Grange Hill

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:44 pm

Ahem, I'd keep that sort of activity quiet if I was you ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

big1aust

Re:

Post by big1aust » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Spiff wrote:I don't know why the BBC don't release Grange Hill DVD boxsets, they'd make a fortune.
Not all that sure they would - for example the little-known cult comedy film "Restless Natives" used to sell for near the £100 mark before it was brought out on DVD (I think it had a rental-only release on video). Now they struggle to sell it on for a fiver on DVD.

Thing is, while GH is very nostalgic and holds a lot of great memories for those of us of a certain age - would THAT many people really buy it on DVD? Especially after you've watched the first series and realised how crappy it all seems now??

I bought a taped-from-TV version of Channel 4's brilliant One Summer drama for a tenner off ebay as it has never had an official release only to find after watching it that it really wasn't too brilliant now !!

Talking of kids TV of that era , anyone else remember the Liverpool scally series "Rocky O'Rourke". It's another one I'd love to see again but I'm sure it'd be pretty poor now!!

Cheers
big1aust

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:24 pm

A chum of mine made a small fortune by flogging Tuckers Luck DVD's copied across from grainy ancient VHS tapes on Ebay til the Beeb got a bit legal.

A lot of people say that Grange Hill died when Danny Kendall did. That's not a bad call actually because the Education Board got involved with the programme and suddenly Bullies had a conscience, playground punch-ups were a thing of the past and god forbid, teachers were actually liked and respected.

I still fancy Fay Lucas.
Jenkins, get down off of there!

Wil

Re:

Post by Wil » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:08 am

Baxter wrote:I still fancy Fay Lucas.
That's so predictable :D I always had a soft spot for Georgina Hayes. Must have been the upper class look she had going.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:17 am

LeeT wrote:A few years ago they decided to suddenly change the location of the programme from London to Liverpool without any explanation
Uh, seriously? Is there a "Grange Hill" in Liverpool, then?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

big1aust

Re:

Post by big1aust » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Wil wrote: I always had a soft spot for Georgina Hayes. Must have been the upper class look she had going.
So it wasn't just me then !?!?!

If memory serves right, they reunited some of the old Grange Hill cast not long ago for a one-off concert. If I also remember right, as well as Roland and Zammo , Fay Lucas was on the program and still looked very nice.

Cheers
big1aust

C4

Post by C4 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:28 pm

Anyone remember when they had the illicit Super NES tournament with Super Tennis and Super Soccer?

skinny

Re:

Post by skinny » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:01 pm

Baxter wrote:I still fancy Fay Lucas.
Julie Marchant for me. And Laura Regan.

Bloody hell, I'm a sad old Hector.

Johnnyclaymore

Post by Johnnyclaymore » Thu May 11, 2006 8:33 am

Brilliant programme, but what started the downfall was the change in the theme tune. How can you justify that?

Not forgeting also, they took out the flying sausage at the start.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am

Just bought the Seasons 1-4 box set from HMV for £45 :)

Flippin' eck! :)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:28 pm

I remember the old Grange Hill series back in the 80's. It felt like I was watching a kiddies version of 'Scum' but set in Secondary School. :shock:

I remember it had alot of controversal subjects back then which you would not see now in today's Grange Hill series.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:31 am

Best thing about Grange Hill was Melissa Wilks (Jackie Wright)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 am

i loved the 80's Grange Hill, i Realy hate the Newer one dont have that same buzz

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 am

video-gamer-girl wrote:i loved the 80's Grange Hill, i Realy hate the Newer one dont have that same buzz
When I was a kid it was ok to fancy the girls but its probably not ok for me to do that now, which is why its crap these days!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

big1aust wrote:Thing is, while GH is very nostalgic and holds a lot of great memories for those of us of a certain age - would THAT many people really buy it on DVD? Especially after you've watched the first series and realised how crappy it all seems now??
I totally agree with you but i'm sure a fair few would buy it. Its like the Dangermouse dvds or other old skool cartoons, yeah its quite good seeing a few minutes of one to bring back some memories but i would never want to watch countless episodes.

Grange Hill is good to watch for a bit (for nostalgic reasons again) but its not like a set you would ever keep watching time and time again or see the 'directors cut' kinda thing.

BUT after seeing some of the dvd sets people buy on this forum i'm sure many people would buy this !