VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Fred83

VHS tapes!

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Oh yessssssssssssssss who remembers them days before we had the dvd.And who had a collection of them?.I used to have lots of them mostly movies etc.Before i had to throw them out due to the casual wear and tear they got.Do people still have their vcrs?.When your friend took a lend of tape it could arrive in shít condition because he never bothered to rewind or actually clean the tape heads on his one,now weres my tape head cleaner....
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rinoa

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:02 pm

When I was a kid my dad had a HUGE collection of videos, well over 1000. He had a lot of originals but most of them were recorded stuff. My mum got so fed up with them all she made him get rid of the majority of them. Think he sold a lot, but gave most of them to one of my brothers.

I think I probably had around 100 videos, but got shot of them when I had my PS2. I don't think I've owned or used a VCR since.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Still have a load of anime on video (Not on DVD yet)
And a load of vids im trying to give away

My VCR got some use the other day when I wanted to watch one of the films I have yet to get on DVD (I ain't paying thirty quid for a DVD version)
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 pm

I was in the spare room a cople of weeks ago and popped on my Ewoks VHS while I scanned the game shelves adding stuff to Playfire. Not for the first time either. I've used the VCR more in the last few months than I have in the last 5 years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:04 pm

I took my Samsung vhs recorder out of the loft a few months ago along with a few blank tapes and retail films. I remember selecting a few films from my collection that I wanted to keep while deciding which were going to the charity shop or bin. It's great having the machine set up. I have some old Garfield cartoons and my son loves coming into my study, sitting on the sofa and watching a few episodes of the orange cat for 1/2 an hour or so.

I've got a few large case films, from when I worked in Video House - I loved that job, that I just can't bring myself to get rid of. Robocop, American Ninja 1 & 2, Red Heat and I'm sure there are a few others.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm

WHSmith near me still has blank VHS tapes for sale but it's £15 for 3 :shock:

Anyway, I have lots of memories of VHS but I think it really is one of those things where the next leap in technology was a genuine improvement and not just 'different'. I can see people still being happy with DVD when the next thing comes along for example but VHS really was something to upgrade from.

Will be interesting to see just how long it takes for all of 'em to finally disappear - surely they'll just sit in junk shops forever?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah I still have my VHS recorder. I still have quite a few tapes(pre recorded and recorded off TV). It still gets used(if my SKy+ PVR, or Freeview PVR is full). The channel 4 slot on isn't working, so I had to set it to channel 6. It is still going strong. I brought it in 1999. It is a Goodman's model, with NICAM, 4 heads, and long play. I remember at the time it was quite cheap. It was just before the mighty DVD was released.

The local HMV still stocks new VHS tapes(3 hour ones).

My family had a Betamax VCR before(I think I started a thread about it in this very section of the RG forum). It was an old Sony model. A giant of a machine. It had a wired remote(which we only used occasionally as it was wired). It had switch buttons to
change channels.

We had to give in to VHS in the end. The jump to lower picture quality was okay I suppose, if it meant you could actual rent videos! ;)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Megamixer wrote:Will be interesting to see just how long it takes for all of 'em to finally disappear - surely they'll just sit in junk shops forever?
good point,i dont think they actually will,you can still get the dvd/vhs combi players

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Fred83 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Will be interesting to see just how long it takes for all of 'em to finally disappear - surely they'll just sit in junk shops forever?
good point,i dont think they actually will,you can still get the dvd/vhs combi players
True but they won't be around for much longer - it's a product that very few people want/need anymore so I can see companies killing them off as I imagine all the moving parts inside make them pretty expensive to make. I could be wrong about that last bit though but I'm fairly sure we won't see VHS hardware for much longer.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Ive actually still got a hell of a lot of vhs tapes that i have in a spare room in my parents, i want to get rid of them then realise they mean more to me than a couple of quid...i remember someone told me that ex rental movies are worth more to collectors because of the previews of other films at the start...some of these previews have bits that didnt make the original or werent even released in the end.

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 am

I love the VHS - never took to DVDs with all that menu gubbins.

Still got reams of tapes in the house, mostly for the kids, but the other-half buys some nice films in the charity shops for 10p each, we watch em once and then throw em away. Super.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

My VCR died about a year ago and I've haven't bothered to replace it yet.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 am

Ive got loads of VHS, mainly cos lots of stuff, Anime, Films that I have havent had DVD releaseas and are not likely too (Lost masters, already deleted from DVD catalogue and so on) So I cant move on or some of this stuff will be lost Forever.

Technology has a lot to answer for grrr
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Weve got a VHS in our living room. The thing is my mrs recently asked if its set up and I havent got a clue! I dont know why weve got one because we havent got any videos in the house.

Back at my mums ive still got my video recorder set up because sometimes if im round there before work ill watch a quick bit of one of my old wrestling videos.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Quite depressing how many VHS tapes i used to buy from Britannia video club ! What a waste ! Cant even sell them for 10p each !

Have a ton of vhs tapes still, used to tape loads of videos off the chart show and later MTV, quite funny looking back on these. Got a dvd recorder linked up to my video so when i have the time i like transferring a VHS tape onto dvd