Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Must admit its a cant win situation. I love it when a band are more 'underground', then youre a fan of them, they get successful so its cool as you felt you were there 'from the start' but then when they become mainstream and every little kid likes them and Chris Moyles is playing them on radio 1, drives me mad !

I like my bands to be successful but i'm happy when my favourite groups 'go off the radar' a bit so all the pop fans go away !

Been many great Nirvana songs

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

radio friendly unit shifter was mental song,there was cd of nirvana released in 1994 called roma,a live concert they did in italy,it was released then pulled as quickly when kurt died,its very scarce now

thl

Post by thl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 pm

It's been a long time that I remember the grunge/alternative scene and Nirvana are the band that I'll never forget. Use to heard the Nevermind album so often that the music videos (Smells Like Teen Spirits, Lithuim, Come As You Are and In Bloom) got aired so often during those periods. As for nowadays, these videos still get request on interactive music channels. Also came across the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against The Machine and Smashing Pumpkins.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Nirvana have to be one of the most over-rated bands that will ever draw breath.

I was about 13 when Nirvana first got massive, and everyone at school had that bloody t-shirt with that smiley face on, and anyone who had a walkman had Nevermind playing on it. And for the life of me I could never understand why. And people say Jungle music was bad!?

Crap, downtuned songs by a bunch of scruffy gypos who seemed to glorify being depressed. Ive got a good friend who suffered with depression and its not something to be celebrated.

And people only still like them because he's dead. If they had called it a day and finished the band nobody would give a frogs fat arse about them nowadays.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 pm

i think the ones that glorify depression are the emos

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Nirvana, ok band, big Pixies influence there.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:19 am

STranger81 wrote:Nirvana have to be one of the most over-rated bands that will ever draw breath.

I was about 13 when Nirvana first got massive, and everyone at school had that bloody t-shirt with that smiley face on, and anyone who had a walkman had Nevermind playing on it. And for the life of me I could never understand why. And people say Jungle music was bad!?

Crap, downtuned songs by a bunch of scruffy gypos who seemed to glorify being depressed. Ive got a good friend who suffered with depression and its not something to be celebrated.

And people only still like them because he's dead. If they had called it a day and finished the band nobody would give a frogs fat arse about them nowadays.
Cant agree with that, i dont think the musics depressing at all. Used to play a lot of their songs before i played football to pump me up, i didnt go out crying onto the pitch as they were depressing ! Most people seem to know just a few of their releases and slate them because of that. Its like when people say The Smiths just wont depressing songs (they didnt) or Oasis only had one hit with Wonderwall, just a blinkered memory.

Must admit at the time i found it weird that the dweebs at school had a band they suddenly loved but to be fair they became the 'cool' ones as they enjoyed great music when the masses were into crappy Top 30 pop stuff.

A lot of great songs on their albums, i wasnt a fan to begin with (mostly because of the drippy long haired emo fans who must have been anti-soap and spot cream which i saw everywhere which put me off) , i gave their music a chance and suddenly i was totally loving it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

i will admit that i am not the greatest fan of nirvana, nor am i a fan of Kurt Cobain and his entirely selfish act. but i will say this, In untero was a fine album, much better than nevermind and without Nirvana we wouldn't have Foo Fighters.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Fred83 wrote:radio friendly unit shifter was mental song,there was cd of nirvana released in 1994 called roma,a live concert they did in italy,it was released then pulled as quickly when kurt died,its very scarce now
ROMA is superb, I have a bootleg double CD of their headline set from Reading Festival too.

The live version of Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is better than the studio version, just brilliant. They opened MTCs Nirvana Live n Loud with it too. Great opening song.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Grizzly wrote:i will admit that i am not the greatest fan of nirvana, nor am i a fan of Kurt Cobain and his entirely selfish act. but i will say this, In untero was a fine album, much better than nevermind and without Nirvana we wouldn't have Foo Fighters.
Yeah you can say suicide is selfish but without knowing the full reasons why people do it i think of it as rather sad, than selfish. Obviously things must have been bad for him, shame.

I really like Nevermind but as i play that to death, like you say In Utero is very good. Would have been interesting to see what would happen if they were still around, would they have come back with a poor next album, would Cobain had left if he didnt like the direction they were going (Eg Foo Fighters type of music etc).

But In Utero is very good

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 pm

foo fighters fan myself,i think gohl is a genius,i dont belive pressures of music drove cobain to his death,i think it was more likely personal demons he had,along with addictions,since the hard stuff can bring a depression

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 am

Nirvana themselves were great, but when I look at all the dross they inspired, I'm not sure it was worth it.

station

Post by station » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 pm

I loved Nirvana at the time when they appeared, went off it in the late 90's (saturation), but re-recognised how awesome the band were.

Kurt Cobain was a whinging wimp, he had a great upbringing (according to his parents and his family and friends) who was just a selfish, spoilt brat. Half of his tales about his hard upbringing were made up (including staying under the nearby bridge according to that BBC documentary). Either way, this served a good subject for most of his songs. I thought they were awesome - you should check out the countless unreleased songs on bootlegs, they're all good (Laundry Room is one of the best Nirvana songs).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:23 am

Dont know tons about his past, even if he had a good upbringing it doesnt mean he'll be mr happy all the time ! But it doesnt seem as major as Vanilla Ice who made out what a rough ghetto he was brought up in when in actual fact he had a rich family and was a spoilt kid.

Big fan of Nirvanas but i wouldnt bother reading the books about them, just interested in their music

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Fred83 wrote:foo fighters fan myself,i think gohl is a genius,i dont belive pressures of music drove cobain to his death,i think it was more likely personal demons he had,along with addictions,since the hard stuff can bring a depression
...and he had Courtney Love for a missus...