Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

deadpan666

Re: Retro TV that nobody seems to remember...

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:38 am

Another one people look at me blankly when I mention, is Alias The Jester...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SklU6f5rkoM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs6pe_ ... shortfilms
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Scolly

Post by Scolly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:53 am

Some that come to mind that I used to watch as a kid (I was more of a 90's child being 25).

Super Mario Bros. Super Show
I actually have 4 DVD's of this show with the live segments they used to do before the cartoon began, Lou Albino (Famous WWF/E Wrestler R.I.P.) being Mario and Danny Wells (Dunno) being Luigi, nearly every episode they had a celebrity appearance (Sgt. Slaughter, Magic Johnson etc.) and the last couple of series they changed the live segments to a "New cool, hip show" called 'Club Mario' which was censored... :wink:

Are You Afraid of the Dark
I have series 1 to 4 of this, for those who don't know it was about a group of kids that named themselves 'The Midnight Society' and every night they would tell a horror story in which would lead to (Like Super Mario) another segment where the story is acted out by actors not relating to the midnight society.

Saved By The Bell
We all know this I think :D

California Dreams
I have series 1 to 3 of this programme, it was an American sitcom about a group of friends, who were also in a band, struggling with every teenage dilemmas and wanting to 'Make it'. Every episode would feature a song that they usually performed in their favourite hang out (Sharky's). I'm not doing it any justice with my synopsis, but it was really good and still is!

Spiff and Hercules
I used to watch this when I was at Primary school, I remember watching it everyday after I finished school. It was about a cat and dog that were best friends but always fighting and trying to get one over each other (best friends huh?) usually the episodes would end on good terms with Spiff (Cat) and Hercules (Dog) arm and arm laughing in the background. Another thing that comes to the memory is that most objects (Benches, lamp-posts, doors etc.) had cartoon faces and would usually give an expression depending the dialogue at that time.

Pokemon
Yes, as a child I absolutely fell in love with this, this literally took over my life as a kid (I don't regret it), I had everything (and still do) from Nintendo 64 'Pikachu Edition' to the Cards and DVD's. But yeah this TV show began the phenomenon of Pokemon. It all started with the Gameboy Games (Red, Blue and Green (Jap Released) ) and then WHAM! it was everywhere you looked.

Dragonball Z
This is probably the best cartoon that was ever created in my opinion, even now I can still watch it (I have all the DVD's), although not really a fan of GT or the original. The animations at the time were sublime.

So yeah there is a few of my favourites as a kid. :)

mryanski

Post by mryanski » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 am

joefish wrote:
Kilb wrote:I never saw a single episode of that as my Mum made me go to Cub Scouts. Missed all of the Blue Thunder TV series because of that, too.
HAHA, me too, bloody mums eh!!
You never got the red ring of death from a good old megadrive! RIP Sega hardware.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm

not quite got round to reading the whole thread yet, but there was one i remember watching at my nan's, and it was about a zoo vet. every episode something was happening (the monkeys were being sick) and he had to work out what was wrong with the animals. i loved it at the time (though it was probably cruel to the animals knowing it was so old :oops: ) but i can't think what it was... any ideas? think the zoo vet had curlyish hair and a beard... hmmm.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 am

thingonaspring wrote:not quite got round to reading the whole thread yet, but there was one i remember watching at my nan's, and it was about a zoo vet. every episode something was happening (the monkeys were being sick) and he had to work out what was wrong with the animals. i loved it at the time (though it was probably cruel to the animals knowing it was so old :oops: ) but i can't think what it was... any ideas? think the zoo vet had curlyish hair and a beard... hmmm.
I know the thing you mean, wasn't it set in the fifties or sixties and there was something about opening the first ever safari park......the hair and beard jogged my memory......it was probably on Sunday nights......

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 am

thingonaspring wrote:not quite got round to reading the whole thread yet, but there was one i remember watching at my nan's, and it was about a zoo vet. every episode something was happening (the monkeys were being sick) and he had to work out what was wrong with the animals. i loved it at the time (though it was probably cruel to the animals knowing it was so old :oops: ) but i can't think what it was... any ideas? think the zoo vet had curlyish hair and a beard... hmmm.
Yes, I used to love that series too. It was set in the 1950s, when safari parks and exotic pets started to become more common. It's based on the real life experiences of a vet called David Taylor. David himself was often a consultant to TV programmes that featured wild animals, and he also reared a young lion cub by hand.

The series is called "One By One", and the series of books it is based on started with "Zoovet".
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 am

ah one by one - that certainly rings a bell! many thanks. that sounds exactly like the one, i'm going to have to look around online to see what i can find - at least i have something to go on now! cheers... 8)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Anybody else remember Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? :lol:

More awful late afternoon/teatime telly but I seem to remember enjoying it. I think.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Megamixer wrote:Anybody else remember Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? :lol:

More awful late afternoon/teatime telly but I seem to remember enjoying it. I think.
Anyone remember Skippinder the Punjabi Kangaroo from Goodness Gracious Me? Great parody!

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Project UFO This was on when I was 9 or 10 that was in 78-79. I liked it a lot. I thought the opening theme was very interesting especially the alien who talked to a human and asked if he understood him. The alien wore a helmet that showed only his mouth. I remember its lips were eerily huge!

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm

was talking to a mate today about old cartoons, as you do, he mentioned this

the little green man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2ke-DL2XE

I couldnt remember it then he you-tubed the intro for me and it came instantly back to me due to the whistling. Been humming and whistling this tune for about an hour now, the git!
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:34 pm

I remember it now too. Wasn't it on Channel 4 early in the morning?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 pm

The Little Green Man! Had no idea what you were talking about before clicking on your link there - now I know what tune's been stuck in my head for the last twenty years. Lovely little thing.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

tekaotaku wrote:was talking to a mate today about old cartoons, as you do, he mentioned this

the little green man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2ke-DL2XE

I couldnt remember it then he you-tubed the intro for me and it came instantly back to me due to the whistling. Been humming and whistling this tune for about an hour now, the git!
Yeah, that bloody tune has driven me mad for years too.....it'll pop into my head at random intervals and hang around for days! :lol:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:34 am

Yahoo UK have started doing an interesting weekly feature, looking back at what was on TV in the past. And last week's entry was for a Friday night in 1988, including the brilliant BBC police drama Rockliffe's Babies. Anyone else remember this? DI Rockcliffe (Ian Hogg) was in charge of a group of very young detectives and they ran around the Bristol area in a tatty old van, solving mysteries and unmasking ghosts.... I mean catching villains.