with a load of his comic strips, including some of the stuff he did for Oink!.....

http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbvideowall.html
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:00 am

deadpan666 wrote:Round The Bend can be found on Tony Husband's website, along with a load of his comic strips, including some of the stuff he did for Oink!.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D :D

Cheers!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:37 am

deadpan666 wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:You think that's bad?
Round The Bend can be found on Tony Husband's website, along with a load of his comic strips, including some of the stuff he did for Oink!.....

THANK YOU! :D :D :D :D :D

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:03 am

No problem...always glad to help when I can, chaps! :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:18 am

Just watched the whole of the first series, and have the page bookmarked!