Seinfeld!!!!!! Whada ya think?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

lexiomiguel

Seinfeld!!!!!! Whada ya think?

Post by lexiomiguel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 pm

Have only been watching this show for about a year now as when it originally aired I was a toddler but I already feel its my favorite TV show ever.At it's best the series is a blissfully hilarious situational comedy and at it's worst,a youthful sitcom struggling to find its rhythm.Respectively,these instances are seasons 6 and 7,and then seasons 1-3.Seasons 8 and 9 are pretty good but get out of hand at times.The show was at it's best when it was funny yet realistic.

Anybody else think that it was a crime for Jason Alexander to not get an Emmy? I mean,at first Kramer was very funny to me but after awhile,I realized just how funny George was.I would have to say that my favorite character is George's father,Jerry Stiller.Of the the four main characters,though,it's George.

SirClive

Re: Seinfeld!!!!!! Whada ya think?

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 am

For a long tome it was my favourite show on TV, but in England it was on very late at night so a lot of people won't know it particularly well. We did have a cable channel show the complete run though and I video-taped every episode and would watch it every night for about a year (that is about 3 full runs through!).

My fave episode is the one where they all have to get the trai. George gets chained to a bed, Kramer loses money on a horse, Elaine gets stuck on a train and Jerry meets the naked businessman. Superb stuff.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm

it was good in na random kind of way, it was famously described as the show where nothing happens (just like all soaps) but this was a good thing because it covered many issues that you thought of from day to day but were never covered on tv. The small guy with the glasses was the best.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 pm

I couldn't get into it, I think I was too young. Watched all the Curbs and they're hilarious, Larry David FTW.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:I couldn't get into it, I think I was too young. Watched all the Curbs and they're hilarious, Larry David FTW.

Exactly the same here - tried to watch it loads of times, remember Danny Baker on the radio banging on about how seriously underrated it was in this country, but I just didn't find it funny.

Could never try to go back to it now after watching Curb.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:14 pm

I love Seinfeld, used to watch it when it was on beeb 2 late nights, along with Larry Sanders, although it took me a while to get into that. I've got all the dvds and the Curb ones as well.
Splink!

station

Post by station » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:01 pm

I watched it in 1998 at a mate's and didn't get it.

I then watched again in mid-2000's when it was on everynight, and you really get into it once you see all the characters.
One of the best and most intellegent comedies ever. I love it and have the DVD's. I can watch them over and over, I think it's awesome.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:08 pm

That's it. You have to connect with the characters. I really need to get the DVDs as I wore the tapes out.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm

felgekarp wrote:I love Seinfeld, used to watch it when it was on beeb 2 late nights, along with Larry Sanders, although it took me a while to get into that.
I could not stand Larry Sanders, I watched it when it was on and I hated it ... well, I hated him :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Floob

Post by Floob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 pm

I think if you like Seinfeld, you'll love Curb Your Enthusiasm.
http://www.hbo.com/larrydavid/about/

Pure Quality.
Retro Gaming on a Raspberry Pi: https://goo.gl/Yfy8kj

Zombi

Post by Zombi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 pm

One of the best sitcoms ever IMO.Loved the episode where everything runs backwards and Georges answer phone tune too(if you love the show you'll know the one i'm on about.)
The Angry Jock wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I love Seinfeld, used to watch it when it was on beeb 2 late nights, along with Larry Sanders, although it took me a while to get into that.
I could not stand Larry Sanders, I watched it when it was on and I hated it ... well, I hated him :lol:
Larry Sanders is one weird looking dude and i couldn't get on with his show either.Although saying that i used to find the Garry Shandling show he did before that fcuking hilarious so i should probably give the Larry show another try.

Does anyone here remember Night Stand? I must have watched Paramount Comedy every night for about 3 years and this is one of the late night progs they used to have on.It was a spoof of Springer style talk shows and was pretty damn good.

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Did anybody else think that Jerry Stiller(George's dad) was the funniest?I think the scenes when George is with his parents are some of the funniest.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 am

lexiomiguel wrote:Did anybody else think that Jerry Stiller(George's dad) was the funniest?I think the scenes when George is with his parents are some of the funniest.
Not a fan of Seinfield but REALLY liked King of Queens with Kevin James. Jerry Stiller was in that also, very funny guy. Watched several seasons of King of Queens, found it very very funny, very underated comedy

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 am

Funny you should mention this show now, because I just got into it 2 month ago and bought seasons 5 & 6. This morning I just watched the first disc of season 1. Best traditional sitcom I've seen yet.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 am

I really liked the show, it had some good characters. Always managed to make me laugh. :)