Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:05 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Fred83 wrote:foo fighters fan myself,i think gohl is a genius,i dont belive pressures of music drove cobain to his death,i think it was more likely personal demons he had,along with addictions,since the hard stuff can bring a depression
...and he had Courtney Love for a missus...
apparently the greatest f*ck in the world though according to Cobain on The Word !

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 pm

helluva price to pay though!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 pm

i just wish people would stop with these rubbish theorys about his death

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:32 pm

station wrote:I loved Nirvana at the time when they appeared, went off it in the late 90's (saturation), but re-recognised how awesome the band were.

Kurt Cobain was a whinging wimp, he had a great upbringing (according to his parents and his family and friends) who was just a selfish, spoilt brat. Half of his tales about his hard upbringing were made up (including staying under the nearby bridge according to that BBC documentary). Either way, this served a good subject for most of his songs. I thought they were awesome - you should check out the countless unreleased songs on bootlegs, they're all good (Laundry Room is one of the best Nirvana songs).
Yes.A good book that i finished reading was "heavier than heaven".It was done on 400 interviews along with police reports/hospital reports of kurt.Ok it is controversial because his widow ms love contributed to the book.But i still think its the best book,the last great book written about kurt/band was back in 1993 when he was still alive.Given him the final say in the book,since he sadly no longer with us heavier than heaven allows itself for mostly free speech
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri May 01, 2009 6:52 pm

I enjoyed reading that Bio Fred83. Towards the end I got the impression that here was a guy who's Rock Band reached the heights of success that only some hardworking bands can dream of, yet he threw it all away & now Cobains death has propelled him to cultural icon like status.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun May 17, 2009 9:07 am

jdanddiet wrote:
Fred83 wrote:foo fighters fan myself,i think gohl is a genius,i dont belive pressures of music drove cobain to his death,i think it was more likely personal demons he had,along with addictions,since the hard stuff can bring a depression
...and he had Courtney Love for a missus...
His name is Dave Grohl

Thats fandom for you.....

Nirvana were victims of the backlash that pop music was crap at the time (as it is all the time) and the music press picked up onthe first band that had a slight edge to them....

I must admit to hating everything Nirvana did , but have recently `discovered` Foofighters and love everything they have done....strange how old age changes your ears

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 am

Nice to see thread like this, I love NIrvana. Pretty much agree with psj's comments.

Fave songs include: Man who sold the world (unplugged), About a Girl, Heart Shaped Box, Come as you Are, In Bloom, Lithium, Pennyroyal Tea- could go on! Got loads on my ipod.

Very angsty music at times and captured the mood of a lot of people at the time, I tend to listen to them sometimes when a bit pissed about things/depressed; maybe some would say that's counter productive!

Someone also mentioned Soundgarden- Black Hole Sun; fantastic song and a great video to it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:57 am

Yeah black hole sun was superb.

I like it when music is 'real' and sometimes reflects the way the generation are feeling its aimed at, my dad slates that type of music, he wants jolly happy 80's music where its all 'feel good' mostly and happy stuff. I prefer 'real world' music, sometimes i like listening to 'reflective' music (some people might say depressing !), other times happy stuff.

But as you say theres a whole range of Nirvana stuff, some of it gives you tons of adrenalin, others are more down/depressing stuff, but i think theres a good mix. Anerysym (sp) is one of my favourites, love the instrumental intro for about a minute at the beginning.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 pm

well hes come back now,in guitar hero 5 :?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Been listening to incesticide a lot lately has some cracking tracks my faves on there are Been a son ,mollys lips,sliver :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:48 pm

i love the song "dive" on that album

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:19 am

Fred83 wrote:well hes come back now,in guitar hero 5 :?

Poor guy must be turning in his grave right now.

madblokeything

Post by madblokeything » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:10 pm

if youve read heavier than heaven....you must buy and read kurts diariers book(and get it in large hardback)..

everything in the heaven book then makes sense and you can see the end coming for him...you will read the book again just to time line the diary
http://card.mygamercard.net/apps/geowar ... ything.png
http://.mygamercard.net/madblokeything.png

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 pm

I'd recommend any Nirvana fans get their hands on Nirvana Live at Reading DVD made available this year if you've not done so already. It shows how good and sometimes bad (Sliver?) Nirvana were back in their day.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Doddsy wrote:I'd recommend any Nirvana fans get their hands on Nirvana Live at Reading DVD made available this year if you've not done so already. It shows how good and sometimes bad (Sliver?) Nirvana were back in their day.
i think that was a bootleg for years,only been legalised now....