Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Doddsy wrote:I'd recommend any Nirvana fans get their hands on Nirvana Live at Reading DVD made available this year if you've not done so already. It shows how good and sometimes bad (Sliver?) Nirvana were back in their day.
Yep, my dvd arrived today. Been blasting it out, brilliant to watch. Whats the name of the 'Bez style' dancer guy, cant remember it, i know he just goes on stage and does his crazy dancing all the time, very funny to watch.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 pm

They also re-issued "Bleach" with additional live gig from early 1990 (Pre Dave Grohl, Chad Channing on Drums), got it for Christmas, it's really good to hear the live show (as I already had the original bleach CD).

Nirvana were great back in the day, I am a massive Nirvana fan (really got into the bootleg CD's in the mid 90's), but have only just got back into listening to their stuff again (mainly the bootlegs though).

I must admit I prefer In Utero to Nevermind.

The reading DVD is great as well (another xmas pressie!!)

If anyone wants any shows etc... just PM me - I'll be more than happy to oblige!

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 am

Big fan back then but really don't listen to them much these days. I remember where I was when I heard he died - in a bar 8)

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I had a friend at school who was mad on Nirvana and he was always really nasty to me about music, he was really stuck up and arrogant and said I didnt know enough about music and wasnt cool enough. I told him I had the "beavis and butthead experience" cd that had rare Nirvana track "I hate myself and want to die" on it and he just said, no you must have got it wrong, they wouldnt put a track like that on a Beavis and Butthead album. I just gave the CD away. I would have given it to him if he wasnt such a bastard to me.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:42 pm

You do seem like a potential spammer! Always one huge paragraph, doesn't seem to talk about retro games, always of topic or this section of the forum

Bizarre

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm

It's a strange post!

Anyway, In Utero is a masterpiece. As is Nevermind. Just because it was successful and slickly produced shouldn't take the shine away from a massive achievement. Anyone with ears should agree!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Fred83 wrote:radio friendly unit shifter was mental song,there was cd of nirvana released in 1994 called roma,a live concert they did in italy,it was released then pulled as quickly when kurt died,its very scarce now
I've got a CD called "XXII II MCMXCIV - Live In Europe" on an Italian label called Octopus, I think it may be a bootleg of the "Roma".

One of the band members keesp telling the security to "calm down" in Italian between songs which is pretty funny.

I highly recommend checking out a new release album called "Battle Of Seattle" by Little Roy which I picked up on vinyl yesterday. Little Roy was on Jools Holland last week, he is a reggae / ska singer from back in the 60s and 70s and has recorded an album of reggae covers of Nirvana songs. It's pretty amazing.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 pm

For me its In Utero/Bleach >Unplugged >Nevermind >Insesticide.

I was massively into the grunge scene and many of the bands are still my favourites and in heavy rotation. There are some amazing albums from that era that most wouldn't have heard off due to some cracking bands that just didn't (for various reasons) make it big.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Screaming Trees(if they were better looking they would have been massive), Paw (remember Jessie on the road rash soundtrack). Its my favourite kind of music, crunchy, sludgy guitars with copious amounts of feedback and distortion. Heaven.

Kurt and Eddie vedder are my heroes and i'm constantly saddened to think about the music Nirvana had yet to make. Eddie refused to take the title of generation spokesperson after Kurt died. In fact Pearl Jam went on to stop making music videos and deliberately made their music less mainstream by ditching the guitar solos and epic choruses. They also stood up for the fans being overcharged by Ticketmaster by going to war with them(PJ lost in the end).

I like to think eddie and kurt would have been good friends later on in life,certainly eddie had no beef with kurt. Theres even a story of them slow dancing to a song together towards the end of kurt's life.

Oh, I dont know if the bloke that posted in 2009 is still on the forum but Dave Grohl is a million year away from being a 'genius'. He's wrote some decent catchy pop rock songs, but the amount of drivel he has made is astounding. Bar the odd exception, most of his lyrics are extremely derivative and boring.

Go check out the last two Screaming Trees albums(sweet oblivion and dust) for some superb music. Dragline by Paw is another storming album.

Or you could always just feck off and listen to Ugly kid joe, bon bloody jovi or that dire band with the five fingered drummer.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 am

I was never a Nirvana fan, and failed to see why everyone went so crazy over them!

I've love 'Come As You Are' and 'Heart Shaped Box', and I liked their version of 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night' but other than that it all passed me by and I never thought that there was anything special about them.

Having said that, I've always thought that Dave Grohl is an amazing drummer, and I'm a massive Foo Fighters fan and I love his work with Them Crooked Vultures, but Nirvana I thought were pretty awful!
Press Play On Tape

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 pm

^Grohls music panders to the mainstream due to its poppy like nature. I dont have any problem with that,in fact I too like a lot of the foos stuff,but to say its anything other than catchy is just silly imo. Kurt wrote some amazing lyrics and his music paved the way for many other bands to enter the public eye.

If you enjoy grohls drumming then check out queens of the stoneage album songs for the deaf. I'd say thats his best work right there.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:23 pm

rapidly-greying wrote: If you enjoy grohls drumming then check out queens of the stoneage album songs for the deaf. I'd say thats his best work right there.
Agreed, although the Vultures album is very close second.

The Probot album has some pretty fierce tubthumping on it too.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I re-bought Nevermind and Unplugged: Live In New York a couple of weeks back and have been listening to them a fair bit. It's nice to listen to Nirvana after all this time without all the stigma attached to Kurt Cobain's suicide and his heroin fueled antics and just enjoy the music.

I was a big fan when they first got big, saw them twice at Reading festival and remember the hype being enormous. Listening to them now reminds me of a certain time in my life and has got me to check out other performers such as the Meat Puppets and Leadbelly, both of which are really interesting and have also inspired me to check out related performers.

Listening now I'm struck by what a lovely voice Kurt Cobain had, it's a shame what happened but killing yourself in such a way just shows what a messed up person he must have been, especially considering he'd just had a daughter. Shame really, the man was talented and I'd rather he'd taken some time out and got away from the hype (even though he invited and courted it) took some time out to get clean and rediscovered his love of making and performing music. I'm sure he had a lot more great music in him.

Being 35 now, thinking of being 27 years old and that messed up is difficult to understand, however over-hyped Nirvana were I think they made some fantastic music, no matter who they were influenced by or naive they might have been about the trappings of fame.

Great pop music, great punk music and genuine talent, I'd defy anyone to watch Unplugged: Live in New York and not feel something positive about their music, even if it's not your cup of (Penny Royal) tea.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

dste

Post by dste » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:27 am

Never really been a fan of Nevermind, just find it to be a boring album and very rarely listen to it.

Much prefer listening to In Utero and Unplugged and even Bleach over Nevermind.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am

Good artist/band, but not great. Definitely a case of rock 'n' roll martyrdom, the Cult of Kurt Cobain clouding people's judgement over the last 10-15 years. Unplugged was brilliant, though.

It does makes me laugh though to hear people talk of Nirvana as the 'greatest rock band ever'. They weren't even the best band in Seattle.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I'd highly recommend anyone who disliked the production on Nevermind to check out the 'Devonshire mixes' on the new Nevermind boxset - it's the original Butch Vig mix of the album (minus Polly). The drums and bass are heavier and the guitars don't sound so thin, it's definitely closer to how In Utero sounds than the original release of the album.

I'm also a huge fan of Unplugged and You Know You're Right (the last song Kurt ever recorded) :)