Escape From New York

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpiffierRabbit

Escape From New York

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:02 pm

John Carpenter's finest film or it The Thing? Anyway either of them are awesome movies.

station

Re: Escape From New York

Post by station » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 am

The Thing I reckon. I also loved the game.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Just to be awkward I was going to pick Halloween! But I must admit The Thing is Carpenter’s best film. I do like New York a lot but it’s down the list with the likes of In the mouth of madness, Prince of darkness, Halloween, Big trouble in little china and Assault on precinct 13 above it. I find New York is a little slow in places and looks a little dated, great cast though (possibly the best cast of all Carpenters films)

If anything I tend to watch L.A. more than New York. I love the lighter (if un-even) tone even though it is just a re-tread of the original. Some of the CGI is (deliberately?) poor though. I wonder if we will ever see Escape from Earth?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 am

Escape From New York was really good at the time but I don't think it's aged well at all. It's all just a bit too cheap-looking, overacted and all Snake's antihero cliches really grate on me now. The Thing, on the other hand, seems just to get better with age. I just can't believe how such a perfect blend of horror and sci-fi could have flopped so badly as it did. Totally before it's time, I guess.

For my favourite John Carpenter film, I'd just have to go with They Live. Nice premise, brilliant execution, the best fight scene ever, and - like all his good movies - practically made on a shoestring.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Matt_B wrote:For my favourite John Carpenter film, I'd just have to go with They Live. Nice premise, brilliant execution, the best fight scene ever, and - like all his good movies - practically made on a shoestring.
I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubble gum

Classic line. Love They Live......but love The Thing and EFLA even more though.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Matt_B wrote:Escape From New York was really good at the time but I don't think it's aged well at all. It's all just a bit too cheap-looking, overacted and all Snake's antihero cliches really grate on me now. The Thing, on the other hand, seems just to get better with age. I just can't believe how such a perfect blend of horror and sci-fi could have flopped so badly as it did. Totally before it's time, I guess.

For my favourite John Carpenter film, I'd just have to go with They Live. Nice premise, brilliant execution, the best fight scene ever, and - like all his good movies - practically made on a shoestring.

They may seem like cliches now , but they weren't back then. EFNY is a great film , but doesnt come close to matching The Thing - then again , how many films do?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Escape From New York was really good at the time but I don't think it's aged well at all. It's all just a bit too cheap-looking, overacted and all Snake's antihero cliches really grate on me now. The Thing, on the other hand, seems just to get better with age. I just can't believe how such a perfect blend of horror and sci-fi could have flopped so badly as it did. Totally before it's time, I guess.

They may seem like cliches now , but they weren't back then. EFNY is a great film , but doesnt come close to matching The Thing - then again , how many films do?

By the way , my favourite Carpenter film is actually The Fog!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 am

paranoid marvin wrote:

Well, it certainly seemed a lot less cliche at the time but with hindsight that's as much because I didn't know Carpenter's influences as that they've subsequently been copied in turn.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to bag the film totally as it still has some moments of great spectacle and a really who's who of B-movies cast. I just see it as middling-good Carpenter rather than great.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Escape from New York is brilliant. As is the Fog and the Thing. But my favourite Carpenter film is either They Live!, Assault on Precinct 13 or Halloween. The Mouth of Madness got a whipping too but actually I kind of enjoyed it!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 am

Escape From New York was on ITV last night, so I decided to watch it again.

Really enjoyable! :)

I like quite a few of John Carpenter's films.

I really like Assault On Precinct 13 as well.

But Escape From New York and They Live have to be my faves!

Any Wrestling fans notice Ox Baker in the Gladiatorial scene?

They Live of course starred Roddy Piper as well :D
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Loved Escape From New York (and L.A.) when I was younger but haven't seen them for years so no idea how they fare up now.

Random gaming fact: Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series was based on Snake Plissken :D

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:56 pm

The Thing blows Escape From New York out of the water.I'm a science fiction fan and I just found EFNY pretty boring.Maybe I should watch it again

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I really like both EfNY and The Thing. Not sure I could chose between them. I too watched EfNY recently when I stumbled upon it whilst surfing the channels. Thoroughly enjoyable :) I didn't think it had aged too badly. in fact I think it added to the charm of the film.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Rinoa wrote:Random gaming fact: Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series was based on Snake Plissken :D
Very well known, and they even refer directly to it at one point in MGS2. Without any spoilers, I'll just say that the reference occurs when the 2 heroes meet ingame...
Where logic won't work, I will

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Just watched it agian the other night, classic very cool. In my mind it still stands up very well NO NEED FOR A HOLLYWOOD RE-MAKE. Now Escape from LA oh my god what a mess
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image