Grange Hill

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LeeT

Grange Hill

Post by LeeT » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:58 pm

As a person of a certain age, I used to watch this programme when it was still classed as groundbreaking and exciting.

I remember around 1981/82 our Headteacher at Junior School had a long rant in assembly - saying that GH contained lies and that we shouldn't watch it.

Like yeah! :roll:

I've still got a Grange Hill Annual (1983) and a couple of Tuckers Luck ones - Elaine Lordan (ex- EastEnders and I'm a Celebrity collapsee) is featured as she appeared as one of the character's girlfriends.
Last edited by LeeT on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:19 pm

Grange Hill started just before I started at Comprehensive, so it had a big effect on what I could expect. It pretty much nailed it too.

I remember when Tucker, Benny (and possibly Alan) were messing around with a skeleton and managed to set fire to the school somehow. They were caught because a partiallyburnt timetable belonging to Beny was found between the skeleton's teeth.

Also remember Trisha Yates's friends shoplifting from a boutique names Clockwork Orange.

I can't remember anyone's birthdays, yet I remember this stuff. :roll:

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:39 pm

Great program!

Amazingly, my kids were watching GH on CBBC today; it's horrible to see what has become of it - really tacky... :(

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:57 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Great program!

Amazingly, my kids were watching GH on CBBC today; it's horrible to see what has become of it - really tacky... :(
A few years ago they decided to suddenly change the location of the programme from London to Liverpool without any explanation - I think this was when Phil Redmond became involved with it again.

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:05 am

LeeT wrote:

A few years ago they decided to suddenly change the location of the programme from London to Liverpool without any explanation - I think this was when Phil Redmond became involved with it again.
Didn't it change location because in the story someone burnt the old school down? Sounded like a terrible idea.

If you're after GH love, you could point your browsers over to UKNova,

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:03 am

I can remember playing outdoors with my mates & when Grange Hill came on, we all disappeared indoors to watch it. A great program indeed.

achromic

Post by achromic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Ahhh, now that brings back many, many happy memories for me. I'd stop doing whatever it was that my mum was telling me to do (not that I listened to her much then, come to think of it, I don't listen much now :wink:), and watch the show.

Haven't watched to for donkeys years, probably cos I'm all growed up now, and don't watch kids shows.

Mainly cos I don't have the time, work, home, internet, sleep, wake up, work, home, internet, sleep, rinse, wash, cycle, repeat!
Achromic -

If it's not in stock, you really don't want it!

AC

Post by AC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:54 pm

Bah, I wish I was at comp during the 80's. :evil:

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:27 am

I don't know why the BBC don't release Grange Hill DVD boxsets, they'd make a fortune.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:02 am

Spiff wrote:I don't know why the BBC don't release Grange Hill DVD boxsets, they'd make a fortune.
Probably cos everyone's downloaded torrents of them! :)

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:52 am

LeeT wrote: Probably cos everyone's downloaded torrents of them! :)
I haven't! :P

Joe_Blade

Post by Joe_Blade » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:43 pm

I didn't try drugs because of Grange Hill. Zammo was on smack and it frightened me. Plus i used to fancy his girlfriend, also that scruffy kid who used to smoke - he died or something.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Joe_Blade wrote:I didn't try drugs because of Grange Hill. Zammo was on smack and it frightened me. Plus i used to fancy his girlfriend, also that scruffy kid who used to smoke - he died or something.
You mean Danny, who died in Mr Bronson's car (RIP Michael Sheard as well)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:22 pm

merman wrote:
Joe_Blade wrote:I didn't try drugs because of Grange Hill. Zammo was on smack and it frightened me. Plus i used to fancy his girlfriend, also that scruffy kid who used to smoke - he died or something.
You mean Danny, who died in Mr Bronson's car (RIP Michael Sheard as well)
The guy who played Danny Kendall is now a Financial Journalist (TRUFAX!!111!!) :)

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:22 am

roberthazelby wrote:
LeeT wrote:

Didn't it change location because in the story someone burnt the old school down? Sounded like a terrible idea.

If you're after GH love, you could point your browsers over to UKNova,
Great site!!! Downloading Stark, Read the book years ago and missed the film as I was on Holiday!!! Next up Garth Merengis Dark Place!!