VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

All Sleeping Deity!

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by All Sleeping Deity! » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:29 am

Does anyone have any, ahem, adult vuideos from the 80's or early 90s? I could lie and say I was doing research for a work project, but I like watching them on VHS. Maybe its rose tinted specs.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:41 pm

:lol:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 pm

was going to say try amazon,but after looking, some are out of stock or have high prices :lol:

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 pm

I used to tape the ten minute freeview on Television X.

Then switch over to the german channels, RTL, VOX, what were the other ones?

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm

This seems a good a place as any - working at a house the other day they had a security camera monitor & VCR in their skip, the latter of which I liberated from its grave (been after one for a while, just didn't want to spend any money on one!). It works, bar playback - its quite slow and jittery. fast forwarding/rewinding is spot on however and it plays perfectly (though obviously fast-forwarded). In-between fast forwarding and normal playback it plays at normal speed for a second or two. Thus after looking through all the menus and attempting to change any obvious options I assume it probably just needs one of those cleaning tapes putting in? Any ideas?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:48 pm

was it a pro or ordinary vcr?,the pro sort you would normally find in a shop i assume?,i remember before asking about one in place and being told they hold hours and hours of footage on tape due to slow recording,what about your tapes,are they long play etc as they wont play right on a single head vcr,head cleaners can be got cheap on the bay,if all fails and if you know the make and model to hand i ask you to head over to vintage video and radio net forum i used them before,and found them to be real experts over there,some have their own businesses in selling and repairing vintage electronics.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php?

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Its this one at the top (Mitsubishi) - http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/recorders.htm

The tapes I've used are just normal ones I think, had a look on them and it doesn't say anything about long play. The same thing happens with all 3 of them I've got. There was a setting in the VCR's OSD that was 180 min and another number (Can't remember), that didn't make a difference either. I'll have an ask on that forum when I get some time to join up.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 pm

that has me stumped,what a find though!.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Maybe an obvious comment but you mentioned LP - if it was recorded in SP or LP and you play it back in the wrong one, you would get that effect. Just a thought.

And as to the original thread - yeah still have some somewhere but goodness knows where - I just use the internet now :wink:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:48 pm

head could be f#cked on it,hence maybe it was dumped in skip.

RPKGV

Post by RPKGV » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 pm

I still have VHS tapes as my VCR still comes in handy for certain things, even though I've had a DVD recorder since 2003.
My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more, http://www.youtube.com/user/RPKGameVids

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:35 am

Random question...I mentioned this in the film/movie thread in Off Topic but I have a VHS of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and it has a sticker on the front stating "Available for a limited time only on VHS" or something to that effect. It's a bog standard tape and this was long before DVD so...would it have been not available to buy after XXX amount of time had passed? Don't remember that sort of thing happening...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 am

Probably was or was an novel idea to push remaining stocks of vhs versions,or part of a boxset?,i remember terminator 2,back on the tape box it said it apparently had 17 extra minutes of footage inserted,but i don't think it had it unless someone else knows?.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:Random question...I mentioned this in the film/movie thread in Off Topic but I have a VHS of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and it has a sticker on the front stating "Available for a limited time only on VHS" or something to that effect. It's a bog standard tape and this was long before DVD so...would it have been not available to buy after XXX amount of time had passed? Don't remember that sort of thing happening...
I've still got my tape copy of that, with that exact sticker on as well. Plus, I've still got the original Jurassic Park on VHS as well. I'm going through a Star Wars VHS phase at the mo. Picked up The Empire Strikes Back (as mentioned in the TV/Films thread) and am after the original release of Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, even though I have them dvd and the 1995 re-releases (with the sticker THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS Available for the last time) plus the Special Edition VHS boxset. I just want a full collection og the original releases. Something nostalgic in them, I suppose.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Nothing wrong with that,the vhs boxes are nice and bulky,and some films haven't had a dvd release yet :?