VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

James A

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by James A » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 am

I keep seeing alot of the old Manga VHS's in the charity shops for peanuts. Alot of these i can't even find on torrent sites which is a bit annoying. I keep thinking maybe i should rescue the next VCR i see in the CA site at work.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 am

I have maybe 20-30 VHS tapes, but most I have newer, better versions of. I actually hate VHS - quality is shocking compared to DVD and Blu Ray (although we didn't really know at the time), especially after you have watched it a few times; they take up so much room (again, compared...); and because of this they are so utterly worthless but I can't bring myself to jut BIN the bloody things. Think I'm going to have to.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 am

James A wrote:I keep seeing alot of the old Manga VHS's in the charity shops for peanuts. Alot of these i can't even find on torrent sites which is a bit annoying. I keep thinking maybe i should rescue the next VCR i see in the CA site at work.
If it's obscure stuff that you can't even download but you want to watch it, I'd pick those tapes up and transfer them to DVD either with a combi player or using a VCR/DVD Recorder in conjunction.

Chances are that official PAL DVD's don't exist if the downloads aren't even available.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Just got myself another VHS player today - so now there's one in the bedroom and one in the living room :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Forgot to mention this when I bought it, but I now have one of those USB video capture devices.

One problem - even after installing the driver software and adjusting the settings, I can't get the audio to sound even half-decent. Maybe that's down to the fact that you connect the audio capture to the mic socket, which on my laptop is useless.

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Forgot to mention this when I bought it, but I now have one of those USB video capture devices.

One problem - even after installing the driver software and adjusting the settings, I can't get the audio to sound even half-decent. Maybe that's down to the fact that you connect the audio capture to the mic socket, which on my laptop is useless.
One of my pc's has an old TV card in it, the good thing about it though is that it has an hardware mpeg2 encoder so captures in DVD spec at realtime with no re-processing etc...... but I also have a DVD recorder with a built in VHS deck and 160GB HDD, I can record VHS to DVD on the fly or as I usually do it is to record to the HDD then I can edit it on the recorder and write it to DVD.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

Oh and I also have a Dazzle firewire capture device (somewhere) that captures from RCA/S-Video and captures to DV format avi so good for importing old footage into Adobe Premiere etc for editing.

Edit: It's called a Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge.... cost a packet when I bought it years ago!
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:03 pm

I managed to get myself a JVC Super-VHS off of Ebay for about £50. It has a in-built Timebase Corrector. Plus it is a JVC and they made good VHS decks. I brought it in preparation for video capturing some of my old VHS tapes. My current VHS player might be coming to the end of its life.

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Anyone who used to watch Manga anime videos, do you remember this music at the start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMx3h_zKyg