VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:57 am

Fred83 wrote:Probably was or was an novel idea to push remaining stocks of vhs versions,or part of a boxset?,i remember terminator 2,back on the tape box it said it apparently had 17 extra minutes of footage inserted,but i don't think it had it unless someone else knows?.
I had it as soon as it came out though. Just strange that the sticker sort of implies that the video was a limited release of some sort. Never thought it made any sense.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 am

anyone have more vcr memories ?.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Fred83 wrote:Probably was or was an novel idea to push remaining stocks of vhs versions,or part of a boxset?,i remember terminator 2,back on the tape box it said it apparently had 17 extra minutes of footage inserted,but i don't think it had it unless someone else knows?.
I had it as soon as it came out though. Just strange that the sticker sort of implies that the video was a limited release of some sort. Never thought it made any sense.
Disney do it quite alot with all their releases ensures that everything is not supersaturated and makes it more desirable will have a year or less on sale then deleted so can be reissued a further on down the line

T2 has at least 2 versions the cinematic release and Cameron then did a directors cut a few years later

Tell tale scene is when the CPU gets removed from Arnies head in the garage which isnt in the original version which just cust to the t101 keeping guard and some spiel about never sleeping
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Yeah i only seen that footage years later after the invention of youtube,always wondered why he turned good all a sudden.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Does anyone remember that Blockbusters used to sometimes order in too much stock for new releases and have to sell them off? This was good because in those days you could get a film earlier than it would be released on retail. You paid a little bit extra than a normal video, but only by about five pounds.

There was also another video store called "Playhouse" which would sometimes sell ex rental stock. I they went bankrupt a while back. Does anyone remember them?

The ex rental VHS video came in slightly larger cases.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 am

Anybody buy tapes from charity shops for a pittance and use them like blanks? 10 quid for a pack of 5 E180s? I'm not made of money!

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:50 pm

We had a Choices video shot near us and as mentioned above they would get 10-15 copies of a new release and sell them off a month or two later when the rentals dropped and they would probably keep about 2 copies for rental.
I still have over a thousand pre-recorded tapes split between mine and my parents attic, the rare stuff like the pre-cert Exorcist and Chainsaw etc. are in a cupboard.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Panasonic blu ray/vhs combo player that upscales tapes :D ,not available in europe though yet :(

Review-
http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/pan ... 0v-review/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:35 am

A niche product if ever I saw one!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 am

Still cool though,cant imagine how much it cost them to revive production on vhs parts,i often wanted to buy the dvd/vhs combos in lidl/aldi just for collection sake.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:56 am

It just seems strange that it's obviously marketed at people who clung onto VHS tapes, didn't get DVD versions but now want Blu-Ray. Can't see many people in that group tbh.

Still, I guess it's great for people with loads of rare tapes that never got DVD conversions :)

retromax

Post by retromax » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 am

And once again Sony fights back in the battle of the formats!! :lol:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Check out this guy's VHS machine collection, if only for the haircut!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBpqI2xtB4

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 am

Anyone like to debate on this,read from time that a head cleaner can damage the vcr head with its abrasive nature,surely they would had being pulled from shops years ago if that was the case?.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Fred83 wrote:Anyone like to debate on this,read from time that a head cleaner can damage the vcr head with its abrasive nature,surely they would had being pulled from shops years ago if that was the case?.
Got told by a repair guy NEVER to use the ones that looked like a bit of white paper than ran round you Video heads as it was abrasive and scratched the heads. The ones that were ok to use used brushes intead of that paper thingy!!