Bring back UMBONGO!!!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Bring back UMBONGO!!!

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:35 am

Edited my earlier post, it was too orangey, not fruity. :oops:

What the devil are they putting in the water down here? my memory is going. Sure as hell ain`t Umbongo! :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:27 am

Wish they'd bring back Quatro- cool looking can , cool name , great taste. Why did it go away? :twisted:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:07 am

It was probably highly toxic, LOL
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Top Deck would get my vote

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am

I'm sure I had Um Bongo a few years back...and was promptly disappointed because it had been subject to the "healthy eating" brigade so it no longer tasted anything like it used to and more like cheap diluted tropical juice : (

If it comes back it should be like the recent comeback of Sunny D - drop the parent focus groups and get back to a decent tasting drink while still keeping it nice and refreshing

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Remember Zig & Zag's Zog Juice? A bit like Ribena but with bits of jelly floating around in it. Bring that back, and also Zig & Zag. Please.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:37 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Wish they'd bring back Quatro- cool looking can , cool name , great taste. Why did it go away? :twisted:
Yep, Quatro would get my vote which I used to use to wash down some Golden Wonder (or poss KP) Tandori crisps!! Used to love those as a kid, they were in a red packet with a pic of the Taj Mahal I believe!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Danforth

Post by Danforth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:51 am

felgekarp wrote:Did they ever drink it in the congo or was that just a big marketing ploy?
About 10 years ago now I was waiting for a haircut and browsing the traditional barbers' array of lad's mags. Among the usual typewritten bellowing and lowbrow humour in one issue was a Letter of the Month, with photo, from some guys on holiday in the Congo who had found Um Bongo on sale. Going by their facial expressions in the pic, this was the greatest find of their lifetimes. :)
Clones are People II

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm fairly sure they still make it. I had a big bottle in my fridge sometime last year. I only remember this because a friend spied it and wondered whether it was new or seriously, seriously out of date (it was new).

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:10 am

I signed this last week after finding it through Facebook. From what I can gather on the FB page, they're still making Um Bongo, but the petition is to get it back into stores, as most aren't stockign it anymore. In UK, you won't be able to go to your local Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys for example as they refuse to sell it (WHY?) but apparently it can be found in some Morrisons stores and also corner shops.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 pm

DrBlue wrote:I'm fairly sure they still make it. I had a big bottle in my fridge sometime last year. I only remember this because a friend spied it and wondered whether it was new or seriously, seriously out of date (it was new).
Actually, thinking about it, it was Kia Ora. Which is the drink which is also too orangey for crows, apparently.