VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Juggernaut Headcrush

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Fred83 wrote:tbh guys thats all fine but none of it was idiot proof,we all probably known someone who didnt bother rewinding tapes, never cleaned the vcr head,left tapes near magnetic sources :evil: :evil:
Or a cupboard that, unbeknownst to the owner, sat in a damp riddled corner of the bedroom...I lost about 100 videos due to mould growing on the actual film itself (you could see it through the wee windows). That included every single episode of Beavis and Butthead (complete with music video critiques which are absent from the dvds), the first 4 series of the X-Files, the first 3 series of The Word; and Porco Rosso, which I would have to wait another 15 years before I was able to watch again. I was gutted about that one.

On the plus side, Ghostwatch and my Liquid Television recordings managed to survive in the middle of all these videos, which was a miracle...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:Or a cupboard that, unbeknownst to the owner, sat in a damp riddled corner of the bedroom...I lost about 100 videos due to mould growing on the actual film itself (you could see it through the wee windows).
:lol: same thing happened to me,i told someone before it could happen and they didn't believe me!

sdaonline

Post by sdaonline » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 pm

I lost all my rare Amiga disks thanks to mould! I dread to try them out these days...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 pm

lost some to mould aswell :(

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 am

Oh sh!t, I put all my Amiga games into the same cupboard after I took the videos out. Erm...excuse me *dashes*

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 pm

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:28 am

Fred83 wrote:another memory lane trip for us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOb7Sog ... re=related
Almost all of my videos (indluding the pirated ones :oops: ) have that warning on them.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

I have about 200+ video tapes up in my attic..but I was clever..I used insulated containers...some rare movies up there too..like the 1986 Video release of "Little Trouble In Big China" from CBS/fox video..and the very first released NTSC version 1981 of "Raiders Of the Lost Ark" in it's cardboard video sleeve
woody.cool wrote: Almost all of my videos (indluding the pirated ones :oops: ) have that warning on them.
and I have a ton of hahammm other videos I dare not mention here...
I was thinking of selling them,but I changed mind..too many good memories with this stuff..and a good few of them still sealing in there original packing..
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm

i have queen greatest flix 1-3 on cassette :lol:
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

homgran

Post by homgran » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:34 am

I still have a big collection of VHS tapes in my parents' loft. My Dad wants rid of them, but I just don't have the heart to throw them out!

I think that VHS had some advantages over DVD. First of all, it was always incredibly easy to record TV broadcasts onto VHS. I mean, just about anyone could do it. When DVDs came along, it became much more difficult and awkward to record things off the telly (don't get me wrong, it's gotten better over the years... but it still lacks the simplicity of recording onto VHS). Secondly, VHS tapes are much more durable than DVDs. Sure they deteriorate over time, but they still work. I remember renting some DVDs many years ago, and some of the discs were so badly scratched that they wouldn't even play. Of course, this isn't an issue if you take care of your DVDs.

Having said that, the advantages of DVDs far outweigh the disadvantages (in my opinion). The improvement in picture and sound quality is staggering, and chapter-marks are a God-send (no more tedious rewinding/fast-forwarding!). I love all the extras, too.

I'm not convinced with Blu-Ray, though... the improvements over DVD are minimal, and there's no way I'm re-purchasing all of my favourite films again!

Speaking of VHS tapes, does anyone here have any recordings of the old video game shows that used to air? GamesMaster in particular was a personal favourite of mine. ;)

-Matt

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:26 am

I Brought the Wizard of Speed and Time off Ebay on VHS

Its ex rental and still has the £2 per night sticker on.. Im in love
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Fred83 wrote:another memory lane trip for us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOb7Sog ... re=related
I never understood the point in that. It was clearly aimed at small video rental stores who were duplicating the tapes, photocopying the covers, and... editing out the warning....
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:37 pm

homgran wrote:I

Speaking of VHS tapes, does anyone here have any recordings of the old video game shows that used to air? GamesMaster in particular was a personal favourite of mine. ;)

-Matt

Look on the torrent sites if you want to pick up Gamesmaster is your best bet. If I am not banned from the RG forum for suggesting that!!! :mrgreen:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:Look on the torrent sites if you want to pick up Gamesmaster is your best bet. If I am not banned from the RG forum for suggesting that!!! :mrgreen:
... as long as you don't post any links in the forum, I'm sure you'll be OK!

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:48 pm

My video collection hasn't seen the light of day for years except for Little Shop of Horrors and Rocky Horror Picture Show which my daughter likes to watch.

I used to collect the old Kerrang videos that contained music videos, interviews and concerts, some of them were really good and others naff. In fact alot of my videos are rock orientated. I really should play them again.

Now all I need is a working Video Player, other than the one my daughter uses, which is ensconced in her bedroom and you take your life into your own hands to enter there. :)