Fluorescent socks

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Fluorescent socks

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 am

Alright, then, he used to own these?

I used to walk around wearing one pink and one yellow. Despite thinking I was the coolest kid on earth, I obviosly looked like a pratt :lol:

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:18 pm

Ha ha! I forgot about them! I must admit, I didn't have a pair but know people who did - they now wish they hadn't either... :wink:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:43 pm

I didn't own any of those, but did wear white sports socks whilst at school. :)

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:45 pm

I used to wear them in conjunction with stretch jeans (Smart R's bought from Jeanery in Sheffield) :oops:

Mohair jumpers too. :lol:

Tachikoma

Post by Tachikoma » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:53 pm

Wow, I remember those now, I used to have luminous yellow socks... I think I see why I forgot that now... *represses memories*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:58 pm

Surely someone must have a picture of themselves wearing a pair...

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm

Do you mean those horrendous skiinng socks? I've never been skiing, so not guilty your honour.

FishyFish

Re:

Post by FishyFish » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:00 am

RetroBob wrote:Do you mean those horrendous skiinng socks? I've never been skiing, so not guilty your honour.
Don't know about that, I don't know what skiing socks are. The day-glo socks of the 80s were made of some strange, man-made, terry-towelling stuff. After you'd had the socks a while the fluffiness would wear off and you'd get tacky looking bald patches on your socks.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:11 am

I always wanted these but my mum wouldn't buy me any.

Instead I sported some lovely white sporting socks instead - nice ;)

Morkin

Re: Fluorescent socks

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:58 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Alright, then, he used to own these?

I used to walk around wearing one pink and one yellow. Despite thinking I was the coolest kid on earth, I obviosly looked like a pratt :lol:
I owned quite a few pairs & always wore odd ones, thinking I was very hip. :lol: I used to wear them with black cords, black Levi shoes & a black bomber jacket. I have vague memories of hoisting my trousers up to show off my socks...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:02 pm

No one's got any pics then?

Mad Gear

Post by Mad Gear » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:01 am

Yes but they aren't on my feet ;)

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:06 pm

I remember having fluorecsent socks and they were all the rage at one stage along with fingerless gloves.We used to wear them during a spot of Breakdancing on a piece of lino in the town centre.

We thought we were cool as hell but obviously not.Its funny though how breakdancing and body popping became all trendy again though recently.

A bir later on we was wearing flares and listening to the Stone roses and Happy mondays,I cant believe they've given it a bad word in ..cough.. GTMs retro section this month.

The music was excellent a bit short lived,perhaps the fashions werent that hot but at least it was an excellent era for Music and partying.Alot better than the X factor popstar Idol rubbish that we have now and have had for sometime....

The eighties were great werent they games,dodgy pop music and what more could we ask for in times of a bad government.
Last edited by Adamski on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimster

Post by Jimster » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:55 pm

What was it with the fluorescent fad in the 80s? Is my memory playing up or weren't there some biscuits that were vile shades of green and yellow? And something akin to Monster Munch in equally horrific colours?

Let's hope that fashion doesn't come around to repeating that decade like it has the 60s & 70s...
Jimster
Rewind Editor

For your free, regular slice of retro journalism!

FishyFish

Re:

Post by FishyFish » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Jimster wrote:What was it with the fluorescent fad in the 80s? Is my memory playing up or weren't there some biscuits that were vile shades of green and yellow? And something akin to Monster Munch in equally horrific colours?
Yes, there were - I used to love them - but I can't remember for the life of me what they were called. There were a number of spooky themed biscuits in each pack, all different colours. I seem to recall that you got a free sticker with them or something too.

Damnit! Now I'm going to have to trawl the internet in order to find out what they were called... :(