VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Hardest of All Freds

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 am

My copy of The Wizard of Speed and Time still has the original price ticket on it....

£79.99!!! :o :o
Going Solo...................

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Fred83 wrote:RE RECORD NOT FADE AWAY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzRpgXv ... re=related
Scotch video tapes!!!!!!
I loved them adverts :lol:

I still have quite an extensive VHS collection and I'm definitely not gonna bother replacing them with DVDs as the VHS tapes still work perfectly (well, most do)

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm

It's always dead embarrassing though when you're watching an old VHS tape with some friends or family members, it gets to the tits out bit, and the picture goes all to shit :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm

The Master wrote:It's always dead embarrassing though when you're watching an old VHS tape with some friends or family members, it gets to the tits out bit, and the picture goes all to shit :lol:
Yeah, but if you use Scotch VHS tapes, you don't get that problem of the picture going funny :wink:

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm

You sure? That's caused by repeated frenzied rewinding/forwarding/pausing, not re-recording :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:My copy of The Wizard of Speed and Time still has the original price ticket on it....

Iirc It was Rain Man that brought the price of videos ( proper films) down to a normal amount instead of being extortionate.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

mikesouthscene

Post by mikesouthscene » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:24 pm

The biggest problem with VHS is...

...they are RUBBISH!!

I had SO many good films on VHS that I do not own on DVD, but I just had to get rid of them because they were taking up space and since the dawn of DVD and Blu-Ray I just can't stand watching films on VHS now. The quality is SO poor and made even more so watched on decent LCD TVs. I don't do pirate DVDs or anythign like that. Films need to be seen the best they can be seen, otherwise it would be akin to listening to Pink Floyd through a wall!!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm

mikesouthscene wrote:.... I just can't stand watching films on VHS now. The quality is SO poor ....
The main reason VHS tapes seem poor is not the tape, but rather the cheap crap VHS players.
Invest in decent equipment to begin with, and you'll have less issues.

OK, I'm not gonna say VHS tapes are superb quality or surpass DVD, but they are far from 'poor' if semi-decent tapes and semi-decent equimpent is used. Also, regular maintainance helps (using a 'head cleaner' casette for instance) makes quite a difference to the reliability.

DVDs are better quality, but I've found that modern DVD players are sh*t when it comes to reliability and have had DVD players refuse to play perfectly good DVDs that contain no scratches, blemishes or finger prints at all ..... now you wouldn't catch a VHS player refusing to play a tape 'just for the hell of it' so why should some DVD players be like that!?!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

dont forget the physical contact between the head and tape,and the stretching of the tape reel inside from all that rewinding/fast fowarding.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Fred83 wrote:dont forget the physical contact between the head and tape,and the stretching of the tape reel inside from all that rewinding/fast fowarding.
Yeah, but, I've not had that happen to any of my VHS tapes ..... maybe I'm lucky!!!
As for rewinding/fast forwarding, it only stretches the tape if you have it playing fast forward or playing rewind, or, if you have one of those VCRs with a 'quickstart' mechanism that keeps the heads in contact with the tape, even when it's not playing .... try stopping the tape first, before pressing rewind/fast forward :wink: your tapes will live longer!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:My copy of The Wizard of Speed and Time still has the original price ticket on it....

Iirc It was Rain Man that brought the price of videos ( proper films) down to a normal amount instead of being extortionate.
I think the release of "The Making Of Michael Jackson's Thriller" had a major effect, also, I think that came out at around £9.99 or something, much cheaper than most VHSes at the time.

I also remember 'video music singles' being released on budget labels, we had 'Golden Brown'/'Strange Little Girl' by The Stranglers on one budget vid that must have cost a fiver! :lol:

I think "The Video Collection" in 1986ish brought the price of vids down, with sell-thru videos being sold at £4.99/£5.99 (colourised "It's A Wonderful Life", anyone...?!)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 am

Don't forget it helps to have high quality tapes as well. Do people remember the VHS head cleaning kits? I know some VHS machine have auto cleaning, but I do remember having to the head cleaning kits a couple of times. The first one I had you had to spray the solution on to the cloth tape in the tape and then inserted into the machine and pressed play. The second one I had was a Scotch automatic one which you you just inserted and play, then it would show a picture saying Scotch and cleaning VCR.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 am

Katzkatz wrote:The second one I had was a Scotch automatic one which you you just inserted and play, then it would show a picture saying Scotch and cleaning VCR.
I had one of those!
But yeah, the quality of the tapes helps .... decent machine + decent quality tapes = a nice VHS experience.
Avoid those cheap Alba, Bush, Matsui, Goodmans etc. VCRs and get something decent like Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 pm

tbh guys thats all fine but none of it was idiot proof,we all probably known someone who didnt bother rewinding tapes,never cleaned the vcr head,left tapes near magnetic sources :evil: :evil:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Yeah always get a decent brand for a VHS machine(If you are still using them!)eg Sony, JVC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi(they used to make them!).

I agree with you Woody about some DVD players. I had an old Toshiba one(so Toshiba are quite a decent) brand and whilst the picture and sound were excellent on it, boy was it a pain in the a*** for playing DVDs. Some would play, some wouldn't!! Ironically it could play all of my Region 1 and a few Region 4 DVDs perfectly, on my Region 2 DVDs I'd say it could only play 50% at best. I have since got a Philips DVD recorder and that plays every DVD I put in it!!!

I still haven't made the move to Blu Ray yet. Think for me that will be a while.