Seinfeld!!!!!! Whada ya think?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tariq

Re: Seinfeld!!!!!! Whada ya think?

Post by Tariq » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am

Watched Seinfeld religiously throughout its run. Absolutely brilliant. For me it reached its peak around seasons three and four when Larry David's writing was at its sharpest and the characters had become fully developed although there was never a duff episode throughout all nine seasons. 'The Puffy Shirt' from season five is a particular favorite along with the entire story arc from season four involving Jerry and George attempting to pitch a show about nothing (essentially, Seinfeld itself) to television executives. Again, brilliant :-D

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Tariq wrote: For me it reached its peak around seasons three and four when Larry David's writing was at its sharpest and the characters had become fully developed although there was never a duff episode throughout all nine seasons.

I thought it was at it's best in seasons 6 and 7.It just felt like the feel of the show had been tweaked and refined for the better and George was at his funniest.Seasons 3 and 4 sorta pale in comparison.The whole thing with Jerry and George trying to get the show made was just a little weird.It didn't work for me.

Tariq

Post by Tariq » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 am

lexiomiguel wrote:I thought it was at it's best in seasons 6 and 7. It just felt like the feel of the show had been tweaked and refined for the better and George was at his funniest.

I definitely agree that the later seasons were very very funny but my one criticism of them is that the characters by that point did, at times, become slight parodies of themselves. George and Kramer in particular. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love those later seasons. I just think that the show hit a creative peak around season four and, for me, that was due in large part to Larry David's writing.