VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Fred83

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:26 pm

retromax wrote:Got told by a repair guy NEVER to use the ones that looked like a bit of white paper than ran round you Video heads as it was abrasive and scratched the heads. The ones that were ok to use used brushes intead of that paper thingy!!
Some of the tape would look like its made of fibre glass or something,but i don't think it could damage the heads since they are made from steel and are coated in dirt anyway?.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Fred83 wrote:
retromax wrote:Got told by a repair guy NEVER to use the ones that looked like a bit of white paper than ran round you Video heads as it was abrasive and scratched the heads. The ones that were ok to use used brushes intead of that paper thingy!!
Some of the tape would look like its made of fibre glass or something,but i don't think it could damage the heads since they are made from steel and are coated in dirt anyway?.
The guy mended video's and said he was always replacing head drums because they had been scored by head cleaning cassettes.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:52 pm

retromax wrote:
Fred83 wrote:
The guy mended video's and said he was always replacing head drums because they had been scored by head cleaning cassettes.
i read in the industry they use buds or some paper?

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 pm

When you look at a head drum it's nice and shiny, when a head cleaning cassette has been used the nice shiny drum looks dull so not only would the same abrasive tape had done something similar to the heads themselves but what eventual damage would the dull drum have done to your precious video collection over time.
If I ever had a bad tape that put dirt on the heads i'd either put a tape on forward search until it cleared (that does work as I did it a few months back)... or I would open the video recorder and manually clean each head around the drum with head cleaning fluid and one of those hard spongy type tools you got with a head cleaning kit.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:58 am

I had a Scotch Cleaning tape which I used to use on my old Philips mono VHS VCR. Was quite unusal in that it just had a picture saying "Cleaning Video". You had to mark it off on the tape's label each time you used it. I think you could use it 15 times or something like that. On my current VCR I haven't had to use a tape cleaning cassette - yet.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Well, I open the thing up and use cotton buds dipped in surgical spirit.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

That was the only problem with renting tapes, you could end up with crap all over the heads of your video recorder!!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

retromax wrote:That was the only problem with renting tapes, you could end up with crap all over the heads of your video recorder!!
Exact reason why i breathed a sigh of relief when dvds where invented,although people can be still careless handling them!.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Fred83 wrote:
retromax wrote:That was the only problem with renting tapes, you could end up with crap all over the heads of your video recorder!!
Exact reason why i breathed a sigh of relief when dvds where invented,although people can be still careless handling them!.
Yeah but no phisical contact with the player.... unlike vhs...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

retromax wrote:
Fred83 wrote:
Yeah but no phisical contact with the player.... unlike vhs...
i know that mate,but theres still people out there that handle them like they where a biscut or something or scratch the hell out of them :evil:

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:01 pm

My best VHS memory: There was a years-long period of my growing up where I was raised by a single mom and did not have much money (not a sob story, just relevant truth). I never had the best stuff (the NES being my own prized exception), but one cheap thing my mom did do for me was use VHS tapes to record episodes of The Real Ghostbusters show, as it was my favorite (by far!). Years later, we had dozens of dozens of episodes on VHS, and me and my sister loved watching them, a tape or two at a time, whenever we needed a fix. We definitely watched some of them so much that they began to wear out, both the audio and video. Good times. :)
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Ghostbusters was the first film I ever saw on video. :D

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

CIH wrote:Ghostbusters was the first film I ever saw on video. :D
Same here mate!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

Unfortunately for me, the first film I recall seeing on VHS (thanks to my mum and a rental section in our local newsagent) was Dirty Dancing, a tape that had been rented so often, that the tape had gone from near-black to a slightly patchy dark brown.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Unfortunately for me, the first film I recall seeing on VHS (thanks to my mum and a rental section in our local newsagent) was Dirty Dancing, a tape that had been rented so often, that the tape had gone from near-black to a slightly patchy dark brown.
Dude, you have my sympathies :lol:

Mine was Star Wars I think. What a great way to start watching VHS :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!