For the 30-something's amongst us.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:23 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:What's wrong with having videogames and getting drunk in the park as memories? Those are some of my favourites. Managed to avoid the pregnancy, but it wasn't for the lack of trying ;)
The bollockings you would get from your folks when staggering in reeking of Diamond White on a Saturday night. That's what's wrong! I'm still traumatised at having my Speccy taken away for 2 weeks as punishment back then...
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 am

Didn't happen to me. Didn't happen to my kids either. As long as we/they are sensible about getting home safely (stay in groups, don't go alone) its not a problem.

I can't even face the smell of cider now, it just reminds me of vomit(ing).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

beesty

Post by beesty » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:34 pm

One small bit about building igloos out of snow drifts.
Yes i did it i hope someday my daughter will be able to do this
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

zx6rman_uk

Post by zx6rman_uk » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Diamond White,,, the sale of which to under 18s should be banned.... Oh it is,, hehehehe,, good memories

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Guys,

what about almost wetting myself at the bit in 'Jim'll Fix It' where the cubs go on the rollercoaster and the fat kid's eating his sandwiches.
Also, my punctured 'Stretch Armstrong' leaking on the lounge carpet.

Oh and owning a digital watch and thinking I was some kind of spaceman.

What about ,seeing 'Superman' at the Pictures and running around my lounge after with my coat tied around my neck like a cape.

And lastly, queing at my local Pavillion cinema for hours to get in to see 'Dark Crystal'.

Can think of many more but I won't bore you with them now!

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:15 pm

Just one more, crying at the TV when Shep died....ah...I'm welling up again.

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 am

russgalleywood wrote:Just one more, crying at the TV when Shep died....ah...I'm welling up again.
Kind of similar, but anybody in the South West at the time who used to watch TSW might remember when they finally released Gus Honeybun back into the wild on Dartmoor. His parents were there, and it was heartbreaking. TSW had lost the ITV contract to Westcountry, and it was all change. After years of Gus Honeybun's Magic Birthdays, the era was over. Damn Westcountry TV to hell, and their faceless out-of-vision continuity ambience!
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Kaptain_Von

Re:

Post by Kaptain_Von » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 am

Hungry Horace wrote: Kind of similar, but anybody in the South West at the time who used to watch TSW might remember when they finally released Gus Honeybun back into the wild on Dartmoor. His parents were there, and it was heartbreaking. TSW had lost the ITV contract to Westcountry, and it was all change. After years of Gus Honeybun's Magic Birthdays, the era was over. Damn Westcountry TV to hell, and their faceless out-of-vision continuity ambience!
I remember Gus Honeybun on Westward before it became TSW. We could just about receive Westward in Dorset if the wind was in the right direction and there was a U in the month or something. When I was six I got my name read out and six bunny hops...woohoo!

Watching Gus Honeybun became a bit of a ritual with myself and my mates even when we were older and we weren't sure whether to laugh or cry when they 'released' him back into the wild. The parents, the hundreds of brothers and sisters and Gus looking vaguely forlorn before vanishing into a rabbit hole.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:28 am

I always used to wonder who Gus Honeybun was as Look-in always did the regional programme listings at the back of the mag and the name was mentioned. Saw a pic of him on a few retro tv sites. We never had anything like that at Tyne Tees - Just a middle aged (in vision) continuity announcer with a pic of a birthday cake behind him! :)

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:43 am

andy vaisey wrote:
AndyH wrote:Excellent list, some things to add... LEGO...
Anyone else noticed that most of LEGO today already seems prebuilt? You seem to snap a few specially moulded pieces together and the model is built! Not like when I had spaceship stuff and had to build everything from scratch!
Yep......I remember when all you had was a bag of red and white blocks, all the same size and shape and some imagination.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:34 pm

stretch armstrong,subutteo,watching the world cup in 78,players and teams you'd never seen before,the distinctive sound of the muffled commentary,it was just class!

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:26 pm

I remember the 10p mix ups at the local foreboys newsagents, a bag of various sweets for 10p, and at the same newsagents you could rent videos for about £1, and buy "Zoids" modle kits for about £2.99, and also i remember the magazine "Look in" which i got from the newsagents.
8)
Press play on tape

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 pm

(sings) "La La La La La Look Innnnn" :)

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:14 am

What about ,seeing 'Superman' at the Pictures and running around my lounge after with my coat tied around my neck like a cape.
What about playing out in really strong wind and pulling your open coat above your head into an inverted triangle-sail arrangement and seeing how far you could lean into the wind before falling...

Or seeing if your dog got the same buzz out of Space Dust as you did...
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 am

What about getting right up close to the TV when Hawaii 5-O is on and pretending you're Superman as the camera zooms in on Jack Lord.

Boy, that's sad.