The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Coopdevil

Re: The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm

FatTrucker wrote: 95 did the weekend, older, wiser and much more agreeable. Metallica are the b*ll*cks live.
And that was the best intro to a band entering the stage EVAR!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:07 am

Never went to Donington :(

Been to Ozzfest though :D

I cant remeber the year but it was still a two stage, one day affair with Sabbath headlining. The was a great line up that year too including -
Pitchshifter
Fear Factory
Soulfly
Coal Chamber
Pantera (Scott Ian of Anthrax joined them on stage during "Walk" and blew Phil Anselmo of the stage)
Slayer (band of the day - My first moshpit experiance)
Ozzy

It was a shame that Korn pulled out. They were replaced by the Foo Fighters who did a good set but looked but were a bit out of place as 99% of the bands were classed as "heavy".

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Been once or twice myself,

1984, 1991 and 1995 being particular faves. 1988 would have been up there but the weather was crap if memory serves.
Best memory however is reserved for the year Bon Jovi headlined (I was there purely for Metallica and Anthrax), Loads of birds with rather effeminate boyfriends in tow slipping about in the shitty quagmire -getting their black velvet covered in censored!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 am

Never went 1990 was going to be my first year but I had to collect my gcse results up on the same day so that was deemed more important...gutted now though.

Only festival of sorts I have been to was Kerrangs Big Day Out at Milton Keynes...Metallica headlined along with bands like Marilyn manson,placebo,terrorvision and a lot more.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 am

I was third from the front on the second stage at Download 2003 when this happened : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAqHlBYUxzU
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:39 pm

I went to a few Monsters of Rock and was there in 1988 when 2 fans were crushed to death at the front during Guns n Roses :( It was a bittersweet day as I got backstage with a dodgy press pass and met a bunch of bands inc GnR but of course the deaths hung heavy over the day. I also went in '90 and still have all my shirts from those times. In fact I have a shirt from when Ozzy was first there in 1984 (I think it was) :shock:

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm

TheDude18 wrote:Never went to Donington :(

Been to Ozzfest though :D

I cant remeber the year but it was still a two stage, one day affair with Sabbath headlining. The was a great line up that year too including -
Pitchshifter
Fear Factory
Soulfly
Coal Chamber
Pantera (Scott Ian of Anthrax joined them on stage during "Walk" and blew Phil Anselmo of the stage)
Slayer (band of the day - My first moshpit experiance)
Ozzy

It was a shame that Korn pulled out. They were replaced by the Foo Fighters who did a good set but looked but were a bit out of place as 99% of the bands were classed as "heavy".
Hi There,

I also went to this festival - it was in '98 at the Milton Keynes bowl, I remember it being a pretty good day....weather hot....beer cold (ish)
Highlight for me was to see Soulfly, think they were on around 2 - 3 pm...but everyone went crazy (as they had just released their album not long before).
Agree that the Foo Fighters were pretty good, but were by far the most "lightweight" band of the day.

Thinking about that day now is making me feel very old :lol:

This was the only actual festival I went to, 2 - 3 dayers not my cup of tea to be honest..