The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:59 am

Just been having a nostalgic look back at these festivals... Did anyone else ever go to one of these?

I went to the last four, in 1992 (Iron Maiden headlined), 1994 (Aerosmith), 1995 (Metallica) and 1996 (Kiss/Ozzy) - great festivals, all of them! :D

Haven't been since it was rebranded as 'Download' and turned into a 3-day behemoth with go knows how many stages... :roll:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Rinoa

Re: The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Unfortunately I would've been too young to go to the Monsters of Rock festivals, but my brother went loads of times.

I went to Download in 2007 and absolutely loved it though (Iron Maiden closing the festival were out of this world!). Don't see what the problem with having 3 stages is though - just means there's a better chance of seeing more bands you like, plus a better opportunity to discover new bands ;)

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 pm

I watched some of the "highlights" on Scuzz.... a bizarre mixture. Five Finger Death Punch, ZZ Top, loads of emo knobs and Journey!!!!
Going Solo...................

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Rinoa wrote:Don't see what the problem with having 3 stages is though
There isn't one really, I just had my 'it was better in the old days' hat on for a moment there... ;)

I've been to the Wacken Open Air festival in Germany a couple of times and they had a minimum of 4 stages! :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Never been to Monsters Of Rock, but i did go to Ozzfest 2001 at Donnington, got to see, Ozzy, Slayer, Cradle Of Filth, Black Label Society among others.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:45 pm

I was at the Monsters Of Rock show at Milton Keynes a few years back, which was awesome :D (Roadstar, Queensryche, Thunder, Journey, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple) but never got to any of the Donington shows :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

madblokeything

Post by madblokeything » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm

i was at the 88 donnington when 2 lads died because 120,000 got in the gates ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:(

maiden headlined(still one of the best shows ive seen).....and a new band called ....guns and roses!!!!!!!!!!!! played second slot at 2 in the afternoon....

been to most since but did miss this year.
http://card.mygamercard.net/apps/geowar ... ything.png
http://.mygamercard.net/madblokeything.png

James A

Post by James A » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:04 am

Went to the 1996 which was a bit of a mixed bag. Had been waiting ages to see Seputlura but the singer Maxs step son had dies so they ended up playing as a three piece, it was pretty emotional and luckily i caught them in Manchester later that year before Max left the band. After that ended up getting wasted and passing out, waking up to Kiss very sunburnt and very ill.

I really wanted to go to the 1994 one but it was right in the middle of my bloody GCSES.

IM not a big fan of the three day thing. I went to the one with Maiden Headlining but all the band i wanted to see ended up clashing and i ended up going early after a punch up with the people camping next to us after i messed some emo lads hair up as he was sulking. Some people cant take a joke eh?

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:06 pm

Never went to the single stage Monsters of Rock. Shame because I would have loved the 1988 line up. Been to Download though four out of the last five years. The only problem with three stages is the chance that two great bands you want to see will be on at the same time. Other than that, a usually good weekend.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:56 am

My uncles went to loads of those Monsters Of Rock things.

I went to the first Download which was brilliant, when it had a mixture of music instead of the gumby shitefest it is now.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

James A wrote:Went to the 1996 which was a bit of a mixed bag. Had been waiting ages to see Seputlura but the singer Maxs step son had dies so they ended up playing as a three piece
I remember that... Thought Andreas Kisser did a good job on vocals that day, with help from other bands on that bill.

Kiss were fantastic at that festival. I never thought I'd get to see them do a show in the make-up but that was awesome! :D
James A wrote: I really wanted to go to the 1994 one but it was right in the middle of my bloody GCSES.
'94 was funny, with Sepultura and Pantera, arguably the two heaviest bands to appear at Donington up to that point, followed on the main stage by... Extreme! Which idiot thought that would be a good idea?! :lol:

madblokeything

Post by madblokeything » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 pm

i must admit i was smashed and laid under a burger trailer cause it was raining ....so i missed kiss ...no big deal to me but my mate was gutted ...........
http://card.mygamercard.net/apps/geowar ... ything.png
http://.mygamercard.net/madblokeything.png

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:52 am

I now go to download every year which is where monsters of rock used to be been 07 08 09

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:31 pm

madblokeything wrote:i must admit i was smashed and laid under a burger trailer cause it was raining ....so i missed kiss ...no big deal to me but my mate was gutted ...........

I miss read this but I lived in Ashby, and some of the kids from Dono went to my school. So, circa 1987 I was laid under a burger trailer at monsters of rock. Almost. She had big norks. W.A.S.P were awesome but hey it i was 1987... hardcore, you know the score. and everything.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:22 am

witchfinder wrote:Just been having a nostalgic look back at these festivals... Did anyone else ever go to one of these?

I went to the last four, in 1992 (Iron Maiden headlined), 1994 (Aerosmith), 1995 (Metallica) and 1996 (Kiss/Ozzy) - great festivals, all of them! :D

Haven't been since it was rebranded as 'Download' and turned into a 3-day behemoth with go knows how many stages... :roll:
I was there in 92 and 95.

92 was an experience. Me and a couple of mates went by coach. We were picked up locally but for some reason the coach terminated at Paddington Station on the way back (at 3 in the f**king morning). There we were freezing cold, dressed in T-Shirts with no money in the middle of f**king London.
Ended up building a fire next to the steps at Fenchurch Street and hunkering down for a few hours kip before the first train at 07:00.

95 did the weekend, older, wiser and much more agreeable. Metallica are the b*ll*cks live.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.